Lightweight FAK Pre-Trip Checks

Hussar

Lil-Rokslider
How remote are you going on this trip? Are you only going to be a couple hours from civilization? If so, I'd just take a few band aids, leukotape, ibuprofen, and benadryl. If you're going to be farther out, I'd say the list looks pretty good to me.

Full disclosure: I have no medical training and this is what I typically carry on my trips. I've never needed anything more than some leukotape and ibuprofen.

ptmn

FNG
Think back to your 68 Whisky days for the items in your M3 or M5 bag that were lightweight, multi-use, and commonly used during FTX.

Definitely a small piece of moleskin, since someone in a group always has a brainfart and wears a set of boots that aren't broken in, a nasty bunch of blisters will slow down their hike and could get infected in the field.

A standard issue "Drive on rag" aka Triangular Muslin Cravat bandage gets used a lot. Trips and falls occur commonly, so you may need it to make an arm sling with it. It is still a bandage should you need to pack a deep wound. Heat casualties are common, so a wet Drive on rag over the head helps. And the list of uses goes on and on for that small, light and simple piece of equipment.

By SOP, all my 18D's kept a small headlamp in their aid bag, I am assuming 68W's did the same. Pretty hard to remove a splinter (or treat a gunshot wound for that matter) at night without a headlamp. Your a civ now, so no need for a red light, just a plain white light is fine.

A couple Benadryl tablets is a must, never know if someone is going to be affected heavily by an allergic reaction or a scorpion sting.

Don't go overboard, just think back to your training and experience and bring what you think you will need.

OutHeavy

FNG
I'm also in favor of every person carrying a minimal amount of first aid equipment so each can self solve their minor to moderate first aid needs. With that said you have coban, med tape and compressed gauze so ditch the ace bandage. You can also ditch the med tape if you carry duct or electrical tape. Ditch the medical waste bag for a backpack trip. You're already packing trash out by other means. Ditch the irrigation syringe. In addition to the moleskin that's been mentioned I'd pack a couple bandaids that are cut for knuckles and the large 3"x2" ones as well. Quick clot is another recommendation if you're not going ultralight.

Tbuckus

WKR
Tourniquet- yes you can use clothing or belts as a makeshift one, but they are cheap and much easier to use.
Ditch the sharpie. If you are thinking of marking tourniquet times or pedal pulses, someone will have a phone and can set a timer.
Leuko/K tape - start with that and then look at your kit. You will see that it will probably replace most of your tapes/wrap needs.
I’m trying to remember if k tape is more flexible than Leuko. Leuko is better for blisters.
Compression gauze is great. Can use to pack wound. Eliminates quick clot, but that wouldn’t be a bad option.
Needle- 18-20ga. Great for digging out splinters or other puncture items. Not mandatory but it’s a comfort thing. Should be able to get one with a syringe at your local feed store. Plus they are cheap. Also get your coban(vet wrap) from there. Same stuff but cheaper.
When you say antiseptic wipes, are you bringing providone/iodine? If so, good. Prefer those over alcohol preps.

Tbuckus

WKR
As a paramedic, I’ve only used a sharpie on calls when a ball point wouldn’t write.
Marking pedal pulses were the most common, and tourniquet time when we used to never loosen them.
But we always give a report to whomever we hand them off to. And if they forget what you said, they would call us later if it was imminent info.
You said you were trying to lighten your kit, which is why I suggested ditching the writing utensil and just make notes on your phone and it can be recited off at the handoff.
My experience with sharpies and hunting/camping trips usually ended in inappropriate drawings on passed out people😳🤷‍♂️😂

Tbuckus

WKR
Forgot to state that I don’t have military experience. Sharpies May be the norm