Looking for a new vehicle

Jon Boy

WKR
I'm +1 for small trucks for hunting. The Tacoma looks good and they don't make Rangers anymore. They can really get into some tight places and something else is they can get into small parking spots. I've had both large and small trucks and I'm using a small Ranger now and will never have another big pickup unless I pickup the boat habit again. Unless you need to tow heavy things or put kids in the cab I don't see a need.

+1. One of my buddies has a tacoma, another has a ranger and I have a dodge dakota. We all beat the hell out of our trucks on forest roads year round and they hold up real well. I like mine more because it has more room but they're all solid trucks. No need for a full size or diesel if your not going to be towing much. Save yourself some cash and buy a slightly used truck with low miles for cheap too.

Lukem

WKR
I have a 01 Tundra and love it. But my new hunting vehicle is a '93 Subaru Legacy Sedan that gets 34 mpg that I paid $100 for. Enough space to haul 2 deer and all my gear easily. Might try an elk this fall.

My only complaint with the newer Tacoma is that they are getting kinda "plasticky" my brother and hunting buddy both have 2010s and they have broke some stuff like bumpers, mirrors, mud flaps etc. The older ones are bulletproof and off roading machines. And on the newest body style it's hard to see over the hood when your in the real bad stuff IMO.

+1

The driver position in the new Tacomas is not good for off-roading. My buddy has one and you cannot see the end of the hood from the cab. My '03 Tacoma was a better truck.

T43

Lil-Rokslider
If you don't plan to tow a lot a diesel is a huge unnecessary expense. I ran a diesel for years an the new ones don't make up for the additional costs without a trailer in tow 70+% of the time. I would be leery of the new 8 speed Ram, the eco boos has been proven so far and I have experience with 2 that are good trucks. If you don't need a full size the Toyotas and even the new Nissan Frontiers would get my attention.

Shrek

WKR
+1. One of my buddies has a tacoma, another has a ranger and I have a dodge dakota. We all beat the hell out of our trucks on forest roads year round and they hold up real well. I like mine more because it has more room but they're all solid trucks. No need for a full size or diesel if your not going to be towing much. Save yourself some cash and buy a slightly used truck with low miles for cheap too.
I argree with an older small truck to hunt out of. If I had a new truck I was still paying for there is no way I would take it where I will take my '99 ranger. My ranger will slide down planted pine rows and fire lanes. When I put dents in it I just adds reminders of good times instead of crying about the value loss. Something to think about is buying a nice car for every day and an older small truck to hunt and play in the woods with. An older small truck frees you up to do and go where you want with no worries. Instead of $38000 for a new 4x4 f 150 how about $30000 for a nice car and $5000 for an older small pickup. For $4000 I can find a pretty good 4x4 ranger that will go just about anywhere I want to go.

tstowater

WKR
Classified Approved
I love my Suburban. Only drawback is where to put dead critters when you don't want them inside. Ton of room to put stuff. Fuel economy not the best, but that isn't why I wanted one.

I've been in too many of the Toyotas to not respect them. +101 on them being bulletproof and pretty darn good fuel economy. Don't think they will pull much, but have the amazing ability to get around and stand up.

bowuntr

WKR
1985 Toyota 4x4 p/u with a 4 cylinder. Great gas mileage and gets me wherever I want to go.... Ed F

Attachments

• coyote 12-11.jpg
    coyote 12-11.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 69
Toyota tacoma. Can't beat them. Sorry they aren't made in USA but they are maintence free and last forever. We use Ford diesel trucks for work and constantly have problems with them breaking down.

Last edited:
The only way a diesel is better than a gas PU is if you are towing a lot. (I have owned both) Despite what some are saying the initial cost is a lot more, maintenance is considerably more and sorry I don't trust some fo the millage numbers i am reading on here.

As to you question I can't speak to the ford I haven't driven one. I have the 4 door 5.7 hemi PU and really like it.

+1 on the 85 Toyota,those things are dead simple and nearly bomb proof ?I've got one that my son is driving right now and have been thinking about looking for another to restore and drive every day
Tim

Mckinnon

WKR
1985 Toyota 4x4 p/u with a 4 cylinder. Great gas mileage and gets me wherever I want to go.... Ed F
I have a 91 Toyota 4x4 that has yet to let me down, like Bowuntr said, good mileage and once you lock the hubs you are good to go in some really nasty stuff.

krummholz

FNG
Depends on if you want a truck or SUV. I have a 92 4Runner, 04 4Runner(wife's) and a 04 Double cab Tacoma. I'm pretty sure Tacomas have been built in the US for a while(maybe not all though recently?), 4runners are still built in Japan. Both are very solid vehicles, but I would lean towards a 4runner for my use. The 4runner is one of the last few truck based(actually has a frame) SUVs being made and I would say is even more capable in the mountains than the Tacoma(with the locker option). With my style of hunting, everything comes out quartered or boned and goes straight into a cooler so it is nice to have everything secured inside an SUV instead of worrying about stuff being stolen out of the bed of a pickup. I have never been stranded on a mountain somewhere due to a vehicle breaking down and have been in some pretty rough places throughout CO and NM. I'm sure there are plenty of other good options out there, but I have a hard time trying anything else after my experiences.

Juan_ID

WKR
I have a 91 Toyota 4x4 that has yet to let me down, like Bowuntr said, good mileage and once you lock the hubs you are good to go in some really nasty stuff.
X3 on the old Toyota rigs, got a 92 4runner with 225,000+ miles and she keeps on going. I am a Chevy guy buy when it comes time for a new vehicle I will definately be considering a newer Tacoma. Also all the guys that recommend diesel trucks are they really worth it? Don't take into account the initial cost, maintenance costs and towing capacity, just the fuel. They get better mileage but the fuel is $1.00+ more a gallon than gas, I am not real smart but I can't see you coming out on top just cuz they might get maybe 2-3 miles more per gallon... Either way I'd like to buy a Duramax someday but a Silverado 1500 or Tacoma will more than do for me! :)

Chuffness

FNG
Tacoma. I've opted for the older quad cab. 04... I bought it specifically for hunting. Does awesome offload. I did the computer wire mod and now I have a true rear locker. I also have a cummins but it stays in the driveway when I go on hunting trips. (Unless I'm gonna go a few states away) the cummins sucks off road and I refuse to take it offroad anymore.

Taco3.jpg

I have owned a chevy 2500 and dodge power wagon. Now runnning a 2011 Toyota tacoma. Very pleased with the taco so far. Good truck and fairly agile offroad. If I was to go back to a full size truck I would probably opt for the Chevy again.

Lawnboi

WKR
I just picked up an FJ cruiser, the other option was a Tacoma but I chose the SUV over a truck as I never tow anything and don't have a real reason for a bed.

Very happy with my decision so far, and I cant wait to get it off road this spring

Solitude

WKR
Lawnboi
What are your thoughts when you have an elk down? Can you fit 1-2 large coolers in the back, maybe seats fold down? Or maybe a hitch extender? I have a '67, but always take my truck on the long trips due to needing room for game.

Lawnboi

WKR
Lawnboi
What are your thoughts when you have an elk down? Can you fit 1-2 large coolers in the back, maybe seats fold down? Or maybe a hitch extender? I have a '67, but always take my truck on the long trips due to needing room for game.

Its got a hell of a lot of room in it with the back seats down. More than enough for a few big coolers and gear. Now if I were taking 3-4 people in the vehicle it wouldn't work well, but with 1-2 people I see no way ill have a problem.

With the seats up I can fit 1 large coolers in it with some room to spare.

Mines also a 2012 so its probably a little different!

Lukem

WKR
I had an '86. It spent too many years as a ranch truck in North Dakota before I owned it. It was rough. Your's looks good. Very much bomb proof.

Shrek

WKR
Boy ! The internet police could come and get us all for thread hijacking ! Sodak asked about full sized gas pickups and we all went on about super duty diesels and small pickups. Lol ! Sodak , what are your thoughts now ?