Lightweight hat of choice?

CA_Gopher

FNG
Anyone have any tech or dri-fit hats they prefer to wear when hiking or hunting early season?

I wear a neon green tech cap when running (super light and wicks sweat) and want to find something similar for early season mule deer hunts. Seems the only option in camo is the First Lite 5 panel. Even a natural color (olive, tan, etc.,) would work. Does anyone have other hat options they run? It’s hard to find muted colors or camo options with running or cycling brands.

Taudisio

WKR
I have an UA camo hat that is super lightweight. It’s in duck camo. Typically I don’t stress about the weight of my mesh backs. But I also don’t hike ultralight. I suppose if you want to cut weight that bad, shave your whole body. Depending on your nationality, could be a few ounces!

OP
C

CA_Gopher

FNG
:ROFLMAO: I think I’m good on the shaving. Just mainly focused on the comfort and sweat-wicking that dri-fit hats provide. Figured this forum would be the most related since running hats are very light.

Thanks for the suggestion Sargent! I’ll take a look…

h2so4

WKR
The icon hat from kuiu. I’m annoyed that I like it so much. I’ve replaced all my kuiu (and other branded) gear with us made stuff. This is the only item I can’t seem to find an alternative to. It fits great, is super comfortable and is so light.

I have a crap ton of ball hats. Even orher kuiu ones. The icon has been the best.

croben

Lil-Rokslider
The icon hat from kuiu. I’m annoyed that I like it so much. I’ve replaced all my kuiu (and other branded) gear with us made stuff. This is the only item I can’t seem to find an alternative to. It fits great, is super comfortable and is so light.

I have a crap ton of ball hats. Even orher kuiu ones. The icon has been the best.

I’ve seen a few pictures of these online, but they’re very limited. Would you mind posting a few? I have a big head and look weird wearing a typical “dad hat”. Not sure how these would fit based on the pictures I’ve seen.

Gulch Gear makes a lightweight warm weather cap:

h2so4

WKR
@croben here ya go.
It dosnt ride low, to close to your ear. Which I really prefer.

Attachments

• BB6DF34C-9228-4A58-B798-680A75D08EF7.jpeg
    BB6DF34C-9228-4A58-B798-680A75D08EF7.jpeg
    150.1 KB · Views: 111
  • 4B3D9880-B046-471B-863F-6A653A3FFD9A.jpeg
    4B3D9880-B046-471B-863F-6A653A3FFD9A.jpeg
    101.1 KB · Views: 110

htlt_surfboards

Lil-Rokslider
I have a sitka ascent hat that I really like. Eurooptic has them on sale right now for $9!

I second this hat. Closest thing I could find to my running hat. Breaths well and drys fast. I also have the first lite 5 panel hat. I wear that one later season. It definitely does not breath as well as the sitka one.

meta_gabbro

Lil-Rokslider
I'm a fan of Outdoor Research Swift caps. Nice and light, the mesh sides breathe well, top panels are UV protective and give pretty decent rain protection before they wet out, underside of the brim is dark to prevent glare, huge range of adjustability so you can wear a beanie under it. It's the best blaze cap I've found being made with technical fabrics, though they don't have any camo patterns (but their "Loden" color is a dark ODG in person). Only thing that would make it better would be if it came with a crushable foam brim IMO.

deltadukman

Lil-Rokslider
I love my Kuiu Icon hat, when it fits. I have two of them and they shrink up really bad. Once they get damp again they'll stretch back out but if you let them sit a while, especially in the sun, it feels like I'm wearing a yamika.

pirogue

WKR
Your’re asking for a hat, and most responses for a cap. Maybe the Kuiu Boonie is what you are looking for. Love mine, and it is very light.

SwiftShot

WKR

I have that one. It is lightweight.

OP
C

CA_Gopher

FNG
Thanks for the great suggestions everyone! I decided on the Sitka ascent cap and it fits the bill perfectly. I might pick up one of the other suggested options in other patterns.

Sndmm11, did you find that the blaze orange color for that hat you linked was actually blaze orange? I always worry I’ll end up with a orange-red color or something more subdued when ordering non-hunting brand oranges.

Used to run the Sitka ascent ball cap until I bought the Sitka sun hat boonie hat. Now the ball cap never leaves the Jeep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk