Lightweight down puffy recommendation

TheCougar

WKR
Gents, looking for some recommendations for a light/mid weight puffy that meets the following criteria:

1. Down
2. 10oz-ish or under
3. Solid color
4. No hood

Other than KUIU SD Ultra, I haven’t found anything that meets those criteria, but there has to be a couple of other options.

Last edited:
OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
That MH is a good one. A bit on the shiny side! Also the Montbell Superior Down Jacket also, pretty reasonably priced as well. And found a mammut broad peak light as well. Putting my time to good use while stuck in the airport.

Last edited:

Muttly

WKR
Look at the lowest likely temps to be used as well.
I,m in SE Alaska, 20° is about the coldest I,ll run into here. Got my wife a hooded Kuiu super down, which weighs less than half of the Uncompaghe I use. It,s also shed light rain here, which is a plus.
Wouldn't consider it for Fairbanks type weather. For moderate cold though, extremely light, packable, and decent price.

I just did a ton of research with the same exact specs before making my purchase and I narrowed it down between Mountain Hardwear ghost whisperer and Montbell Plasma I ended up getting the MH I’ll see how it works this year.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
The MH is better than any mentioned above IME. It doesn't loose feathers like the Kuiu or Montbell jackets do.

I would not worry about how shiny the jacket is. Tanya and I have shot a pile of animals wearing these jackets.

_DSC1635.JPG

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I trust Outdoor Gear Lab reviews. Mountain Hardware Ghost Whisperer got a very weak rating for warmth, I did not buy it even though I wanted to when it was on steeply discounted sale.

Check out the review of many top down jackets below:

Outdoor Gear Lab- Mens Down Jackets Review

Its 3+ oz lighter than the rest I hope the others are warmer.

@TheCougar the MH will never be the warmest. But its the jacket Tanya and I take everywhere. Its layer well under the LPP or similar jackets when it's really cold. It's surprisingly warm with a shell over it and I find it more durable than most reviews give it credit for. I try to stay with hunting companies when I can, so I bought a Kuiu Super Down Ultra. It's not even close IMO.

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
Its 3+ oz lighter than the rest I hope the others are warmer.

@TheCougar the MH will never be the warmest. But its the jacket Tanya and I take everywhere. Its layer well under the LPP or similar jackets when it's really cold. It's surprisingly warm with a shell over it and I find it more durable than most reviews give it credit for. I try to stay with hunting companies when I can, so I bought a Kuiu Super Down Ultra. It's not even close IMO.
When you say, “it’s not even close”, what exactly do you mean?

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
When you say, “it’s not even close”, what exactly do you mean?

In warmth, sizing and keeping feathers in the jacket. The SD Ultra jacket also seems to go flat(lose loft) from compression when layered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
In warmth, sizing and keeping feathers in the jacket. The SD Ultra jacket also seems to go flat(lose loft) from compression when layered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got it, that is what I am looking for. Lightweight, can layer under my uncompaghre, good quality. Can wear it around town too.

Benjblt

WKR
The Arc'teryx cerium LT meets the criteria and I believe it has just a little bit more weight.

You should check out the First Lite Brooks. It has the same weight of fill as the Arc'teryx but not all down. The intriguing thing is it has a much more durable face fabric then other jackets in its class.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I was on the same search you were on last year. Check out the Arc'teryx Cerium LT Down Jacket (comes with or without hood, I got the hood). Comes in at 9.9oz. If you wanna go lighter they make the Cerium SL (super light) at 7.1oz.

Problem is everyone thinks, I'm hunting gonna go buy something from a hunting company. Brands like Arc'teryx and Patagonia have done everything any hunting company has done but better years ago in my opinion. Don't be afraid to branch out. You can grab great deals when things go on sale, what I did. I should mentioned I was hunting and went down to 0° degrees for about a week with layers without issues. Had to take the jacket off at times when hiking. But sitting and glassing, I felt great. Depends how cold you get.