Looking for a custom knife maker recommendation

Kindo

WKR
As the title says, I’m looking for a great knife maker for an heirloom quality knife that will be used and hunted with.

I’m not too concerned on price as this is for my brother in law who has helped me through a pretty tough year. What I would like to do is get in touch with the maker, pre-pay for the knife or do a gift card, get my bro in law on the wait list and let him pick out his perfect knife.

This won’t be for a collection so I really don’t want to “pay for a name” but instead want a quality knife with some nice customization options. I know there are a ton of good ones out there!

ChrisS

WKR

Stalker69

WKR
You owe it to yourself to check out chopsknives.com before you decide. Dude makes some incredible knives. He has alot of pictures of his knives on face book.

junitas03

FNG
Winkler - beautiful knives that age for generations.
Half Face Blades - same / same but more “special” as they use stones, horn and other rare materials in their handles, etc.

Both do not expressly do custom, but both create knives that will increase in value. Half Face blades have resold for 5x their original MSRP.

I bet if you emailed Winkler knives they’d make an exception. And, might make something special for you. They’re awesome.

I’m currently using my grandfather’s Winkler.

wytx

WKR
I would try to find a local , or semi local, guy to make one.

Chops does do very nice work, as does Travis Fry. Different styles for sure.

NDGuy

WKR
Both do not expressly do custom, but both create knives that will increase in value. Half Face blades have resold for 5x their original MSRP.
That's long overwith most are taking a bath now trying to resell. They ramped up production and collectors only want old stuff now.

NDGuy

WKR
As the title says, I’m looking for a great knife maker for an heirloom quality knife that will be used and hunted with.
To name a few in no particular order
Winkler
Charles May Knives
Semper Sharp
Vorn Knives
Gene Ingram (if you can find them)
Lucas Forge
Wayne Walker Knives
Robert Erickson (Erickson Knifeworks)
Wenger Blades
Wilburn Forge (MasterSmith)
Montana Knife Company
Gentry Custom Knives
Horsewright knives
Littlewolf Ironworks

Last edited:
Winkler - beautiful knives that age for generations.
Half Face Blades - same / same but more “special” as they use stones, horn and other rare materials in their handles, etc.

I bet if you emailed Winkler knives they’d make an exception. And, might make something special for you. They’re awesome.

I’m currently using my grandfather’s Winkler.
Big difference in makers.
Daniel Winkler is an ABS MASTERSMITH

Scottyboy

WKR
Mike Jones knife and tool from British Columbia, I would nix HFB as earlier suggested, Andy is out a LONG time for a custom, if his books are even open. Great shit no doubt and maybe get lucky on a drop. But a custom; you have better odds with powerball.

coiloil37

Lil-Rokslider
I’m fairly partial to Dan Crotts, Bob Dozier and Phil Wilson. The odds of getting a Wilson are pretty much zero and between the other two Dan is the quickest and you know it’s made by him specifically and nobody else.

I tried many different designs and scale materials and settled on this design for my primary hunting knife.

Photo before it got used.

9554b9cb33e8af442de80fc76ba8559b.jpg

2d408dc4dcb9a5fbd627bf201b979b34.jpg

This was the first one I had built with that design and found it was a perfect design.

f7aa4e92b9d75ef19066023f0b1485c6.jpg

I still have a dozier on hand

ba4b48e0c1057ff17b5375cbb2d056d2.jpg

And I wouldn’t give up my Wilson for anything.

Good luck. Plenty of excellent options out there.

NDGuy

WKR
I’m fairly partial to Dan Crotts, Bob Dozier and Phil Wilson. The odds of getting a Wilson are pretty much zero and between the other two Dan is the quickest and you know it’s made by him specifically and nobody else.

I tried many different designs and scale materials and settled on this design for my primary hunting knife.

Photo before it got used.

9554b9cb33e8af442de80fc76ba8559b.jpg

2d408dc4dcb9a5fbd627bf201b979b34.jpg

This was the first one I had built with that design and found it was a perfect design.

f7aa4e92b9d75ef19066023f0b1485c6.jpg

I still have a dozier on hand

ba4b48e0c1057ff17b5375cbb2d056d2.jpg

And I wouldn’t give up my Wilson for anything.

Good luck. Plenty of excellent options out there.
I’ll second a Crotts/Dozier perfect designs and blades