Lightweight Affordable Rifle

Tmb59181

FNG
I have a custom 300 RUM that I use for long range hunting/shooting. I love this rifle but have noticed times where it wasn’t ideal. If I am able to get a rest I can comfortably make a long shot. I am however looking for a rifle that wil be an alternative when I want to pack something in farther that I don’t have to worry about carrying such a heavy gun.

I also don’t want to spend a ton of money. I’d rather put my money into the optics. Any suggestions? I am open to caliber suggestions as well. I’ve been leaning toward 6.5 creedmoor personally, but am open. I’ve looked at the ruger American predator in 6.5. Does anybody have experience with this particular gun? What are your thoughts? Thanks!!

Okhotnik

WKR
$400 range. Ruge predator. Great rifle for the money. Can find a Howa on sale in that price range too.

$600ish. Tikka. Find them on sale

caliber dependent on range and type of game. Cant go wrong with 30-06 for all around caliber. Deer would go 6.5 cm because of availability of good ammo

Mountainman3

Lil-Rokslider
I have a custom 300 RUM that I use for long range hunting/shooting. I love this rifle but have noticed times where it wasn’t ideal. If I am able to get a rest I can comfortably make a long shot. I am however looking for a rifle that wil be an alternative when I want to pack something in farther that I don’t have to worry about carrying such a heavy gun.

I also don’t want to spend a ton of money. I’d rather put my money into the optics. Any suggestions? I am open to caliber suggestions as well. I’ve been leaning toward 6.5 creedmoor personally, but am open. I’ve looked at the ruger American predator in 6.5. Does anybody have experience with this particular gun? What are your thoughts? Thanks!!

How low in weight do you wanna go? I have a ruger American, a Winchester XPR and a Kimber mountain accent. They all shoot good and are very light weight. You can find the XPR’s for around $300ish right now. Bergara makes a extremely accurate rifle and their Hunter model is under 7# and it has a way better stock on it vs the Ruger and Winchester I mentioned above. You can find them for around $600. You can pair it with some lightweight Talley rings and a leupold VX5 or VX6 and one fine shooting rifle.

What caliber? I have 2 - 6.5 that shoot great. My kimber is in .280AI. With the 280 you can just about get 7 mag performance without all the recoil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

$400 range. Ruge predator. Great rifle for the money. Can find a Howa on sale in that price range too.

$600ish. Tikka. Find them on sale

caliber dependent on range and type of game. Cant go wrong with 30-06 for all around caliber. Deer would go 6.5 cm because of availability of good ammo
Beat me to it.

Savage trophy hunters are pretty light too, if you choose a lightweight optic and especially if you get one with a 20" barrel - you can come in right at 7 lbs. total.

OP
T

Tmb59181

FNG
Yeah I’d say 7ish pounds with scope maybe up to 7.5 would be fine. My current rifle is much heavier. So anything in that range would suffice. If looking at a tikka vs a predator is the extra 200 or so dollars worth the cost difference for those that hav experience with both?

Dirt Wagon

Lil-Rokslider
Not sure what your definition of affordable is, but here's a Savage 16 Lightweight Hunter in 6.5 Creedmoor for $582 shipped to your FFL.

Savage Lightweight Storm 6.5 Ceedmoor

5.6 lbs and stainless with a 20" barrel. I'd probably pick the 7mm-08 or 308 over the Creedmoor, Only time I'd pick the Creedmoor is if I'm already looking at a 243 Win.

Edit: Found an old post n here using the LWH > Savage LWH Thread

Last edited:

BigWoods

WKR
Kimber Hunter - Come from the factory at ~5lbs 8oz. With about half hour of work, you can take 8oz of silicone out of the stock making a 5lb rifle for around $700 (sometimes they are on sale for $650); that's really hard to beat.

skywalkr

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah I’d say 7ish pounds with scope maybe up to 7.5 would be fine. My current rifle is much heavier. So anything in that range would suffice. If looking at a tikka vs a predator is the extra 200 or so dollars worth the cost difference for those that hav experience with both?
Haven’t experienced both but I have thoroughly enjoyed my membership in the Rokslide chapter of the Tikka cult.

Yes. In my opinion, the Tikka is worth $200 more.

Jimbob

WKR
My top three

1. Kimber Hunter
2. Tikka T3 lite or Superlite
3. Savage lightweight hunter

My son has a Ruger American and it is decent.

Buzby

WKR
Kimber hunter. Pull the 8-10oz of gel out of the stock and you got a 5lb rifle. Add a light weight scope and you’ll be around 6lbs

Have a Savage Lightweight Hunter in 308 Win and is topped with a Vortex Razor LH (3-15). Loaded it is right at 7 pounds. Shoots the Precision Hunter ammo well under MOA. However, thin barrel does heat up fast (not an issue when hunting). The bolt is sloppy. But she's a shooter and has never failed me.

The 20" barrel on it does lose velocity quickly. My chromo'd velocity is 2518 which gives it about 500-550 yards of killing distance (assuming 1800 fps for reliable expansion).

For comparable price, look at a T3X in Lite or Super Lite. Just be aware of the slower than normal twist rates on everything but the 6.5s.

SDHNTR

WKR
Imo, the only acceptable (and just barely by my standards) inexpensive production guns I’ve seen are Tikka and Howa. The stock on the Ruger American is an embarrassment and the action not much better. Feels like a toy in the hands. Savages can be really rough and sloppy. They both seem to shoot well though if fit and finish isn’t important to you.

Ive also moved past pencil thin barrels to save weight. They are just hard to shoot accurately. I’d rather take a heavier bbl that is shorter, and flute it to save weight.

I got my wife the ruger American predator in 6.5 Creedmoor and she loves it. It shoots really well with the factory ammo we’ve used. Once I start making my own loads for it I think it’ll only get better.