Looking for a custom knife maker recommendation

frogman43

FNG
Dozier/Crotts are good knives, but a bit utilitarian.

I almost regret what I'm about to type here.......because he will end up like Dozier, Wilson and Ingram....so backed up you can't order anything!

If you want a handmade knife that has the finest fit and finish, contact Rick Menefee.......the best your money can buy!

griller

FNG
Kim Breed Knives out of Clarksville, TN is definitely worth a look. I have several of his customs that are 10+ yrs old and they're still reliable & highly utilitarian. Kim is a retired Master Sgt. Green Beret and a Field Editor for a knife magazine. His pricing is very reasonable, too.

NDGuy

WKR
just a FYI when shopping around for this kind of work. Anyone that can promise to make you something inside of 4-6 months is likely not worth the money. The skills required to make a functional peice of art take years to hone and the guys that are good will have extremely long lead times. just my experience
Not true, plenty have a sub year turnaround.

NDGuy

WKR
If you want a handmade knife that has the finest fit and finish, contact Rick Menefee.......the best your money can buy!
Not huge on him. Tried getting ahold of him several times and MIA. That and a lot of his profiles aren’t attractive to me.

OP
Kindo

Kindo

WKR
Hey everyone, thanks for the continued input. Been busy hunting so I forget to check in sometimes. Unfortunately, I'm striking out in even getting someone to call me back or return an email. I'm still quite fond of the Charles May design/look as its a bit more "traditional". Thanks again and keep them coming!

NDGuy

WKR
I'm still quite fond of the Charles May design/look as its a bit more "traditional". Thanks again and keep them coming!
Check VCM custom knives. He gets charlie's stuff pretty frequently.

OP
Kindo

Kindo

WKR
Check VCM custom knives. He gets charlie's stuff pretty frequently.
Funny, I literally just found his website about 5 min ago. His website is kind of funky and I thought it seemed a bit "scammy" so I was hesitant but I'll reach out to him or Charlie himself.

NDGuy

WKR
Funny, I literally just found his website about 5 min ago. His website is kind of funky and I thought it seemed a bit "scammy" so I was hesitant but I'll reach out to him or Charlie himself.
It’s wonky but he’s legit. Has a FB group too

Moose10

FNG
Anyone here heard of Rafter P custom knives? I found them on Instagram and like the looks of the knives but couldn’t find any reviews.

IdahoElk

WKR
No sure what you're looking for but I make a few different styles. Here are a few.

tVBbmpu.jpg

ZXrZgfT.jpg

8qf3wZw.jpg

kravguy

WKR

I've purchased quite a few knives from Vince over the years. Always treated me well.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've been very happy with my Charles May Bird & Trout II (LB long blade)- it ticked all the boxes for what I want in a knife to bone meat in the field- 8" overall, 4" blade, thin profile, SV30 steel and orange G10 scales

toOD1s6.jpg

He has several styles, but this one suited my needs perfectly

OP
Kindo

Kindo

WKR
I've been very happy with my Charles May Bird & Trout II (LB long blade)- it ticked all the boxes for what I want in a knife to bone meat in the field- 8" overall, 4" blade, thin profile, SV30 steel and orange G10 scales

toOD1s6.jpg

He has several styles, but this one suited my needs perfectly
Good call on the orange handle! I got one from him two years ago and it's been my go-to. He puts out some dandy knives. I think I need to add a B&T to my collection as well! Thanks for the recommendation!

Lfkfam

FNG

James builds amazing fixed blades. Many of which are Loveless patterns. Affordable and ready to work.