Long stabilizers with bow strapped to pack

surso

FNG
What are you guys doing with longish stabilizers if your bow is strapped on your pack? I jumped up to a 12" stabilizer and I'm afraid of it getting caught on brush while in the back country. Are you guys just removing them and reinstalling with a typical quick disconnect system?

FlyGuy

WKR
I run a crossroads 12”-33” stab (12” compressed). I rarely ever strap to my bow to my pack, but when I do it hasn’t been a problem. Last year we hiked in before season opener and I did strap to pack and I remover the stab and carried it in the spotter pocket, but I would never do that if the season were open unless it was just a long hike back to camp after dark. (A quick release attachment is a good way to go for long stabs btw, tedious to thread them on/off completely every time you put it in or take it out of the case.)

Instead of strapping the bow my pack, usually I just flip the bow up over my shoulders Cam Hanes style and let it balance on top of my pack. What’s great here about The long stab is that it sticks far enough out in front of me (over my right shoulder) for me to just rest one hand on it and easily control the bow. No worries of it falling off when ducking under something or getting hung on a limb and being pulled off the top of my pack. After seeing how easy it was for me to portage my bow through the Mtns, One of my hunting partners went out and bought a long stab solely for the purpose of carrying the blow over his shoulders! Give it a try. (Your pack has to be somewhat loaded for it to work, not much, day hunt mode works great for me, but it can’t be completely compressed and flat against your back for it to work).

Good luck this Fall!

e3cab1ea63db1a372d24cfafe4df7350.jpg

You can’t cheat the mountain

OP
S

surso

FNG
Flyguy... hmm never thought of carrying it that way. I’ll try it out. With that long adjustable stab, have you tried the hip style hook for the bow and have the stab rest behind your shoulder? I believe that’s what Corey Jacobsen does.

I have been eyeing those Crossroad adjustable stabs, but was thinking I would rather have a smaller compressed length. Maybe like 6” compressed to 18”-24” extended. Haven’t seen anything like that yet though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FlyGuy

WKR
Not sure I follow. I have a belt hook that I use just to hang the Bow from (instead of leaning it against a tree) if I need to use both hands for something (like a quick look thru binos), but not sure that is what you are talking about?

They make a shorter stab. I tried it but switched back to the longer one after a few months.

You can’t cheat the mountain

OP
S

surso

FNG
Yeah I think that’s the same thing. He’ll hang the bow on the hook with the stabilizer extended and facing upwards. Then end of the stabilizer will hit behind his shoulder. I believe he hikes some with it like this too when he’s not holding the bow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wapitibob

WKR
That's how everybody carries their target bows and 30" front bars although we just hold the bow in our hand. The hook would work too. I carry my hunting bow with long front bar the same way.

colersu22

WKR
I have the smaller crossbreed and carry my bow like flyguy and it works great.

WCB

WKR
I have a 12" stabilizer...I have never had a problem with brush when strapped to my back...I have carried it behind my head/across my shoulders with a pack on and it works alright in open country. But if you are navigating any steep terrain or in brush it isnt the best for security.