Lightweight tent

So torn between options on tents. Looking for a sub 2.5 lb tent that has space for my gear and me. Looking at Nemo hornet but if I could get lighter and better I'd go for just torn because there are alot of good options.

jdubrr

Lil-Rokslider
stone glacier SkyAir ULT? I haven't used one but I've been looking for an excuse to get one. It's a tarp shelpter but you can add a footprint, mesh insert, vestibule, or just go with the tarp

Paladin

Elk Masher Wannabe
I like my Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2, I think it comes in just at 2.5lbs maybe even a shade less. I've got other choices but it is my go to most of the time.

bsnedeker

WKR
I like my Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2, I think it comes in just at 2.5lbs maybe even a shade less. I've got other choices but it is my go to most of the time.
Im upgrading to that tent this year. Weighs a bit more than the hornet but has bigger vestibules from what I can tell. Good for when I've got the dog with me!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

A very nice tent for the wt., but definitely not made for strong winds. If there isn’t a possibility of experiencing heavy winds, than this is a very good option, otherwise not so much.
ea49ae45e028d908059fd989fd48721e.jpg

This picture was take prior to guy lines tearing loose from the rain fly. Unfortunately there’s not a whole lot you can do after that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Light weight and a palace for one?

Zpacks Duplex or Altiplex

I’ve been using the my Duplex shelter every season since 2013, and it is awesome.
Spacious, waterproof, UL, two side entrances and large vestibule areas....and you can use hiking poles to pitch it or Zpacks 4’ carbon poles(or two 4’ sticks).
I definitely have not babied my Duplex and it’s held up very well. Any little holes are easily patched with the tape Zpacks provides/sells.
The camo Cuban fiber blends well too.
Expensive, but fully worth the investment.

I’ve used BA FC UL2 and the platinum version many, many times....I hate it.
Condensation issues, single front entrance and barely enough room for one.

The hornet elite is an option. Also the big Agnus tiger wall, tiger wall platinum and if you are really froggy, tiger wall carbon.

sneaky

"DADDY"
The Hornet is a side entrance tent, the Fly Creek is a front entrance tent. I would also mirror other posters and recommend TarpTent. When you get in to sub 2.5lbs on tents you need to be careful where you pitch them. Unless they're DCF. That stuff just shrugs off wind. Seek Outside has some new options to consider as well.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Feare

FNG
I have a Nemo hornet elite, super light double side doors. Did a really good job of handling hard winds, easy to pitch, pricey but worth it in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dirtydan

Lil-Rokslider
Take a look at SeekOutside Silex. 38oz all in with the inner nest. It has two vestibules so plenty of room for gear.

bsnedeker

WKR
Oh jeez, my bad! The FC UL2 is the tent I have now...the Tiger Wall is the one I wanted to upgrade to that is similar to the hornet. I agree with the above, do NOT buy the FC, it is garbage in the wind and the front entrance is horrible!

It's interesting to hear two votes for the way those dyneema tents buck the wind. In all the reviews I've seen of that no one ever mentioned it...probably because they are all through-hikers and not hunters! I guess I just assumed since they were so light weight they were fragile. Ya'll might have me convinced to go that route instead...I'm always carrying sissy sticks with me anyway.

Voyageur

WKR
Another recommendation for Tarptents. Have used mine for 6 or 7 years now and the more I use it the more I appreciate its features and versatility. Everything is well thought out in their design. Great customer service, too.

TJ

WKR
I have both the Tiger Wall and a tarp Tent. Both are good tents.

I had a Fly Creek. What I really didn't like about it was the front entry. I doesn't have much of a vestibule either.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Partial but I'd say Seek Outside Silex Silex. Here is why ...we made it to be a do all light hunting tent when fast and light is important. You can use fly only, fly and inner linked. The inner is slightly generous as well. Dual vestibules give generous storage for RIfle / Bow / Gear. You can even run it with a small wood stove if desired.

Napperm4

WKR
Oh jeez, my bad! The FC UL2 is the tent I have now...the Tiger Wall is the one I wanted to upgrade to that is similar to the hornet. I agree with the above, do NOT buy the FC, it is garbage in the wind and the front entrance is horrible!

It's interesting to hear two votes for the way those dyneema tents buck the wind. In all the reviews I've seen of that no one ever mentioned it...probably because they are all through-hikers and not hunters! I guess I just assumed since they were so light weight they were fragile. Ya'll might have me convinced to go that route instead...I'm always carrying sissy sticks with me anyway.

DCF is amazing for wind. It’s original use was for boat sails. It’s made to catch as much wind as possible for racing. When pulled taught, it moves the wind easily over it

Don't do it! You'll only end up wanting to through all your sil shelters away. :)

Have you considered a tarp or other floorless shelter? You can get under 20 ounces.

I didn’t think I could do floorless until I did it, and I’m hooked. So much more room and so much less weight and space in my pack.