Staff member
what did you find for a bone blade? I take it it comes with a wood blade

Elkangle

WKR
I was just going to modify a blade

Pretty simple design, cut to length and drill a 1/8 inch hole on either side

Elkangle

WKR
1st trip down with the suluk saw...I forgot to swap out the wood blade for a bone blade but was still able to hack up a couple caribou... abused the heck out of it beings it had that wood blade on there and pretty much used it like a hatchet on the ribs but she held strong !! For the weight it's hard to complain...

Was able to split the skulls easily even with the wood blade

Hope this helps

Another update

Two mature bull elk down and two more euro mounts...I used a hack saw blade to replace the wood blade but it was too flimsy and had a hard time tracking...also the saw is still just alil too short for a good skull plate cut with the bigger bulls...it can be done but would be a bunch of short strokes...

Freaking heads are heavy...one was 26 pounds and the other 35...285 inches and 320

Last edited:
This looks like a great option. Anyone else try it. Could you cap an elk skull?

You definitely could.
Not the easiest because the blade is shot so it would be a lot of short strokes.
But you could carry a 9" blade separately would make it easier.

Reactions: prm
I use a sagen on whitetail someband it’s great but carry a orange bacho laplander all the time.Its very useful for clearing ground blinds,camp wood,and works on game ok.

Unckebob

WKR
Wyoming saw. Multipurpose. You will not regret it.

Because I don't normally worry about weight that much, I am usually an observer in this forum.

When I saw the references to a "Wyoming Saw" and did not know what it was, I discovered it was in the box of random stuff my dad gave to me after he stopped hunting.

For the cost of new blades, I now have a portable hacksaw.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Because I don't normally worry about weight that much, I am usually an observer in this forum.

When I saw the references to a "Wyoming Saw" and did not know what it was, I discovered it was in the box of random stuff my dad gave to me after he stopped hunting.

For the cost of new blades, I now have a portable hacksaw.
Wyoming saws aren’t the lightest but I just can’t imagine heading out on a hunting trip without mine. The short ones sort of suck, I capped a moose with the short one one time and it was a tough job, I was already smoked and it felt like it took me an hour.

This year I had my full size saw with me and I was dreading the capping (it’s always the very last thing I do, moose butchered, loaded on the boat, gear packed up….anyways, the longer wyoming saw blade got the job done in ~ 15-20mins.

SwiftShot

WKR
Outdoor Edge Bone saw 2.5 oz. It deals with bone just fine, weighs nothing and cost 20 bucks. Mine has split a few bull elk over the last 2 years without problems. I cut the skull on one mulie with it and it worked fine. It is 2.5oz that is the point.

Highhuntin

Lil-Rokslider
Outdoor Edge Bone saw 2.5 oz. It deals with bone just fine, weighs nothing and cost 20 bucks. Mine has split a few bull elk over the last 2 years without problems. I cut the skull on one mulie with it and it worked fine. It is 2.5oz that is the point.
Which model are you using?

SwiftShot

WKR
Which model are you using?

4.5" Flip N' Zip. It is not as fast as some of the bigger ones but it weights nothing and it is always in the kill kit now. It truly rocks for as small as it is. I mean it is not building no log cabin but for splitting a pelvis or taking the skull plate off with the horns it works.​

Highhuntin

Lil-Rokslider

4.5" Flip N' Zip. It is not as fast as some of the bigger ones but it weights nothing and it is always in the kill kit now. It truly rocks for as small as it is. I mean it is not building no log cabin but for splitting a pelvis or taking the skull plate off with the horns it works.​

Thank you, I have the grizz saw but don’t like the handle so looking for something a little smaller and lighter mostly to cut the skull, will check into that one

Last edited:

SwiftShot

WKR
Thank you, I have the grizz saw but don’t like the handle so looking for something a little smaller and lighter mostly to cut the skull, will check into that one
If you are only looking for the skull, and want to go lightweight. Well just a hacksaw blade with a little tape on it works great as well.

Highhuntin

Lil-Rokslider
If you are only looking for the skull, and want to go lightweight. Well just a hacksaw blade with a little tape on it works great as well.
Yes I’m only looking to cut skulls, I’ll check into that option sounds right up my alley, Cheap and light! I’ve been using a Kershaw exchange blade knife that has a saw along with hunting blade and fillet blade but the saw is a bit course for bone I think, what kind of blade do you suggest course or fine?

SwiftShot

WKR
Yes I’m only looking to cut skulls, I’ll check into that option sounds right up my alley, Cheap and light! I’ve been using a Kershaw exchange blade knife that has a saw along with hunting blade and fillet blade but the saw is a bit course for bone I think, what kind of blade do you suggest course or fine?
Go with anything over 12 Teeth per inch. The only problem with fine Teeth is it gets gummed up with flesh easy. As long as you get the skin and meat off the skull where you are going to cut it will be fine.