Looking for a gun- Need some input

patton-7

FNG
I have a browning x-bolt long range hunter in a 300 win mag with a nightforce nx8 scope on it. I like this set up because the glass is really good and it doesn't have much more than recoil than a 6.5 creedmor

OP
Bear Lake Hunter
I have a browning x-bolt long range hunter in a 300 win mag with a nightforce nx8 scope on it. I like this set up because the glass is really good and it doesn't have much more than recoil than a 6.5 creedmor
That’s good to know. I’m e is not the long range model but they are very close in description. Good to hear about the recoil.

OP
Bear Lake Hunter
patton: That is great advice. I have spent my life not wearing hearing protection in the field. I will be buying hearing protection soon, protection that I can use in the field.

On a side note, looks like my new rifle will arrive on Thursday. Looking forward to it. My scope is still on order but I am hoping to hear something soon.

patton-7

FNG
patton: That is great advice. I have spent my life not wearing hearing protection in the field. I will be buying hearing protection soon, protection that I can use in the field.

On a side note, looks like my new rifle will arrive on Thursday. Looking forward to it. My scope is still on order but I am hoping to hear something soon.
What scope did you decide to go with?

OP
Bear Lake Hunter
I went with a Leupold firedot 3-15-44

I realize I am giving up a bit by not going with a larger objective lens but I really think I will like this set up and
it should do well with the gun.

Ember is now available and will ship as soon as May. I purchased a .300 Ember and paired it with a 5HD Firedot 3-15.

jstraus34

FNG
Looks like its already on back order. Congrat's on the gun! I like my Browning but would have ordered this if it would have been available.
Have you had a chance to shoot it yet? Love to get a range report on the mountain pro as I'm contemplating upgrading one of my hells canyons for one.

OP
Bear Lake Hunter
I have shot it. Having said that, I have not spent a lot of time at the range but so far I am really liking it and am glad that I went with this model. Very minimal recoil. I’m only shooting factory ammo but I’m shooting Nosler Partitions and they are grouping well (admittedly, I am not the greatest bench shooter). I am going to also try some federal accubonds.

If I was to buy again, I would buy the exact setup. I think it’s a great value for a “semi custom” factory gun.

jstraus34

FNG
That's great to hear. I love my xbolts Speed HCs and this one takes it a step further as well as being a tad lighter. Seems they have improved the trigger, though I never had an issue with the Speed triggers... was able to get them all to right about 3 pds.

jstraus34

FNG
Have you tried to adjust it? Its pretty easy to do but I know on the Speed, its a balance between backing the set screw almost all of the way out, almost to the point where its just hanging on by a thread and then using loctite or nail polish to keep it in place.