Lightweight tent that doesn't use trekking poles

Shraggs

WKR
Wow that tent is amazing! But no…

I have the Lucas Happi a mid that uses either one or two trekking poles. It’s pricey but a great shelter. One easy two doable.

If I recall it’s 11 oz or so, so an extra single carbon instead of trekking poles still is very light. Small mids are easy to pitch.

I am torn between the Nemo hornet and the Tiger wall myself. im wondering how they do in below freezing conditions with all that mesh.
I own the Tiger Wall UL2. I've used it in the snow and it did fine. It's served me well over the past 3 years, but I will likely upgrade to something else soon.

The semi freestanding design isn't my favorite. It requires in the neighborhood of 8-10 stakes. It's relatively lightweight, but the more I use it, the more I feel like it is a compromise that isn't particularly great at anything and would rather carry a little more weight for a free standing tent, or go lighter and go with a trekking pole style tent.

And, I can't compare it to the Nemo, but it doesn't do great in winds. I was out a few weeks ago and had a decent thunderstorm roll through that ripped all the guy lines out and left me riding out the storm holding on to the fly from the inside to keep it from flying away.

Cody111

FNG
I have exactly been wondering about the semi freestanding tent. You make some good comments about it not necessarily being great at anything. Thanks

Jakerex

WKR
Big Agnes fly creek tents can be found cheap, and they’re light. That’s what I’ve used the last few years with no issues.

If I were to do it over again, I’d go with a tent with a side entrance as opposed to the front entrance style. Side entrance is going to be a slightly heavier tent, but it does make life easier in many ways. Maybe the big Agnes copper spur. Oh, get a two person tent, not a one person tent, so you can bring things inside and not be cramped

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dapesche

WKR
Here is the durston xmid 2p solid in goat country with the two carbon poles you can buy from durston.

Light, packable and handled the wind really well that night.

My friend had the luxe tipi.
780b1dc81b73de98207fe0033395d1c9.jpg
96d11b883a36790864337cd32c25559c.jpg

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
I wish I could afford that tent! They also make some cool packs but everything is so expensive.
They're running a really big sale on some of their tents and packs right now on their page. Up to 40% off of some of them. Might be your chance lol

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

They're running a really big sale on some of their tents and packs right now on their page. Up to 40% off of some of them. Might be your chance lol

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk
Thank you very much for the info! I will check it out as I have looked at their tents before but could not justify the cost.

Thank you very much for the info! I will check it out as I have looked at their tents before but could not justify the cost.

The thing that I like about it, is you can get a vestibule for the door. It is extra, but I feel like it’s almost necessary otherwise you’ll get rain and whatever inside if there’s any weather. That’s one reason why I didn’t buy the SG solus, it has the same type of entrance.

There’s a guy on YT who reviews the samaya and the vestibule in multiple videos if anyone is looking for more info. Samaya also rents the tents for use , might have to give it a test.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

coyote_out

Lil-Rokslider
IMG_0681.jpegHad to go way back to find my last picture of my tt moment. It served me well, but I eventually opted for a two man free standing tent for reasons previously mentioned. I often hike With my dog now too. Primarily now I run a SO cim, or a DST and bivy. But I would buy the tt again given the criteria of the post.Just double check sizing.
Also, I’d be interested i what the original author thought of their decision, and pro’s cons.

OP
Deli

Deli

Lil-Rokslider
So when I originally posted this thread, I thought I was only going to get a few responses. Amazed it's still going and tons of great information and feedback.

I ended up being convinced to try out trekking pole tents, so I grabbed the Durston X-Mid 2 in solid. Overall I was really happy with it as it was easy to set up with plenty of room and held up great in the 3 storms we got. We ended up moving camp 3 times in the span of a week, and take down, packing, and setup was all very easy with minimal weight in the pack. 2 of my buddies used KUIU Mountain Star 2 man and really liked it. Setup seemed to be about the same amount of time, but packing up seemed to take longer and those definitely took up more room in their packs compared to mine.

Pros: Lightweight, easy to pack and set up. Love how the inner stays attached to the rain fly so my stuff doesn't get wet when setting up in drizzle. Tons of room. Held up to wind and heavy rain without issue.

Cons: On days we left a camp, I sometimes missed having a trekking pole for steep climbs. I may bring 1 or 2 of the Durston poles and just take the weight penalty if I know we'll be keeping a camp. The solid version had more condensation than I would have liked for a double wall. I may buy the mesh inner to have both and test out. My biggest issue was the size of the footprint for this tent. I got the 2 person to be able to camp with my son, but I had a hard time finding areas to pitch on 2 of the spots we chose for camp. I'll likely be looking for a 1 person tent to have as an option for future hunts that I know will be in the timber (open to suggestions). I do have a DST tarp, so I may just need to push myself to buy a bivy and give it a try, but I sleep horrible in the backcountry, so going floorless gives me anxiety.

Idaboy

WKR
6 moons designs is pretty light...I made my own carbon poles very cheaply, so can use trek poles or the carbon poles

OP
Deli

Deli

Lil-Rokslider
6 moons designs is pretty light...I made my own carbon poles very cheaply, so can use trek poles or the carbon poles
The Lunar Solo and Argali Owyhee are on my short list.

NilsBackstrom

Lil-Rokslider
So when I originally posted this thread, I thought I was only going to get a few responses. Amazed it's still going and tons of great information and feedback.

I ended up being convinced to try out trekking pole tents, so I grabbed the Durston X-Mid 2 in solid. Overall I was really happy with it as it was easy to set up with plenty of room and held up great in the 3 storms we got. We ended up moving camp 3 times in the span of a week, and take down, packing, and setup was all very easy with minimal weight in the pack. 2 of my buddies used KUIU Mountain Star 2 man and really liked it. Setup seemed to be about the same amount of time, but packing up seemed to take longer and those definitely took up more room in their packs compared to mine.

Pros: Lightweight, easy to pack and set up. Love how the inner stays attached to the rain fly so my stuff doesn't get wet when setting up in drizzle. Tons of room. Held up to wind and heavy rain without issue.

Cons: On days we left a camp, I sometimes missed having a trekking pole for steep climbs. I may bring 1 or 2 of the Durston poles and just take the weight penalty if I know we'll be keeping a camp. The solid version had more condensation than I would have liked for a double wall. I may buy the mesh inner to have both and test out. My biggest issue was the size of the footprint for this tent. I got the 2 person to be able to camp with my son, but I had a hard time finding areas to pitch on 2 of the spots we chose for camp. I'll likely be looking for a 1 person tent to have as an option for future hunts that I know will be in the timber (open to suggestions). I do have a DST tarp, so I may just need to push myself to buy a bivy and give it a try, but I sleep horrible in the backcountry, so going floorless gives me anxiety.
I ended up skipping in the durston because of the big foot print and also the need for good solid ground to get the stakes in. Where I hunt you do not always find that.

I ended up getting the marmot tungsten UL 1p. I'm pretty happy with it so far. Pretty good combination in terms of price, size, footprint etc. Usually you can pick one up on sale.

coyote_out

Lil-Rokslider
I have a cimeron nest I was thinking about using under my DST during buggy seasons here in WA. Might be able to try that with a smaller nest?

gberb18

FNG
I have the big agnes tiger wall UL1. I am 5'9 160 skinny guy, I think that you would fit better in the 2 person version that you have listed in your original post. I really like my tent, simple, lightweight, fairly comfortable, also has a nice vestibule for getting things out of the weather. I have never used the 2 person version but am very satisfied with the single man version.

I have a kuiu mountain star 2p that I like but wish was a little longer and 2 msr hubba 1 p.
One has sold walls and aluminum poles and one is mesh body with aftermarket lighter carbon poles.
I had two xmids and while probably the best built tents I have used I just don’t like the trekking pole setup.

Dougwise

FNG
I have the Tiger Wall 2 Platinum. I mostly use it for hiking/camping on long trails. Excellent tent - very light and easy to set up alone. Im 6'1 and 190 or so and there is LOTS of room for me plus gear inside - plus you have two vestibules to store your dirty gear out of the main tent. My wife and I both sleep in this tent when we hike together. Its mostly free-standing, so you can pitch and move around - you will have to stake out the vestibules and the rain fly, especially if the weather gets bad.
If you wanted to look for a less expensive option, check out 6 moon designs - They have some great tents for a little less money.
Good luck on your hunt!

ben h

Lil-Rokslider
Was that Locus Gear? I was super close a few times buying one but covid hit and ended that. I haven’t looked back lately.

Edit: It’s still discontinued due to no fabric. Was a very cool tent.

Edit: Locus still offers one. Basically an I-Tent design at 33oz or so. Add the mesh for the door and it’s 35ish

View attachment 560545
This looks very similar to the Black Diamond Hilight. The hilight is a little over 4 lbs.....and $1200 cheaper. I have too much weight to take off myself before I need to start worrying about spending $1k/lb.