"Lightweight" backpack hunting is an exercise in frustration. Total weight?

Volume is the biggest thing I am constantly trying to pare down as well. Cheap synthetic sleeping bag, vs expensive down quilt is a big difference in total volume. Extra clothing/rain gear also eats up volume. A sawyer squeeze vs a katadyn pump is one area where I can theoretically save volume, weight AND money in one go.

If you're worried about weight, look at how much water you are packing. I realized I could upgrade packs to shed 12 oz, or switch to a Sawyer if I'm in water rich areas and save 4-5 lbs by not lugging around a 3L bladder.

I think sleep systems vary wildly on the volume. Me and my hunting partner both did 7 days with Kuiu Ultra 4000's with Seek Talon's for a little extra room and did not feel pressed for volume.
Going to spring on a quilt in the near future, and am hoping that will make the difference. I would love to do a more mobile elk hunt this year, where I hunt with camp on my back. However, there is no way that I’m gonna do it if I have to spend my whole hunt wedging a giant pack through the brush while I hunt.

Poser

WKR
A Quilt definitely reduces your volume considerably. My biggest volume issue is food because I tend to require a lot of calories in order to perform. That being said, I’ve done 9 days in Oct out of 5500 capacity pack without any packing struggles. Throw in a stove, extra insulation (especially boot blankets) for a Nov hunt, and I’ll fill that same capacity for a 3-4 day hunt.

Outdoorjoe318

Lil-Rokslider
I've worked very hard to get my weight down, and still don't seem to be able to get under the low 40s. Oh well, I figure do what I can but at the end of the day I'll take what I need, and that includes all the heavy stuff the op mentions...glass being the main offender.