Location Bugling

bpeay4

FNG
Pretty new to the archery elk thing so this probably a dumb question but... when you stop in a "good place" to make location calls, how many cow calls and/or location bugles are you doing?

Is it simply one Bugle and done or are you doing a few cow calls followed by a couple bugles. I don't want to overcall but also don't want to walk past elk because I didn't call enough to get them to sound off?

Read1t48

WKR
It's a good question, but I think it's like a "Ford vs. Chevy" debate. Let me explain...

Some people will use a cow call, because it is quieter (in case of elk nearby) and is non-threatening. They will start with 2 or 3 cow calls, wait a couple minutes, and the send a locate bugle. If no response, they move on.

In the early season, I don't think most bulls care about cows. Most of them could care less and they know there aren't any cows in estrus. So a cow call is not an "action". The bull, even if nearby, just thinks, 'oh... there's a cow. Who cares!" And the continue to lay in their bed.

But bulls, even in the early season, want to know "who" all the other bulls are. Most of them know each other. So when you "bugle" into an area, and they haven't heard you before, they will come investigate. It's not a call of "action", but you will still get their attention and curiosity and they will likely come looking out of curiosity. To size you up since you're the new kid on the block.

When hunting really thick areas, bulls are only likely to hear the highest note of your bugle. It has to be LOUD. The low part doesn't really matter in my experience. To some, it might even sound like an aggressive bugle - a level 7 out of 10, or even a lip bawl or sorts. But these callers are just trying to make the highest note to illicit a response.

Some guys will let out a short bugle or bark, prior to their bugle, to get their initial attention. Think about a bull feeding, or walking and 'whishing' through the brush, or dozing of in his bed. They may hear your bugle, but it catches them off guard because they weren't in an ideal position to REALLY hear. So a quick bark or something leading up to the bugle, followed by a pause, so they can turn their head, raise their head, quit walking (think.. they are echo locating, too) may allow them to hear your intended bugle which is the 2nd sound you make.

In thick country, I am amazed at how close one can be to the elk (or the caller), but because of terrain features (ridge, creek, thick timber, etc.) is is completely washed out in a very short distance. This is why its beneficial to bugle from ridges (you can bugle from each side) and to bugle on different parts of the mountain. I have bugled in spots where I thought the elk could hear me, but have to go all the way around and then I get a response. I don't think they were being lazy on my first bugle; they just didn't hear me until the terrain features were right.

I think the area and setup is also crucial as to how you "bugle". If you're in a known bedding area, and you're in the heat of the rut, maybe you can sneak into the peripheral of the bedding area and instead of locate, you use a bull calling cows bugle or something different. In short, the level of noise you try to create should be balanced by the situation.

I don't think you can really do anything wrong. You should develop a setup, cadence, and strategy that works for you. That will build your confidence. And confidence kills elk.

Last edited:

Marble

WKR
For me, it's usually 2 bugles and possibly a cow call.

Cow calls can be threatening to the herd. I've had bulls respond to a bugle and then had the cows run off from a cow call. My theory is that either they didn't like the cow call or they didn't want another cow joining their group.

I've seen lead cows do very odd things, sometimes really smart, sometimes not. For the most part, they don't care too much about a cow call.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

I killed the bull in my avatar in early September exclusively using cow calls.

Outside of early and late when a bull is likely to bugle, I tend to hike ridges and cow call through a tube into the bottom of the north faces. I prefer the cow call for locating because it's non-threatening and you could even get another cow or calf to respond, alerting you to a herd's presence.

I will still let her rip with a bugle now and then if I find a good sounding spot, but if I'm working a longer ridge I may only bugle every quarter mile or half mile, but I'll cow call every couple/few hundred yards.

wytx

WKR
Location bugle with a few chuckles a bit later.
Cow calls maybe if an answer.

Very different answers from different people & areas , I have not had crap for luck where I hunt in Idaho using locator bugles . My rule of thumb is when I get into an area that has sign or looks Elkie I find a spot sit down & fire off a single non threating bugle wait a minute & fire off 2 soft cow mews then start beating on a bush or tree for a few minutes, I wait 5 to 10 minutes if I dont hear or see anything I move between 50 & 150 yards depending on cover & repeat the same sequence I do this 3 to 4 times if there is no reply or critters I move on. Later in the season like from the 10th on I will find a spot and use only my cow & lost calf calls I have had bulls come in as soon as I remove the call from my lips & I have had them take 45 minutes to come in !! There is NO ONE sound for all seasons or situations !! Trail & error

I usually cow call first. Wait 2-5 minutes then cow call again. Wait a couple minutes then send out the bugle.
Worked for me this year pretty well. But I’m still new to all this.

jpmulk

WKR
I do a bit of everything. I’ve had bulls I didn’t know were there respond to cow calls, chuckles, location bugles, bulls calling cows bugles, and raking. One time I barked and then did a bull calling cows bugle and got a distant response.

In short, it doesn’t matter what sound you use. Try ‘em all. The advantage of a location bugle is it’s more drawn out and higher pitched, so I think it reaches farther.

Just my two bits.

I use lost mews (the cow equivalent vocalization of a locate bugle) almost exclusively for locating, but it definitely depends on the situation/time of year/how pressured the area is.

When prospecting, A lost cow looking for a herd creates a very plausible scenario for a bull listening: typically when you’re trying to find the elk and/or don’t know how they’re using the country yet, the herds have already transitioned and bulls are bedded up. If you’re following sign into what you think is a good bedding area, throwing out lost mews at strategic points, those vocalizations “make sense” to the bull/herd. In my experience, the bull won’t always answer from a longer distance, but once you move closer into his zone, he’ll respond. Once you get a response, you can then decide if you’re going to try to slip in close, or back out and wait for them to get up for the evening transition. This is also a very effective tactic to kill satellite bulls. If they hear a lost cow, they’ll sometimes come smoking in to try to peel her off the herd. This also sets up a “stolen cow routine” scenario you can play if a herd bull gets interested but won’t leave his cows.

As others have alluded to, it depends on your hunting style and the situation on the ground. You’ll develop a system over time that works for you if you keep at it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalki

Last edited: