Lightweight tripod set-up for shooting

JDBAK

Lil-Rokslider
I'm totally ignorant on this...but any recommendations for a lightweight tripod and head for a mountain hunting that's still decent to shoot from?
I don't need the absolute best for PRS matches, but allow reasonable stability to make 500 yd shots, yet still relatively easy to carry?

How light can you go? A 5 lb tripod sounds pretty darn heavy.

What sort of budget should I be looking at?

Thanks,
James

I just picked up a promaster 522 from Cameraland that I’m hoping to use for this. Weighs 36 ounces with the ball head and is rated for up to 11 lbs.

carter33

WKR
Look at the anvil ball head from RRS, it is compatible with most tripods. I have it on a lighter weight gitzo tripod. I haven’t shot a ton yet off that setup because I also the RRS TFCT-24L tripod with the anvil head and that is extremely sturdy. I also actually love glassing with the anvil.

The anvil is 14 ounces the gitzo traveller tripod is 31.5 ounces so just shy of three pounds. I think that is about as light as you could go and still shoot reasonably well though you’re certainly sacrificing a bit compared with the 4-5 pound RRS setup. The anvil is worth the weight compared to other heads

meta_gabbro

Lil-Rokslider
This Aoka has been working for me for a while now. 1lb 2oz with the stock head, but I put a Slik pan head on in order to use the quick release plates to swap between optics and one of those V-shaped shooting rests; current weight with replacement head, two quick release plates, and the shooting rest is just shy of 1.5lbs. Has been sturdy enough to get my 308 onto my 8” gong at 400, I don’t see 500 being much more of an issue.

This Aoka has been working for me for a while now. 1lb 2oz with the stock head, but I put a Slik pan head on in order to use the quick release plates to swap between optics and one of those V-shaped shooting rests; current weight with replacement head, two quick release plates, and the shooting rest is just shy of 1.5lbs. Has been sturdy enough to get my 308 onto my 8” gong at 400, I don’t see 500 being much more of an issue.
Which V-shaped rest did you use?

Dennis

WKR
My current hunting set up is from PRECISION RIFLE SOLUTIONS, LLC. which for me seems to strike a balance between stability, weight and budget. They use Slik tripods with a ball heads in two sizes (tall and medium). I have both their tall and medium tripods, but find the tall most useful for shooting, glassing etc. from prone to standing. They also make shooting rest etc. for their system.

I have updated the Precision tripod with the addition of a Spartan Davros ball head which uses a magnetic pin system for rifles, optics, cameras etc.. I have switched all of my optics and rifles to the Spartan system and use their Javelin bipod which is carried on my belt. As for shooting 500 yards it seems to work well, but I find I must add a rear support at that distance. I carry a set of shooting sticks for quick sitting or kneeling shots and use them for a rear rest with the tripod. Tripod weight is 2.07 lbs. and costs are about $90 for tripod with ball head and about $80 for Davros head, plus adaptors which does get some what expensive. Good luck,

Attachments

• Tripod.jpg
    Tripod.jpg
    590.9 KB · Views: 338

meta_gabbro

Lil-Rokslider
Which V-shaped rest did you use?
Honestly, I can’t remember. I used to have one from Bog, but I lost it on a hunt and grabbed a replacement from some shop in NV. Need outweighed brand preference, and I dumped the packaging within 5 minutes lol

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Budget, the Inorrel 80 and 90 off Amazon.

Mid level, Feisol, Leofoto, Sunto.

Don't run a center column tripod, unless it is the Pig tripod.

For a ballhead, the weight rating is key to take out wobble and lock up solid. The higher rated Leofoto is the best budget. Get as high of a weight rating as you can.

The RRS Anvil 30 is worth every penny. I run it on a Feisol with an adapter for the Anvil 30.

Before that, I ran the Innorel 80 with a cheap Amazon ballhead. It is workable and the least expensive lightweight set up.

If you want as light as possible, Leofoto LS 224c is a backpacking/ shooting tripod, but you will have to glass sitting down. If I go on a back country trip, I will probably pick it up. A buddy who shoots professionally and back country in Idaho picked it up and uses it. He runs RRS tripods and ball heads for work.

The pic is of the Innorel and Leofoto set up I ran before I switched up. I set up a kid on the tripod last weekend and he shot this Coues at 730 yards seated.

20200325_161829.jpg20201212_101154.jpg20201212_102927.jpg

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
My current hunting set up is from PRECISION RIFLE SOLUTIONS, LLC. which for me seems to strike a balance between stability, weight and budget. They use Slik tripods with a ball heads in two sizes (tall and medium). I have both their tall and medium tripods, but find the tall most useful for shooting, glassing etc. from prone to standing. They also make shooting rest etc. for their system.

I have updated the Precision tripod with the addition of a Spartan Davros ball head which uses a magnetic pin system for rifles, optics, cameras etc.. I have switched all of my optics and rifles to the Spartan system and use their Javelin bipod which is carried on my belt. As for shooting 500 yards it seems to work well, but I find I must add a rear support at that distance. I carry a set of shooting sticks for quick sitting or kneeling shots and use them for a rear rest with the tripod. Tripod weight is 2.07 lbs. and costs are about $90 for tripod with ball head and about $80 for Davros head, plus adaptors which does get some what expensive. Good luck,

That is a solid solution for the rear rest. Its key for any shooting, especially tripod.

A stiffer tripod and solid ballhead allows shooters to make 500 yard shots more accurately without rear support. If you can shoot PRS off barricades, then a stiff tripod with a bag on top of a plate or head will be just like or better than a tank trap tip. Off a bag also allows more flexibility for moving, follow up shots on animals, etc.

But, as you buy stiffness and stability weight goes up. And, so does cost.

It is the trade off. Weight for stability.

I don't carry a bipod in the field anymore, and don't carry shooting sticks. So, I put more weight into my tripod.

Just looked up the ballhead, and this kit is what I would suggest as a solid solution and good price on a budget.

I have have not shot nearly enough from anywhere but my belly. How beneficial do you see an arca attachment being compared to having say a pint sized game changer on top of a tripod?

I don't have a tripod dedicated to shooting off of and none of my hunting rifles have arca adapters.. The only tripod shooting ive done has been with heavy ass PRS style rilfes and heavy ass tripods.

Last edited:

bradb

WKR
The direct mount is a huge stability improvement. I try to still use a rear support when ever I can. Often just a trekking pole and my hand grabbing it under the stock. My reason for a tripod was having to many hunting situations where prone just didn't work, with tall grass ect. I have now shot several animals off the tripods sitting out to just short of 600. I want it with me on all hunts

I'm totally ignorant on this...but any recommendations for a lightweight tripod and head for a mountain hunting that's still decent to shoot from?
I don't need the absolute best for PRS matches, but allow reasonable stability to make 500 yd shots, yet still relatively easy to carry?

How light can you go? A 5 lb tripod sounds pretty darn heavy.

What sort of budget should I be looking at?

Thanks,
James
just purchased a Swagger bipod.... couldnt be more excited

OP
J

JDBAK

Lil-Rokslider
Not the first time I've seen this comment, but I don't know why. Will somebody please explain?

Thank you.
My understanding is because its extra weight, less stable (if raised), and doesn't allow you to go as low. That's just from what I've read.

Anyone have an opinion on the Leupold Carbon Fiber Guide tripod? It's 4 lbs, so seems a little heavy, but maybe it's stable enough to be worth the extra weight?

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Not the first time I've seen this comment, but I don't know why. Will somebody please explain?

Thank you.
Its less stable, even collapsed down. It also puts the apex a little higher, so the rifle is higher and center of gravity higher. Tripods with center column are also usually rated for less weight.

Not saying you can't or shouldn't shoot off of them, but they aren't as stable.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The direct mount is a huge stability improvement. I try to still use a rear support when ever I can. Often just a trekking pole and my hand grabbing it under the stock. My reason for a tripod was having to many hunting situations where prone just didn't work, with tall grass ect. I have now shot several animals off the tripods sitting out to just short of 600. I want it with me on all hunts
Agreed, I won't hunt without it. And, direct mount is more stable. I just purchased two full length ARCA rails for my hunting rifles. I am a full convert to tripod. If I could get prone, I can use my tripod instead of a bipod. But, I am so solid in a seated position, I don't really feel there is a practical difference.

My set up has shot two at 575, one at 590 and one 730, me and two other shooters, seated off a tripod. The other two shooters had never shot off a triood before. I set them up and had them squeeze the trigger.

Night and day. Clipping into my Anvil 30 is like cheating. Shooting about 1-MOA 10-shot groups with crappy factory bulk ammo and standing is not hard. I've been using my PS GC on top of the Anvil to practice, and that is a solid set-up as well - just doesn't compare to clipping in.

For reference, my RRS24L with Anvil 30 is 4 pounds 10.9 oz.

Edit to add: that's using a +/- 10.5 pound rifle (includes sling, mag, bipod, optic, and suppressor), which is what I take hunting.
We run the same. I lock in with my Anvil 30 and shoot my 10.5 pound hunting rifle. Once you have shot off a solid tripod with a solid ballhead, it changes everything.

There are a few techniques to know, but they aren't hard to execute.

My tripod and Anvil is about 4 pounds as well. But, I don't carry a bipod now, so my total pack weight isn't any different than it was with a bipod and wiggly glassing tripod.

Lawnboi

WKR
I have have not shot nearly enough from anywhere but my belly. How beneficial do you see an arca attachment being compared to having say a pint sized game changer on top of a tripod?

I don't have a tripod dedicated to shooting off of and none of my hunting rifles have arca adapters.. The only tripod shooting ive done has been with heavy ass PRS style rilfes and heavy ass tripods.
It’s night and day with a light rifle. I’m not a great shot either but have done some comparisons shooting directly attached to my tripod head and off a pint sized game changer squished on the head. I can hold much easier with the direct attachment.

And that’s with a crap Hogg saddle cf tripod. The rrs Iv shot off of at matches are much stiffer.

Seated off a tripod after some practice, as said above feels like cheating.

SirChooCH

Lil-Rokslider
I just went down this rabbit hole as well for my first tripod. Wanted a tripod mainly for glassing but also if I wanted to slap my AR on top for coyotes a few times a year. Picked up the promaster XC-M 525CK from CameralandNY to try it out. I don't think the fluid head is rated for the heavier weight but I just got the Triclawps mount to try out so threw my gun up there to pan out the back yard and seems to work okay. The issue with this mount is the triclawps knob and fluid head arca plate tightening knob interfere with each other so have to be on opposite sides. If If I do this more often I would get an arca rail mlok mounted to the AR handguard to just slide into the head. It also came with a ball head so going to compare/contrast when I get some time as most people say ball head is the way to go for rifles.

20201216_131106.jpg