Looking for 200gr ~2850+ Out of a 22" Barrel - What 30cal Cartridge?

SloppyJ

WKR
Wanting to build a new rifle for heavier (200+gr) 30cal projectiles. I have a 30-06 for 165-180s, a 280ai for that range and under, and a whole lineup of others for lighter weight stuff. 2900fps would be great but I understand I have a lot of stuff working against me here.

I want to build this myself so bonus points for an action that accommodates that. It will be supressed which is why I'm looking at a 22" barrel. I'm starting to think I'm asking too much because I don't want to build a rifle that I hate shooting either. This doesn't have to be super light weight, 9 to 10lbs would be fine.

This will be the first dedicated rifle I build. I've done some playing around with a savage and it turned out great so I want to jump in now. I'm looking for the best bang for the buck and I'm thinking that might be building off a tikka which brings other elements at play but I'm open to anything really as long as I can spin it up. I will bed it and don't mind doing inlet work if I have to. I'm a sucker for CRF so a ARC might be a good option too. I'd love a CRF action.

Here's what's running through my head:

300wsm - this is the extreme upper end of that cartridge and the barrel likely needs to be throated deep. Not sure if they make prefits like that.

300PRC - seems to be a bad call with a tikka build due to mag length. Could do on a custom action.

300wm - same deal as the wsm with the throat depth I think. Seems like it might be the worst option for a shorter barrel.

I go through all this to say, what would you do here? Are my wants too unreasonable? Quit making it difficult and stick with a 24"? And the last whammy, I'm left handed!

These are the thoughts that have been consuming me lately. 🤣

LightFoot

WKR
I’d go 300 PRC on a custom action… however, I got the Fierce Rogue 300 PRC with 22 inch barrel and I’m getting ~2740 with factory 212 ELDX and ~2705 with factor 225 ELDM. For $2200, you can’t come close to building it for that. The titanium is only about $400 more.

>>>——JAKE——>

rifletuner

Lil-Rokslider
I dont think you can get everything you arnd with a Tikka build. A 300WSM would fit in the action, but will not give you a the velocity to you want with 200gn bullets.

I get 2900FPS with Berger 215gn bullets in my 300 Win Mag, but thats with a 26" barrel. And the COAL is 3.710", so no way thats going to mag feed on a Tikka.

I am left handed and have a 300 Norma on a ARC Mausingfield. I am getting in the low 2900s with a 225gn ELD-M with a 26" barrel. I think thats the kind of build you need if you want to get around 2900 with a 22" barrel.

bmart2622

WKR
I’d go 300 PRC on a custom action… however, I got the Fierce Rogue 300 PRC with 22 inch barrel and I’m getting ~2740 with factory 212 ELDX and ~2705 with factor 225 ELDM. For $2200, you can’t come close to building it for that. The titanium is only about $400 more.

>>>——JAKE——>
But then you're left with a Fierce

axeforce6

WKR
300wsm will get you there. What bullet are you planning on using? Copper will be slower of course. You'll need a properly throated barrel to make us of the cartridge, so prefit will be out. H4831 will get ya there. H4350 should get ya close.

bmart2622

WKR
Thats a tall order but a 205 EH or 215 Hybrid or something similar bearing surface wise and N570 would be what I would try

BjornF16

WKR
Hornady data is for 24” barrel…theoretically 2850 is achievable with 22” barrel with a few powders like RL-17, H100V, IMR 4350, Superformance and Hunter.

Nosler data adds RL-19, RL-22, and IMR 7828 that could get you there (theoretically).

Of course, you could have a slow barrel and then you’d be SOL..

You should be able to spec what throat you want.

300 WSM is probably a better fit in Tikka compared to 300 WM for max COAL.

300 PRC you’d have comfortable pad in loads.

OP
SloppyJ

SloppyJ

WKR
300wsm will get you there. What bullet are you planning on using? Copper will be slower of course. You'll need a properly throated barrel to make us of the cartridge, so prefit will be out. H4831 will get ya there. H4350 should get ya close.
I love me some accubonds and the bc on the 200gr is much better than the rest of the line. That's what I would prefer to hunt with. I will take a hit on BC to have a tougher bullet.

What makes you think that can be done on a wsm? I know there are a lot of factors but from what I've read and even someone's post above this, it seems damn near impossible. I really wish it could be done on a wsm, it would make things a lot easier.

axeforce6

WKR
I love me some accubonds and the bc on the 200gr is much better than the rest of the line. That's what I would prefer to hunt with. I will take a hit on BC to have a tougher bullet.

What makes you think that can be done on a wsm? I know there are a lot of factors but from what I've read and even someone's post above this, it seems damn near impossible. I really wish it could be done on a wsm, it would make things a lot easier.
I have a 20” 300wsm I shoot 185 bergers out of at 2900fps. I’ll have to look through load data but it’s with H4350 and ADG brass. Very accurate not at max. I could have kept going but it was so accurate there wasn’t a reason too. I believe RL 22 would be faster with a 200gr bullet but H4831sc will get you there. If not it’ll be damn near. The bearing surface in the 200ab will be longer of course but with the extra 2” will make up for that. The 300wsm is an efficient round and well before its time. Something with a little longer throat will shine for sure. If you’re in middle Tn you’d be welcome to shoot mine. I have a 300PRC as well if you’d wanna try that.

VA2MT

Lil-Rokslider
Seekins Element 300 win 2873fps with 215 Berger and 75.6 gr H1000 3.605 OAL.

I have a 300 prc Snowy Mountain Rifle 22” tube that shoots 200 Eldx at 2994 fps. Es in the single digits and 1/2” groups at long range.

200 eldx
H1000
ADG brass
Fed 215

OP
SloppyJ

SloppyJ

WKR
I have a 300 prc Snowy Mountain Rifle 22” tube that shoots 200 Eldx at 2994 fps. Es in the single digits and 1/2” groups at long range.

200 eldx
H1000
ADG brass
Fed 215
That's what I'm talking about! Thank you for the info.

Longtine

FNG
Classified Approved
Wanting to build a new rifle for heavier (200+gr) 30cal projectiles. I have a 30-06 for 165-180s, a 280ai for that range and under, and a whole lineup of others for lighter weight stuff. 2900fps would be great but I understand I have a lot of stuff working against me here.

I want to build this myself so bonus points for an action that accommodates that. It will be supressed which is why I'm looking at a 22" barrel. I'm starting to think I'm asking too much because I don't want to build a rifle that I hate shooting either. This doesn't have to be super light weight, 9 to 10lbs would be fine.

This will be the first dedicated rifle I build. I've done some playing around with a savage and it turned out great so I want to jump in now. I'm looking for the best bang for the buck and I'm thinking that might be building off a tikka which brings other elements at play but I'm open to anything really as long as I can spin it up. I will bed it and don't mind doing inlet work if I have to. I'm a sucker for CRF so a ARC might be a good option too. I'd love a CRF action.

Here's what's running through my head:

300wsm - this is the extreme upper end of that cartridge and the barrel likely needs to be throated deep. Not sure if they make prefits like that.

300PRC - seems to be a bad call with a tikka build due to mag length. Could do on a custom action.

300wm - same deal as the wsm with the throat depth I think. Seems like it might be the worst option for a shorter barrel.

I go through all this to say, what would you do here? Are my wants too unreasonable? Quit making it difficult and stick with a 24"? And the last whammy, I'm left handed!

These are the thoughts that have been consuming me lately. 🤣
Hnadloading the 300 PRC and the 300 WM will get you to the 2,850 mark. I've tried both. But after that I went a little bit more. I build a 30 Nosler at 20" suppressed and hitting 3,015 with 215's. (y)