Lightweight muzzle brake

CO2130

WKR
I’m building a 7 rm off of a tikka action currently. The last piece I need to order is the brake. I’m stuck on which brake to go with. I would like something that is no more than 4 oz (preferably less), pretty effective (it’s just a 7 rm so the recoil and jump isn’t as bad as some others), preferably self timing or easy to time, 5/8-24, and in the $100-$150 range if possible. I’ve mainly been thinking a simple radial brake like the vias or the apa little bastard. Any other recommendations are really appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had my last one made for my .300wsm, by a gentleman in Idaho. $37 TYD, 416 (if I remember correctly), stainless steel, easily self timed, and mine weighs exactly 2 oz.
526068af7b892b486ad740218697a3ee.jpg

8fb4cb2c5df9c6bfc3a134d910ca30db.jpg

Broz

WKR
Let me ask you this, if I may? You want to make it very easy to love that new rifle? Then put a Terminator T3. or the TT self timing unit on it.
No matter what you hear, all brakes are NOT created equal. The few dollars extra will make you smile every time you shoot it. Trust me on this, we test brakes on plenty of rifles.

And I would not use Vais if it were free.

Jeff

drtony

WKR
+1 for Nathan at Muzzlebrakes and more!! He is dabbling with Titanium now I believe. I have a 4 port beast on my 300 WBY.

KU_Geo

WKR
I had my last one made for my .300wsm, by a gentleman in Idaho. $37 TYD, 416 (if I remember correctly), stainless steel, easily self timed, and mine weighs exactly 2 oz.
526068af7b892b486ad740218697a3ee.jpg

8fb4cb2c5df9c6bfc3a134d910ca30db.jpg

AK, how did you self time that brake? Any machining required or do you just measure your threading length before ordering?

AK, how did you self time that brake? Any machining required or do you just measure your threading length before ordering?
When I first got it, it was only a little off (about 1/8 of a turn or so). I just lightly sanded the threaded end with very fine sandpaper, a little at a time, testing the fit frequently until it was perfect. It took all of about 10-15 minutes. Ross just asked me to mic a few measurements on my barrel and he went from there. My barrel was already threaded (I had a brake on it prior to this brake, but I never really liked it). This is on a .300wsm that I had the barrel cut down some, and added the brake so my son could comfortably shoot it . I don't know the % of the reduction in recoil, but it is considerable with Ross' brake, and the 5.6 lb rifle will consistently produce .5" 3 shot groups.

tdhanses

WKR
Let me ask you this, if I may? You want to make it very easy to love that new rifle? Then put a Terminator T3. or the TT self timing unit on it.
No matter what you hear, all brakes are NOT created equal. The few dollars extra will make you smile every time you shoot it. Trust me on this, we test brakes on plenty of rifles.

And I would not use Vais if it were free.

Jeff

Dang at 12oz what is he putting inside of it?

Broz

WKR
That’s one way to help control muzzle flip!

Call them, I dont believe the weights to be accurate that they have posted. They need to get this updated. My T3's and My T 5 are very light and lighter than a stainless of the same size.

Broz

WKR
That’s one way to help control muzzle flip!

Call them, I dont believe the weights to be accurate that they have posted. They need to get this updated. My T3's and My T 5 are very light and lighter than a stainless of the same size.

Broz

WKR
Here is an accurate weight ( 3.5 oz.) on my 5 port T3 off the 300 HCM. The self timing Terminator, like all self timing brakes, will weigh a bit more.20190609_141028.jpg

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I’m building a 7 rm off of a tikka action currently. The last piece I need to order is the brake. I’m stuck on which brake to go with. I would like something that is no more than 4 oz (preferably less), pretty effective (it’s just a 7 rm so the recoil and jump isn’t as bad as some others), preferably self timing or easy to time, 5/8-24, and in the $100-$150 range if possible. I’ve mainly been thinking a simple radial brake like the vias or the apa little bastard. Any other recommendations are really appreciated!

I recommend the APA Micro Bastard for your build. I would skip the self-timing brakes if you want to save weight.

Here is a video of the Micro Bastard on a Tikka 7mm mag. (no I don't recommend using a plastic table as a shooting bench)

OP
CO2130

CO2130

WKR
I recommend the APA Micro Bastard for your build. I would skip the self-timing brakes if you want to save weight.

Here is a video of the Micro Bastard on a Tikka 7mm mag. (no I don't recommend using a plastic table as a shooting bench)

That’s one I was highly considering, but from what I could find it’s not offered in 5/8-24. I will double check though.

Totoro

WKR
Hawkins Titanium 4 port is nice.

I am currently using Insite Heathen on RPR and another on an upcoming build.