Looking for a New 7mm to Shoot

Harvey_NW

WKR
I think I am going to settle on the .280 AI. I wonder if .280 AI is capable of pushing a Berger 180gr Hybrid Target, or a 183gr SMK to 2900fps~ with a 28-30" barrel. I do not know if I am asking too much/if that is too HOT for the .280 AI. I am really planning on running 180-185gr bullets to 2900fps~, and 190gr hybrid targets at 2800fps~. What do you think? Is that asking to much for the .280 AI? Or should I be looking for a different cartridge?
I doubt you could do it safely, or without torching primer pockets in a couple firings. I'm over book max on my 280ai right now and I'm only pushing a 162 @ 2840fps in a 24" tube. Maybe if you fill it with one of the volatile unicorn powders, but I still don't think you'd get there safely with a 180-190.

I know with 7 SAUM is possible and fairly easy to push a 183gr SMK to 2950fps~, but you have to mess around with the seating depth (longer is better). I've seen a few youtubers pushing the COAL to 3.06, running a 183gr SMK to around 2950fps~ with about 64.4-64.6gr of H1000 with what looks like a 26-28" barrel.

What are your thoughts? I also may experiment with seating depths before purchasing a barrel, so I can have my soon to be ordered barrel tailored to my desired COAL.
7 SAUM components have been unobtanium for about 4 years now. Remember that velocity is a byproduct of pressure, these youtubers getting magical velocities 150fps faster than manufacturer test data are flirting with disaster. With what you're trying to achieve, I agree with the above comment, just wait for 7 PRC. It is designed to do everything you want, safely.

OP
B

BLCT

FNG
I doubt you could do it safely, or without torching primer pockets in a couple firings. I'm over book max on my 280ai right now and I'm only pushing a 162 @ 2840fps in a 24" tube. Maybe if you fill it with one of the volatile unicorn powders, but I still don't think you'd get there safely with a 180-190.

7 SAUM components have been unobtanium for about 4 years now. Remember that velocity is a byproduct of pressure, these youtubers getting magical velocities 150fps faster than manufacturer test data are flirting with disaster. With what you're trying to achieve, I agree with the above comment, just wait for 7 PRC. It is designed to do everything you want, safely.
7 PRC it is, lets see how it ends up. If it ends up as a disappointment I might just look at 7mm-300 WM. There's just too much stuff that is up in the water right now for the 7 PRC, once lapua starts making brass for it that just might make me switch over.

I'm all over the place right now, I'll be watching that 7 PRC closely like a hawk.

OP
B

BLCT

FNG
I think the .280AI is a good choice. How come you want to push heavies it so hard? There is nothing wrong with velocity, but you may be better suited to just start from scratch with a 7PRC.
Another reason why I'm looking for something that can push a 180gr bullets at about 2900fps is that I want it to cut through winds. I've experimented with 6.5 CM reloads with a 127gr Barnes OTM bullets, and for area where I do my LR shooting (mountain areas) it seems to just get taken away by the winds. I am always holding another 3 MOA left or right depending on the wind speed.

As soon as I switched over to 150gr SMK, it was def easier. I notice that the bullet does in fact drop faster, but it was less affect by winds.

Theres just too many variables, could be my barrel burn-out causing my rounds to lose velocities. But as soon as I started experimenting with 150ge SMK, I was RAILING a 24x24 plate that's 563yrd away.

However I cannot say its 100% the bullet weight, but I think it is a good guesstimate.

Last edited:
OP
B

BLCT

FNG
What you described sounds like a 7 PRC
If I actually go 7 PRC, I'll definitely make a post about it. I want to see how far I can experiment with seating depths.

But for now, until Laupa makes brass for them I'll be watching closely to other people's results.

OP
B

BLCT

FNG
I just picked up 200 pieces of 7 saum brass and see it available on classifieds weekly especially on long range hunting and shooting forums. You can also get on UM backorder and lock it in. ADG produces a run every 6 months. If you lock in brass now you will probably have it before your rifle is done.
Thanks for this information, I'm not in a rush for purchase brass but that is curial information. Knowing that ADG produces brass every 6 months is amazing.

Mag_7s

WKR
Another reason why I'm looking for something that can push a 180gr bullets at about 2900fps is that I want it to cut through winds. I've experimented with 6.5 CM reloads with a 127gr Barnes OTM bullets, and for area where I do my LR shooting (mountain areas) it seems to just get taken away by the winds. I am always holding another 3 MOA left or right depending on the wind speed.

As soon as I switched over to 150gr SMK, it was def easier. I notice that the bullet does in fact drop faster, but it was less affect by winds.

Theres just too many variables, could be my barrel burn-out causing my rounds to lose velocities. But as soon as I started experimenting with 150ge SMK, I was RAILING a 24x24 plate that's 563yrd away.

However I cannot say its 100% the bullet weight, but I think it is a good guesstimate.
I think you'll be happy with the .280AI, even if it's just on the north end of 2800s. If ya really want to push the heavies with speed, the 7prc will be your answer (in a a whole new rifle). Peterson, and ADG will be making brass for that cartridge.

I thought a 280AI was within a couple grains h20 capacity of SAUM? In that case I would think 2900 fps with a 180 Berger is about where I’d expect to get with 28-30” barrels. Getting past 2800 has been no issue for 22” saums with h1000.

I wouldn’t fixate on 2900 as if it would magically buck the wind way better than 2850 though.

SloppyJ

WKR
I wanted a 7mm too and landed on the 280AI. Seems to be perfect for my needs and I'd challenge you to really see if the extra recoil and availability of components for the 7PRC is worth it to you. We have somewhat different criteria as I wanted something that was fun to take to the range and that I could get away with a shorter barrel on to suppress it.

The 7SAUM might have been a better option for me but I ended up with a 22" 280AI and as soon as I can get my rail in to measure the ring height for this oddly proportioned NX8 I picked up I can get to load development. Planning on 160gr accubonds and hoping to get around 2900ish with some RL23.

I attended an EXTREMELY large gun show this weekend and only ran into 1 rifle in 7PRC and absolutely no brass. I was on the lookout because I was going to pick one up and do the pepsi challenge between it and my 280AI.

OP
B

BLCT

FNG
I wanted a 7mm too and landed on the 280AI. Seems to be perfect for my needs and I'd challenge you to really see if the extra recoil and availability of components for the 7PRC is worth it to you. We have somewhat different criteria as I wanted something that was fun to take to the range and that I could get away with a shorter barrel on to suppress it.

The 7SAUM might have been a better option for me but I ended up with a 22" 280AI and as soon as I can get my rail in to measure the ring height for this oddly proportioned NX8 I picked up I can get to load development. Planning on 160gr accubonds and hoping to get around 2900ish with some RL23.

I attended an EXTREMELY large gun show this weekend and only ran into 1 rifle in 7PRC and absolutely no brass. I was on the lookout because I was going to pick one up and do the pepsi challenge between it and my 280AI.
Yeah I am closely eyeing the 7mm PRC, but 7 SAUM is still fresh on my mind.

HuntnPack

WKR
I’d recommend a 7SAUM.
I’m currently building one . Brass can be found with a little work. ADG has a list of dealers, keep tabs on production date for the brass. Contact every one on that dealer list and get on their waiting list, or call em when it hits the market.
Brass also shows up on a couple forums.
Also place want to buy adds on forums.
Wasn’t too hard to get all the reloading supplies to support the SAUM.

Good luck.

johnnyred

FNG
Classified Approved
I'm jumping on the 7PRC bandwagon. The one challenge I'm having at the moment is that the round is so new that there's no quality brass yet and not much load data. I'm still waiting on my stock to get built so I at least will have a little time to wait for these things before I start load development.

Jhaury7

Lil-Rokslider
If you’re gonna shoot 175-180s…7 sherman short. If you wanna shoot 190-195s…28 sherman mag.

Bench_Talk

Lil-Rokslider
If anyone is interested I have a brand new Carbon Six 284Win Howa 1500 Prefit I’m selling.

Barrel is (Howage nut style) 24” Sendero contour, 1-8.5” twist rate, and threaded muzzle 5/8x24

I own a 280AI custom. It wears a 26in proof 1-8tw. I have not been able to push the heavy 175-180 past 2840 safely. You can do it if you stand on it hard but i fear it is extremely high pressure. 280AI is a great round but with heavy bullets don’t expect 2900+fps. Some claim they can do it. But i have not tried every powder but RL26 (not temp stable enough for me) for where i hunt.

I am currently building a 7PRC…..

wabash503

FNG
3) 7mm-6.5 PRC
- Easy to find 6.5 PRC brass (I'm located in Canada, seems to be easy enough to resize using a resizing mandrel. Feel free to educate me on this)
- Very skeptical on the performance?
- Not a single clue how dies work on these

Did you end up going with the 7mm-6.5 PRC? Just curious. Thanks!

Once my 300win mag barrel gives up I’m going to rebarrel to a 7mm practical. I’ve already got brass and petersons brass is pretty easy to come by. 90 bucks for 100 rounds isn’t bad. And it’s an easy form to get the 300 brass ready. I’ll be running an 8tw and looking at the 193/195gr bullets.

Vern400

WKR
You picked the perfect caliber to get bogged down with. There is so much overlap in the specifications of 7mm cartridges! You could stair step your way from 7-08 to 7 STW taking little tiny baby steps. Even two those steps probably doesn't matter ballistically.

I guess the real question is which ones should continue to exist. If you pick one that's fading out, or one that doesn't take off strong you could end up with something obscure like a 5 mm Remington.

It sounds like you really shoot. Anything burning 60 grains or more is probably going to chew through barrels pretty quick for that extra hundred fps.

Go for the gold and get a 7 mm prc-w?
Go for the fun shooter 280 AI?
Choices choices!