Long range shooting challenge from Backfire

Wrongside

WKR
Hard to know where to start with that hot mess.

His ‘Marine long-range expert’ is a more than a little delusional about his own abilities and limitations. He’s a perfect example of someone who’s ‘over-gunned’ and as a result, possibly, has terrible shooting fundamentals. He may just have bad fundamentals no matter what, but a 300Mag sure isn’t helping.

(Edit: I don’t want to sound too harsh. Mike the Marine seems like a nice guy, and a good sport about it all. I thank him for his service.) 🙂

Last edited:
OP
gerry35

gerry35

WKR
He does seem like a likeable guy and had the guts to show up at least. That 300 is going to be punishing that's for sure. That scope kiss was a pretty hard one and doesn't feel very good. A nice fast twist 243 or 6 CM would have been a lot better.

For the record I feel good to about 300 yards since that's usually as far as I practice.

TaperPin

WKR
Just shows, shooting $1,000,000 in ammo does not make someone a good shot.

Also shows, not holding onto the rifle with the trigger hand doesn’t always work all that well.

I stopped watching after he missed the 250 yard shot. *chuckle*

Last edited:
Dude was flinching like crazy and LOTS of peaking over the scope. Kudos to him for putting his money where his mouth is though
That man was popping off that cheekweld like a curious meerkat. Unsure what he was doing with his support hand too. Looks like he was cupping his firing hand with it. I didn't watch the whole thing, but was he not allowed to use a rear bag?
lol just seeing the vortex scope was enough to know he wasn't going to do it,
I don't know man I've gone to 1200 on steel (obviously wouldn't shoot at an animal that far) with a Vortex Razor and it was fine.

4cMuley

Lil-Rokslider
I really wish someone would’ve went out there with a 223, .243, 6.5cm, 6cm, etc hunting rifle and cleaned the course. Maybe that backfire dude would quit being such a fudd about what a “hunting caliber” is

OP
gerry35

gerry35

WKR
I really wish someone would’ve went out there with a 223, .243, 6.5cm, 6cm, etc hunting rifle and cleaned the course. Maybe that backfire dude would quit being such a fudd about what a “hunting caliber” is
He has an open challenge for someone to do that for round 2. I hope someone from this site does, that's why I posted this thread.

Not a chance. He relies on it for click bait video titles. Even when I want to get pissed off, I avoid the temptation.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Just shows, shooting $1,000,000 in ammo does not make someone a good shot.

Who shot $1,000,000 in ammo? The US military is laughably untrained in shooting.

For me the one saving grace of this video was it poking a hole in the "I can do that easily, I was in the military!" thing that gets repeated way too often when it comes to long range.

The average yearly ammo that was historically shot by a USMC Scout/Sniper is about what a typical PRS shooter does in one match.

northernalpine

Lil-Rokslider
Hard to know where to start with that hot mess.

…has terrible shooting fundamentals.
If you skip to where there’s consecutive shots in a row, you can see a number of things. Inconsistent hand placement, coming off the glass immediately (follow through), etc.

As much as it pains me to say this, I feel comfortable generalizing the majority of modern shooters hunters in this category.

Except the trained killers here on the ‘slide of course 😉

The average yearly ammo that was historically shot by a USMC Scout/Sniper is about what a typical PRS shooter does in one match.
I helped my father's friend from when he was in the Marines spec out a starter rifle for long range recently. Afterwards he was saying to my father "I'd like to see him try to qualify on the Marine Corps rifle range!". The confidence is endearing in a way but it does come off as somewhat delusional sometimes.

Dang… after watching that I’m second guessing what my realistic maximum ethical hunting range is.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I helped my father's friend from when he was in the Marines spec out a starter rifle for long range recently. Afterwards he was saying to my father "I'd like to see him try to qualify on the Marine Corps rifle range!". The confidence is endearing in a way but it does come off as somewhat delusional sometimes.

It’s not somewhat delusional- it’s just delusional. It’s why appeals to authority are a fallacy. Very, very rarely are “authorities” demonstrably skilled or knowledgeable.