Long Range Rifle Questions

That does show the big velocity penalty when cutting down barrels with overbore cartridges, but those numbers don’t reflect normal length barrels that the majority of people use. There’s nothing wrong with short barrels, but it’s not something I’d do.

No it doesn’t. 26” barrels should be doing 3,000 to 3,050fps MV witj a 147gr within pressure. 25-30fps reduction in MV per inch of barrel regardless of cartridge.

Even at 3000 FPS barrel velocity you’re still making a 2.1 MOA correction at 600 yards with the given example. 2 inches less than the creed. Like I said. There’s really not a big difference at 600 yards.
300 fps difference makes 3” of difference in wind according to Hornady. In difficult to read conditions many people (including me) pooch reading it by 50%, an error of 1-1/2”. Reducing the kill zone by 1-1/2” seems like a lot to me, especially at long range where every little bit helps.

If you are really good at reading wind it won’t make any difference, but I’m often surprised at changes in wind speed and direction while hiking - last week I could clearly see the terrain for a mile upwind, and still could not visualize how the direction changed at a certain spot - so I back tracked and it still doesn’t make sense why that spot has such a dramatic direction change, but it’s obviously terrain related.

It’s only real data from hundreds of rifles, not make believe that you like to post, so I suppose- “whatever”.
Whatever - just because you repeat it dozens of times doesn’t make it so. Young Jr high school me knew that wasn’t true based on chronograph data, and it’s still not true today. The more overbore a cartridge is, the more it makes use of longer barrels - I’m embarrassed for you to even try to argue that the rest of the shooting world is wrong and you are right.

Whatever - just because you repeat it dozens of times doesn’t make it so. Young Jr high school me knew that wasn’t true based on chronograph data, and it’s still not true today. The more overbore a cartridge is, the more it makes use of longer barrels - I’m embarrassed for you to even try to argue that the rest of the shooting world is wrong and you are right.

It’s not the rest of the world that thinks as you do- just the people that have little experience actually measuring it.

Here’s Hornady’s book data (pressure tested)-

26” barrel-
IMG_8662.jpeg

Here’s the load data-
IMG_8663.jpeg

Only one powder makes 3,050fps, every other one maxes out at 2,950 to 3,000fps. The person you responded to with a 20” barrel is getting 2,850fps- for a difference is 150fps from a 6” shorter barrel. What is 150 divided by 6?

It’s not the rest of the world that thinks as you do- just the people that have little experience actually measuring it.
It seems like it’s painful for you to be wrong. Grasp at whatever straws you need to to feel better, but repeating it doesn’t make it true.

That does show the big velocity penalty when cutting down barrels with overbore cartridges, but those numbers don’t reflect normal length barrels that the majority of people use. There’s nothing wrong with short barrels, but it’s not something I’d do.
Show me a cartridge that doesn't loose the same velocity per inch or more when reducing barrel length. I'll wait.

It seems like it’s painful for you to be wrong. Grasp at whatever straws you need to to feel better, but repeating it doesn’t make it true.
Since you only ever bring imaginary data wit you, here is another data point.
7mm RM loses 25-28 fps/inch of barrel length lost. Going from 28" to 20".

300 WM, 24” barrel, 178gr MAX.

Same lot of ammo, 24” data was 2,960fps MV-
IMG_8683.jpeg

Unknown Munitions cut it back to 20.5” a few weeks ago, chrono from today, with the same box of ammo as before- 2,880fps-
IMG_8675.jpeg

22fps per inch… Magic.

Hornady load data for a 25” barrel,
190gr and H4831 is 2,800fps-
IMG_8684.jpeg

IMG_8685.jpeg

190gr load from today with a 20.5” barrel is 2,853fps- so it gained 15fps per inch of barrel cut off…..

IMG_8676.jpeg

Or it could be that it’s easy to get more MV if you’re willing to flatten a few primers-

IMG_8687.jpeg

Last edited:
Back