“Look!… right?” One hundred percent!

Swamp Fox

WKR
Not common parlance (parlez vous) that I seen, even when I circle back to it, but:

"Without evidence" has become a thing with "journalists" who I suppose are mostly not "reporters" these days and are definitely not Sherlock Holmes, so maybe they can say whatever they want ...

"TweetyBird claimed today, without evidence, that he taught he taw a puddy tat.... "

It's funny, though, how they were never concerned about evidence until a few years ago, and all the "without evidence" commentary leans one way.

You know what I'm sayin', right?

Last edited:

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Funny, if you know what someone is expressing, then the purpose of language has been met. Language is living, and when a language rigidly locks itself in using a dictionary it eventually becomes less useful. Rigid adherence and complaining about things that don't matter are marks of an underdeveloped mind; hence my multiple soap boxes as I got stuck somewhere between 2 and 3.

Pleonasm

Basically…essentially…
pleonasm is understood to mean a word or phrase which is useless, clichéd, or repetitive, but a pleonasm can also be simply an unremarkable use of idiom.
I appreciate the addition of another vocabulary word, though Oxford English suggests it applies to me as I'm frequently superfluous in my writing style. By being pleonastic, I hope to avoid others being confused, but frequently just stir the puddle and make things unclear.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Just a few weeks ago my wife said to me "I have a hack for that". And I said, "ya, so do I......but I don't want to destroy it just yet". Then she explained that "hack" just meant "tip". And I said "then say "TIP", sheesh". Because I'll "hack" the crap out of something that's not working properly. And here's a "tip".......steer clear of me when I start hacking.

rclouse79

WKR
I know, right? I find myself unconsciously mocking my students when they say that. Is it the right thing to do? One hundred percent! Look, it might get me in hot water someday, but it is worth it.

OP
menhaden_man
You beat me to my favorite pet peeve.

I promise, no one day skiing or hunting has ever been epic...
One younger dude we used to work with posted something on his Facebook after going to Vegas… he said “one word to describe last night, ERIC!”

Computer autocorrected him and replies piled in about this guy he spent the night with before he realized. Serves him right!

Vaultman

WKR
Coworker of mine gives a suggestion to something, and ends that suggestion with "or". This usually goes about like this:

"Customer asked for his project to be done by the 10th, but we do not have his project scheduled to be started until the 15th, we can either perform the work before the 10th or..." and then they stop talking.

This had been done to me so many times I finally just said "or what?". That coworker looked at me as if I was crazy.