Lightweight Scope for Hunting Rifle (out to 600 yards)

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Form what gun is that ?

6.5CM Fieldcraft 3-9x SWFA.

How does the NF SHV 3-10 compare to these?

The SHV is a good scope. It’s not under $800, and the reticles aren’t as good as the MQ.

I consider the reticle on both barely suitable if you also hunt dark timber.

People say this, but I don’t know how they are determining it.

Leupold standard duplex at 3x-

SWFA SS Mil Quad at 3x-

You can’t see the center cross hair on either one in the lowest light, which means you have to use the outer bolder lines to bracket the animal, and the SWFA is significantly bolder. We shoot at night with the MQ and it works as well as anything without illumination.

JimGa

Lil-Rokslider
To me, the reticles in the SWFA 3-9 and 3-15 are better/ easier to see, than the reticles in the 3-12 LRHS. Form's picture shows how the bold outer posts of the SWFA make it work in low light

Firestone

WKR
I have the exact same gun and put a vx3i 4.5x14 on it. I really like it, i got the windplex reticle with the turret. It was a pleasure to pack around looking for mule deer.

kad11

WKR
There are a couple demo SWFA 3-9x42 scopes available for $450 right now. I just grabbed one... you guys are right and the size and weight savings aren't worth it on such a vital piece of equipment.

OP
R

rob86jeep

WKR
Thanks for all the replies so far. I know there's already a ton of scope threads but this helps as well. I really need to make up my mind on turrets vs holdover reticle. Every time I think about it I end up changing my mind. I have both styles on different rifles, I just haven't had much range/hunting time behind them to get a better idea of which one I prefer yet.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I really need to make up my mind on turrets vs holdover reticle. Every time I think about it I end up changing my mind. I have both styles on different rifles, I just haven't had much range/hunting time behind them to get a better idea of which one I prefer yet.

Here is an old thread with some pictures and semi decent discussion if you can wade through some bs.

It needs an update, but it should help.

As for what you prefer, well I do this a lot with newer medium/long range shooters. If you go any other way than FFP Mil/mil with solid turrets, you’re not only leaving capability on the table, you’re making it harder for yourself. FFP Mil/mil is the easiest system to learn and use.

OP
R

rob86jeep

WKR
A local store has the Vortex 2x10 HD LH discounted to $399 (probably since vortex discontinued that model) so I'm really thinking about picking it up for now just for the price. That way at least it will give me some time behind the gun and more time to decide if repeatable turrets are something that will be worth the weight penalty on for my uses.

OP
R

rob86jeep

WKR
Between the SWFA 3x9/Razor HD LH 2x10 for $400-ish and the Swaro Z3/Nightforce SHV for about twice that much, what would be the best?

kad11

WKR
Between the SWFA 3x9/Razor HD LH 2x10 for $400-ish and the Swaro Z3/Nightforce SHV for about twice that much, what would be the best?

I would listen to Form's advice and go SWFA over Vortex - his job (from what I understand) is literally to shoot and evaluate firearms/ optics. I have no experience with the higher end stuff...

OP
R

rob86jeep

WKR
There are a couple demo SWFA 3-9x42 scopes available for $450 right now. I just grabbed one... you guys are right and the size and weight savings aren't worth it on such a vital piece of equipment.
What site has the demo scopes for sale?

None of those. You can hold at 600 but it is much more consistent and predictable to dial.

First and formost zero retention, then correct and consistent adjustments. None of those that you listed will do either one.

These will, and they are the only suitable for general hunting under $800 that will.

SWFA SS 3-9x42mm
SWFA SS 6x42mm MQ
Bushnell LRTS 3-12x44mm.
Pretty sure my Razor HD LH does both

Ok. I’ve seen around 11-12 of them. All of them developed issues before a thousand rounds.
You know 11-12 people personally that have 1) ran 1000 rounds through a hunting scope that's not set up for competition and 2) failed?
If you're not a gunsmith, the only logical response would be... "cough, cough, bullshit, cough, cough."
If you are in fact a gunsmith, I might be inclined to believe you.
However, as a gunsmith, rather than tinkering with them, which would void the warranty, you'd simply advise that they send it in. Wham, Bam, problem solved.

We get it. You like SWFA, but that doesn't make the Razor HD LH any less of a phenomenal value at the prices you can get them for over the last year.
Paying MSRP for a Razor HD LH would certainly be foolish, but don't turn a guy off to a good scope calling it junk when it sounds as though it would do quite nicely for him at his desired price-point.
It's possible to plug your favorite brand without disparaging others.
Just saying...
(side note: I am in no way shape or form a Vortex fan boi. I've owned numerous Vortex optics and accessories over the years, but the Razor is the only one that will remain, come hunting season, as I've moved on to better stuff at similar price points. But, the Razor, although far from perfect, is still a dandy little scope for the dollar)

At any rate, clearly you shoot a lot, so I doubt I have to wish you good luck for the upcoming season, but I'll do it anyway.
Best of luck this hunting season and that all your pills hit their mark, with your quarry hitting the dirt promptly thereafter.

OP
R

rob86jeep

WKR
After much deliberation, I ended up ordering an SWFA 3x9. I figure it will get me used to dialing turrets in my new gun and for the price, I could sell it for not much of a loss if I end up not liking it.

I almost picked up the Razor 2x10 for $399, but after searching I found a lot of them for sale within the past year for 420-480 and they didn't seem to be selling.

I also thought about pulling my older Viper 4x16 off my long range .308 but then I wouldn't be able to take that gun to the range alongside my new 6.5.

I figure when/if I do want to upgrade from the SWFA, I can always keep it around to throw on random rifles I buy until I decide what I want to run on them full time.

Thanks for all the insight everybody!

OP
R

rob86jeep

WKR
With that, do you know what size rings i'll need for the SWFA 3x9 on a Tikka T3x? I know it will be either low or extra low, just not sure which one. I want the glass as close to the barrel as possible with still being able to fit some flip up scope caps.

JGRaider

WKR
These Sportsmatch rings are superb, and mount directly to the Tikka dovetail.
Sportsmatch_zpsmeydwsft.jpg

LRHS%20Dope2_zpssqigi7za.jpg

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
You know 11-12 people personally that have 1) ran 1000 rounds through a hunting scope that's not set up for competition and 2) failed?
If you're not a gunsmith, the only logical response would be... "cough, cough, bullshit, cough, cough."
If you are in fact a gunsmith, I might be inclined to believe you.

We get it. You like SWFA, but that doesn't make the Razor HD LH any less of a phenomenal value at the prices you can get them for over the last year.
Paying MSRP for a Razor HD LH would certainly be foolish, but don't turn a guy off to a good scope calling it junk when it sounds as though it would do quite nicely for him at his desired price-point.
It's possible to plug your favorite brand without disparaging others.
Just saying...

I’m not a gunsmith, and you may believe anything you want. I’m an adult- I do not have “favorites”. Scopes are nothing but an aiming instrument to me, I could care less who’s name is on them. RDT&E is a part of what I do. I have seen more than 350,000 rounds shot, am on barrel number 8 for rifles, and have evaluated more than 40 scopes since January 1 of this year.

The Razor LH will probably not produce massive issues if a person shoot a relatively limited amount of rounds a year, shoots inside of 300-400 yards on big game, doesn’t dial, and doesn’t expect his scope to remain zeroed if dropped. However, if someone is going to shoot at long range, dial it, and demand that the optic stays zeroed if dropped.... wouldn’t be my first choice.

Appreciate the well wishes, this year it looks like I’ll get to do more western hunting than usual.

Let’s hear the testing specifications and failure mechanisms.

In general it will be a 8-10 scopes-

1). Mount the scope in an immovable base and check reticle subtention, adjustment value, and tracking on a tracking board placed at exactly 300.0 feet. It will be checked every .25 MOA/.1 mil for a minimum of 10 mils for elevation- usually through it’s entire adjustment range, and 5 mils for windage. Looking for overall value, consistentcy, and any dead spots/flats spots/hitches/etc in the tracking.

2). While still on the tracking board return to zero is checked, then the turrets are spun for a few thousand mils/MOA up and down each time checking RTZ when returning to the “zero” mark. Every few hundred adjustments tracking is checked again.

3). Mount to a test rifles and zero. Again shoot to confirm adjustment accuracy every mil or 4 MOA, return to zero, and consistency.

4). Zero retention/impact resistance. Zeroed at 100 yards on a 10lb rifle. Rifle is dropped from 12” on grass. First on left side of scope, then right, then top. Checked for POI shift after each drop. If it holds zero through one drop, then three drops on each side from 12”. If it holds zero, then again from 36”.

5). A couple will randomly be picked as abuse scopes. They will purposely pushed until failure. The rest go on rifles and get used normally with zero checks at least every 200 rounds. The abuse scopes will be thrown, beat on, dragged, used as loaner scopes, I.E.-used and shot as much as possible.

When a scope fails- loses zero, fails in adjustments, etc it’s logged and removed from use.

None of the Razor LH’s made it past the tracking board without issue. However being that they are a pure hunting scope, they were shot, but all had zero shifts when dropped. About 20% produced larger group sizes than baseline on the test rifles.

Bases, rings, and rifles are all baselined, and identical. If a scope loses zero from impact, it will be logged, and rezeroed, and tested again. If it loses zero again, a baseline scope (generally NF NXS Milspec) will be mounted, zeroed and drop tested. If it holds zero (it always does) then the test scope is remounted, rezeroed and tested again.