Lightweight tripod set-up for shooting

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
A sling works for steadying, but your rifle better be able to handle some pressure without changing poi. I don’t clip it anywhere as that just takes too much setup for how I use my tripod I may put a little pressure pulling down to one of the back legs.

The other problem with a sling to the waist or held is that it just takes more time to setup correctly, and you may be focusing on steadying with the sling instead of other important fundamentals.

Natural point of aim is very important in steadying your crosshairs.
All true, there are many techniques.

My sling and cord technique has never been used on a hunt. I have been able to do it seated. And, it would only be used on targets over 450ish standing.

I have practiced and that has made it simple and second nature. And, quality gear makes a huge difference. Not that I am perfect, there are many that are far better.

I don't like anything too complex. Everything I do is simple and is second nature now. I can clip into my belt in a second. I can wrap my arm in a second.

Long range gives time and opportunity. So, a second here or there isn't an issue.

I laugh that old school hunters always make fun of me, make fun of how much gear I have, how "complicated" it is, etc. etc. But, I am a shooter first, so I work on skills to put the bullet on target in one shot.

Bottom line is I can set up from all my gear on my backpack to shooting in 90 seconds or less. Its no slower than most with a bipod who never practice.

Pick your poison, its all cost benefits and based on you, your gear, and your needs.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Do you have a picture of what this looks like?

I forgot to mention it, but when it comes to tripod, standing is just one method, but I have never used it on a hunt. If I can sit, then I can get as steady as I need for hunting out to 800 (as far as I have practiced).

I have always been able to sit. Here is how I do that.

I have an upcoming moose hunt in Alaska and want to practice shooting over brush using a tripod. I have an RRS tripod I use for photography that I plan practicing with. I plan on shooting a 300 WM with a brake off the tripod. It will take some practice to get to manage the recoil and be able to stay in the scope. Moose tend give time for a setup shot and usually a followup shot.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I have an upcoming moose hunt in Alaska and want to practice shooting over brush using a tripod. I have an RRS tripod I use for photography that I plan practicing with. I plan on shooting a 300 WM with a brake off the tripod. It will take some practice to get to manage the recoil and be able to stay in the scope. Moose tend give time for a setup shot and usually a followup shot.

Sounds like an awesome trip.

How far do you expect to shoot?

If not over 400, if I didn't have a rail to clamp my rifle in, I use a bag over the tripod head. It is just like I do in PRS matches.

Quick sticks may be a better option. Most of the time, I am already glassing and have my tripod out and transition to rifle faster.

Although, my buddy glassed up a buck in AK at 575 and we shot it in less than 2 minutes as it was feeding through a short clearing. I had my tripod and rifle on my pack as we were hiking when he saw it.

Like this, except standing, kneeling, or sitting works. We had these kids practice with a 22 till they could hit cans repeatedly at 50 yards. When they hunted, they killed with their first shot. It was awesome.

The bag is a Tacky Sack with Git-Lite from Thunderbird Long Range.

20181012_102025.jpg

I was not planning on shooting past 600 yrds. I will have to practice and see how comfortable I get. I talked with the folks at RRS and purchased the Vyce to use on my BH50 ball head.....will see how that works practicing in the next couple months. I took a long range shooting class with Dave Preston and Ken Sanoski - top PRS shooters - and they showed me some options.....one being the bag ontop of the tripod. I was shooting a 6.5CM at the class .....not much recoil. I haven't had a chance to practice on the tripod since using the 300WM.

We will likely be setup at a glassing spot most if not all the time so the tripod will be setup for glassing and quick changeout to the Vyce.

Last edited:

Lawnboi

WKR
2D7E0403-A4DB-4F42-B852-5D4C0848EF4E.jpeg

Some neat techniques above. And I agree there are a lot of them for shooting off a tripod.

For a budget, decent rest the pint sized git lite game changer bag I carry hunting works. Great rear or front bag as well. No way I’d carry a clamp on a hunt, they are heavy and just another thing to dig out of your pack to setup.

The nice thing about a bag with a lightweight bdl or flush mag setup is I can run the gun right up to the trigger guard and balance a little better

It is a fly in float plane hunt......the plan is to setup near camp and call. Some folks I talked with have shot out to 600 yrds across the lake or sluice. So I don't expect to be packing the tripod and Vyce very far. I have a couple game changer bags ....will have to check out the pint sized git lite game changer bag.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
It is a fly in float plane hunt......the plan is to setup near camp and call. Some folks I talked with have shot out to 600 yrds across the lake or sluice. So I don't expect to be packing the tripod and Vyce very far. I have a couple game changer bags ....will have to check out the pint sized git lite game changer bag.
The Mini Tacky from Thunderbird Long Range is lighter and smaller, but just as versatile.

View attachment 244447

Some neat techniques above. And I agree there are a lot of them for shooting off a tripod.

For a budget, decent rest the pint sized git lite game changer bag I carry hunting works. Great rear or front bag as well. No way I’d carry a clamp on a hunt, they are heavy and just another thing to dig out of your pack to setup.

The nice thing about a bag with a lightweight bdl or flush mag setup is I can run the gun right up to the trigger guard and balance a little better
Agree 100%
I was not planning on shooting past 600 yrds. I will have to practice and see how comfortable I get. I talked with the folks at RRS and purchased the Vyce to use on my BH50 ball head.....will see how that works practsicing in the next couple months. I took a long range shooting class with Dave Preston and Ken Sanoski - top PRS shooters - and they showed me some options.....one being the bag ontop of the tripod. I was shooting a 6.5CM at the class .....not much recoil. I haven't had a chance to practice on the tripod since using the 300WM.

We will likely be setup at a glassing spot most if not all the time so the tripod will be setup for glassing and quick changeout to the Vyce.

Get your body weight in front of the rifle, leaning into it like I demoed. That absorbs rhe recoil.

If you shot with those guys, you will do fine with the magnum.

IMO you will be better off buying a 4" ARCA plate and bolting it to your stock. Its as fast as a bag in most situations and it helps reduce recoil.

You have lots of good info to work out what is gonna be best for you.

Lawnboi

WKR
@hereinaz do they make a lighter version? My git lite pint sized is just over a pound barely.

I’m always looking for lighter but can’t stand bags with those mini styrofoam beads

bradb

WKR
20190914_152725.jpg20190914_151926.jpg
Dropped the pics from phone and trying to edit for words from computer. This was Yukon 2019 prone on sheep(415) sitting on moose 587) On moose was moving on a different one in tall willows so had legs long for standing and ended up moving quick across the flat on the one I shot. Guide had grabbed tripod and said shit we have to close the legs, I said no I will just swing them out quick.

The versatility and the stability is why I wont be with out it.

I have only shot this years proghorn standing and that was only 200 yards

Most of my bags have been a little low for probe of the tripod, I had precision underground make me a taller bag with there mid weight fill and I really like it(about 2 lbs) he can do them with his light fill also.

Better get back to work now!

Last edited:

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
@hereinaz do they make a lighter version? My git lite pint sized is just over a pound barely.

I’m always looking for lighter but can’t stand bags with those mini styrofoam beads
This is the Mini Tacky version for Hat Creek Training filled with Git-Lite. Bryan uses and gives these bags in their training. Just the loop is different from the Mini Tacky.

I agree that the white foam beads are too squishy.

Attachments

• 20201221_071557.jpg
    20201221_071557.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 69

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor

Excellent pics.

This position is a good "high prone" to stay low but get over the vegetation. Looks like you are laying on your pack. Thats what I do.

The sitting position, I will stuff a backpack or my puffy jacket under my shooting elbow. A little bit of rear support makes it much more stable.

bradb

WKR
Sheep I laid there for about 40 minutes, had bino and fist for rear support. THe moose started with a sprint sinking in shin deep mud, I used my knee for a rear support. I often use just a trecking pole for rear sitting

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
View attachment 244579View attachment 244580
Dropped the pics from phone and trying to edit for words from computer. This was Yukon 2019 prone on sheep(415) sitting on moose 587) On moose was moving on a different one in tall willows so had legs long for standing and ended up moving quick across the flat on the one I shot. Guide had grabbed tripod and said shit we have to close the legs, I said no I will just swing them out quick.

Most of my bags have been a little low for probe of the tripod, I had precision underground make me a taller bag with there mid weight fill and I really like it(about 2 lbs) he can do them with his light fill also.

That's awesome. Once you go with a good tripod, you don't go back. The versatility is exactly why I went with a stiff tripod.

In the end, there is no better way to make a long range shot with guaranteed precision and accuracy than a good tripod when the rifle is clipped in. Having shot PRS, you just get aware of what can be done in 90 seconds...

I carry my tripod, Mini Tacky, and this big bag. It is fillled with a lightweight bead. It is squishy kinda like the white foam beads, but it is better and doesn't crush ovee time.

The big bag I sit on glassing, pillow at night, and use it to stuff under my elbow when shooting on the tripod. I only leave it if I am gonna go really ultralight.

20201221_072813.jpg

ericwh

WKR
What do you guys think about twist-lock vs flip-lock for leg height adjustment? I was looking at the Innorel RT80C and saw they have an "upgraded" version with flip-lock legs:

I have had mixed experiences with twist-locks on trekking poles and am used to having flip-locks on camera tripods. But I'm thinking it might be easier to make small, one-handed leg-length adjustments while loaded, with a twist-lock?

Never shot from a tripod, interested in getting something mid-grade to explore but hopefully last me a while. I think I'd like to try getting by with the bowl and a clamp to start with.

I think sitting would be my primary use so if there's another short/medium option, or if I could ditch a leg section on the Innorel I would be interested.

How big a difference is shooting sitting from a tripod vs sitting off a upright kifaru pack (my current strategy)?

I haven't explored using a trekking pole for fore-aft support with the pack - I think that could improve things for me. But for most hunts, I like having a tripod anyway for photos and glassing and I don't usually carry trekking poles while I'm hunting.

bradb

WKR
I used to think only flip locks, but I have had no issues with the twist on the rrs. I am fat and can hang from the tripod with it in the extended(standing height) position so it can hold plenty of weight. I think you will see a lot of difference in stability, but of course its relative to how stable you need to be and how far. You can use your knee for rear support, your pack for rear support and tripod in front ect. I just gave a way to add stability there are of course lots of optioins

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
What do you guys think about twist-lock vs flip-lock for leg height adjustment? I was looking at the Innorel RT80C and saw they have an "upgraded" version with flip-lock legs:

I have had mixed experiences with twist-locks on trekking poles and am used to having flip-locks on camera tripods. But I'm thinking it might be easier to make small, one-handed leg-length adjustments while loaded, with a twist-lock?

Never shot from a tripod, interested in getting something mid-grade to explore but hopefully last me a while. I think I'd like to try getting by with the bowl and a clamp to start with.

I think sitting would be my primary use so if there's another short/medium option, or if I could ditch a leg section on the Innorel I would be interested.

How big a difference is shooting sitting from a tripod vs sitting off a upright kifaru pack (my current strategy)?

I haven't explored using a trekking pole for fore-aft support with the pack - I think that could improve things for me. But for most hunts, I like having a tripod anyway for photos and glassing and I don't usually carry trekking poles while I'm hunting.
I am thinking of buying that flip lock to test. The twist lock is easy enough to use. I have had problems when I get AZ desert dust and some Colorado mud. If you get grit in the twist lock, the leg can get stuck. That is one downfall, but mine got extraordinarily dirty on accident. All it takes is a quick dissassembly and a little wiping and water. I've used twist lock dozens of times and only had it lock up once, and that was because of neglect and conditions conspiring to get me.

Clamping your rifle to a tripod and using rear support in a seated position, whether that is a bag, trekking pole, or something else is as close as you can get to prone. It is going to be dramatically better than shooting over a pack. I have proven to myself I can shoot well under 1 moa at 500-650 with my tripod in a seated position if I am sitting on a slope with my feet below me. You can see how I set up in the Sitka blacktail video I posted. I just haven't tested it further than that, but my rifle will shoot to 1000 and I am sure it would continue to perform. Basically, I practice for reasonable hunting shots so I feel 100% confident when it comes gametime. I stopped going to the range to practice. I put my rifle on my pack, and hike a trail, and shoot rocks, practicing as if I spotted a deer and need to take the shot. I make probably 95% of all first round shots and then shoot a small group to confirm it.

Start with the bowl and clamp. For shooting there isn't anything better. And, though range of motion is the one drawback, you can quickly figure out how to set up the tripod and get all the range of motion you need.

I started with the Innorel 80 and a cheap ball head. That is what I used in Alaska on the Sitka. I was fully converted and upgraded over time.

If you haven't shot off a tripod with the rifle clamped on it, you just can't understand. Get one and go for it.

View attachment 244579View attachment 244580

Nice setup. What caliber are you shooting?