Lightweight hiking/trail running shoes or boots

I realize there are lots of threads asking these lines, but it's hard to compile all the information. Also some threads are older than others so I'm not sure how up to date they might be (for example, some threads people love Cabelas Meindl boots, but those don't exist anymore). So, I'm looking for some lightweight, warm weather boots or possibly trail runners that I will initially be using for simple day trips with a fairly light pack. But I'd like some flexibility for use with heavier packs as well. Also I would prefer waterproofing. I've been looking at Crispi, Salomon (Quest or X Ultras), Scarpas, the current Meindls, Lowas, Hokas, and a few others. I realize that fit is going to be a personal feel thing, but unfortunately I live in Michigan and don't have many places to try on and compare footwear like this, so I'd prefer to get an idea of what people recommend as being high quality, and order a few to try from that list.

BBob

WKR
Sounds like you are looking for something a bit more durable but I'll give my take on an ultralight. For ultra light I use Hoka One One Speedgoat. I use them all the time to scout, hunt, trail run, road run, whatever. They are very light so I have no illusion they will last forever and in the desert the waterproofing is probably already gone on mine from punctures. Super comfy with the huge cushion sole. My knees love them on road runs.

The Salomon speddcross series has worked well for me over the past few years. I can get a few hundred miles on them before they start to show real signs of wear.

I recently picked up a pair of Scarpa light hikers and they are really narrow. At first I wasnt sure if they were going to work, but after time and roughly 50-60 miles they are starting to break in. Definitely more durable than the speedcrosses I usually wear. I dont run so they will most likely replace the speedcrosses.

OP
safarihunter
Sounds like you are looking for something a bit more durable but I'll give my take on an ultralight. For ultra light I use Hoka One One Speedgoat. I use them all the time to scout, hunt, trail run, road run, whatever. They are very light so I have no illusion they will last forever and in the desert the waterproofing is probably already gone on mine from punctures. Super comfy with the huge cushion sole. My knees love them on road runs.
Thanks for the response. Everything I've read about Hoka's is that they are some of the most comfortable due to their cushioning. I may have to look into a pair for road running even if I don't get a more trail oriented type for hiking.

OP
safarihunter
I've hike and backpack using INOV-8. Great trail runners with phenomenal traction. In snake territory, I use full-leather boots. Can't give high enough recommendation of INOV-8:

https://www.inov-8.com/us/mens-hiking-footwear
How is the fit on INOV-8? I thought I had generally read that they tend to be tighter, but I've read so much in the last few days that it's hard to keep it all straight.

OP
safarihunter
The Salomon speddcross series has worked well for me over the past few years. I can get a few hundred miles on them before they start to show real signs of wear.

I recently picked up a pair of Scarpa light hikers and they are really narrow. At first I wasnt sure if they were going to work, but after time and roughly 50-60 miles they are starting to break in. Definitely more durable than the speedcrosses I usually wear. I dont run so they will most likely replace the speedcrosses.
Those are probably the two brands I've been looking at the most. It seems like a lot of people say Scarpas are a little bit better quality, but they also seem to charge for that higher quality relative to Salomons

OP
safarihunter
Sounds like I should spend more time looking into Inov-8. Anyone have recommendations for a particular shoe/boot?

*zap*

WKR
For a lightweight hiking shoe I wear Merrill Trail Glove 4 if its wet I have a pair 1/2 size bigger and I add sealskin socks over my normal socks. Those 4's have decent padding for a minimalist shoe. Just finished a short road ruck @ 0° with those and the seal skins, my feet were never cold.

Rokwiia

WKR
Sounds like I should spend more time looking into Inov-8. Anyone have recommendations for a particular shoe/boot?
I'd suggest looking at:

Roclite G350 low top
Roclite G315 GTX low top
Roclite G345 GTX higher top
Roclite Pro G400 GTX higher top

The first two are a low trail runner while the next two are higher. It depends on which you prefer. I've had about a dozen different models and the G315 GTX is my favorite and what I wear when not in snake territory.

https://www.inov-8.com/us/men?activity=900

MountainZ

FNG
I don't see your foot width and shape stated. That's the biggest factor determining footwear fit.

You're not going to find one "do it all" boot/shoe. For easy days on a trail with a light pack, a lightweight shoe or low boot is great. Once you get off trail into rough terrain, and/or are carrying a heavy pack, and/or are traveling through sharp brush, snow drifts, and water crossings, a tall stiff-shank boot will be much better suited to the task.

Without knowing your foot width and shape, any answer is just a reflection of what works for that person's foot, and might fit you poorly.

OP
safarihunter
I don't see your foot width and shape stated. That's the biggest factor determining footwear fit.

You're not going to find one "do it all" boot/shoe. For easy days on a trail with a light pack, a lightweight shoe or low boot is great. Once you get off trail into rough terrain, and/or are carrying a heavy pack, and/or are traveling through sharp brush, snow drifts, and water crossings, a tall stiff-shank boot will be much better suited to the task.

Without knowing your foot width and shape, any answer is just a reflection of what works for that person's foot, and might fit you poorly.
Thanks for the feedback. I do realize that how a specific shoe fits me will be the most important factor (and I acknowledged that in the OP). For width, I do generally fit into normal width shoes. As for shape, I've never had my feet measured and I've never gone this in depth into purchasing shoes or boots before, so I don't know how to describe the shape of my feet.

I also recognize that a "do everything" boot doesn't exist. What I'm looking for is lightweight, primarily on-trail use, but I'd like just a little but of flexibility to stretch into slightly more difficult terrain. Not looking for any true mountaineering capabilities though.

Ultimately I'd like recommendations on what people have found to be higher quality that fits the general description given. From there I'll figure out the best route to try a few and determine which fits best on my feet at that point.

Last edited:

sargent

WKR
Take a look at the Crispi Lapponias. They weigh 1 pound per boot, are totally waterproof, and have flexible soles similar to a trail runner. I've had a pair for about a year-and-a-half and they have held up well through lots of use.