Lighting for backpacking camp

KRATOCT

FNG
First elk hunt for me coming up in a couple weeks, trying to gather all that I’ll need and I keep thinking about a light source for the dark hours once you’ve backpacked in and are either inside your tent or just outside the tent socializing with other guys in the group. I have a couple headlamps. I’m curious if this is the standard way of seeing once the sun goes down or if there are suggestions for lightweight and compact lantern type light sources.

gelton

WKR
I have one of these and thought I lost it so I replaced it with the one below it but I ended up finding the original Hozuki.

Perfect for the tent or when chilling out for dinner.

Bighorner

WKR
Personally, I think one of the best parts of backcountry hunting is eating by headlamp, the hanging out for a little bit by moon light. Its pretty seldom a person can be completely away from artificial light.

Yup I just throw something on to diffuse the headlamp. Toss the lamp into a gamebag and hang from inside the tent, a tree limb etc.

Legend

WKR
Usually too tired to do much other than the essentials. So i never need anything other than the head lamp. Nalgen bottle is a good trick if you have a tent that needs light.

cssmith85

FNG
As mentioned above, Luci lights work great, solar rechargeable. I carry one in my back pack. I have used mine for several years with no problems. Have one in my truck all the time with the other 5 flashlights. They have updated versions now. Here is a link or two. I was thinking about getting the pro series an the string lights too.

Vandy321

WKR
Luci light for a tent and to string around camp, get the tiny little copper wire/led string lights...plus into a battery pack. They take zero energy and cost aboht $8 for a 30ft string.

Pm me I can try to find the brand and send a pic when I get home

Luci lights are great for tent/camp. I also carry it in my pack in the event an animal needs to be cut up at night. Easy to hang on a branch and have additional light to see while cutting.

kpk

WKR
I just bought a black diamond moji for hanging out in the tent. Only had to use it 2 nights so far but was very happy with it.

Holocene

WKR
+1 for the Luci lights. Super lightweight, no heavy batteries, durable, good soft light.

I got a 3-pack on sale at Sierra Trading Post and we use them all the time. It clips on my pack during the day to charge. My bud and I each have one and use them for ambiance and low light while eating and winding down.

Of course, for technical tasks like lighting a stove, digging through my pack, or going to take a wiz, I still use a headlamp.

Just don't want to waste precious headlamp charge on social time just in case I need it for blood tracking or emergencies.

BBob

WKR
Like this? I still have mine from the … a while ago.
I still have one, I haven't used it in a really long time. Been using a Luci for about 5 years now. I was just given a BD Moji but haven't used it yet. Cool light but for pack hunts I'll probably stick with the Luci for now.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
If I’m backpacked in, not carrying a lantern. I’d put that in the comfort item category, and if weight isn’t a concern then by all means.

Get a god headlamp and make sure you’ve got a colored (ie red, green) light option if you’re nearby decent terrain holding animals.