Lightweight tent that doesn't use trekking poles

4th_point

WKR
I ended up being convinced to try out trekking pole tents, so I grabbed the Durston X-Mid 2 in solid.

Cons: On days we left a camp, I sometimes missed having a trekking pole for steep climbs. I may bring 1 or 2 of the Durston poles and just take the weight penalty if I know we'll be keeping a camp.

The solid version had more condensation than I would have liked for a double wall. I may buy the mesh inner to have both and test out.

My biggest issue was the size of the footprint for this tent. I got the 2 person to be able to camp with my son, but I had a hard time finding areas to pitch on 2 of the spots we chose for camp. I'll likely be looking for a 1 person tent to have as an option for future hunts that I know will be in the timber (open to suggestions).

Hey thanks for posting your follow up to your OP. I find it super helpful when people do that!

If I don't have a trekking pole, I can generally find a stick. Sometimes I will cut one. I do prefer proper poles packing in and out though. But while hunting, I like chucking sticks when done!

I have a Notch Li and really like it, but it is very small inside. Might be worth looking into as it is very light and compact.

There's some good info on condensation prevention from BPL and Henry Shire.

TT and Durston both hinted at new models of their trekking pole designs using regular tent poles. Durston seemed to have a bit of a hissy fit about TT posting first though. Not sure what the drama was about but makes me interested in whatever both companies release and how they handle wind and light snow.

Last edited:
TT and Durston both hinted at new models of their trekking pole designs using regular tent poles. Durston seemed to have a bit of a hissy fit about TT posting first though. Not sure what the drama was about but makes me interested in whatever both companies release and how they handle wind and light snow.

durston has had Stand alone poles for a while. I like mine for base camping so I can leave my tent up while out hunting.

Yup, I agree. It would be perfect as I am also a firm believer of the cross pole design.

Randy

The samaya is the closest I’ve seen, except it’s not a side entry, has the attachable vestibule.

2 lb 3 oz without the vestibule

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4th_point

WKR
Was there any mention of when the durston was going to be available?

Q3/Q4 of 2024, I believe.

Seemed like just a knee jerk reaction, without much information, as TT posted theirs of couple days prior.

TT posted that there could be single wall and double wall versions, and maybe a true 4 season. Similar weight as the Stratospire, which would be awesome if true.

Should be interesting to see Durston vs Shires continue. Good for the consumer!

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Q3/Q4 of 2024, I believe.

Seemed like just a knee jerk reaction, without much information, as TT posted theirs of couple days prior.

TT posted that there could be single wall and double wall versions, and maybe a true 4 season. Similar weight as the Stratospire, which would be awesome if true.

Should be interesting to see Durston vs Shires continue. Good for the consumer!
This is definitely good for the consumer!

These two, in my opinion are some of the most innovative and well thought out tent makers in the business.
When the owners respond to input and criticism from the people like these two do, we benefit greatly.

I'm very interested to see both end products. Looks like they're going to check almost all the boxes for a lot of people.

Rthur

Lil-Rokslider
Zpacks Triplex 21.6 oz
48" carbon poles 5.2 oz
MSR carbon core stakes @ .2 oz each
We use 8 for 1.6 oz
28.4 oz

Partner is 6'6"
Plenty of room.

R

Kayl

FNG
Per TT, late spring/early summer for that freestanding version. Supposedly more info coming in a few months, per the owner.

Don't know about the Durston. If anyone knows, please share.
Second half of this year for the freestanding x-mid iirc.

Screenshot_20240111-101314.pngScreenshot_20240111-101332.png