Looking for a new boot : New-ish PA Hunter

caddis75

Lil-Rokslider
Hey all,

Saying hi, from SE PA. I'm looking for a solid hiking/ hunting boot that I can use for Spring Turkey, Pheasant, and Early Deer. I read about the 4 boot system by Steve Rinella and I guess this request would fit the second boot: the backpacking/ hiking/ hunting boot. The land I hunt is mostly in or around Bald Eagle State Forest, which is wooded, lots of steep, but small mountains and valleys. I am willing to pay $300 or less, if I can use it across multiple disciplines. I would prefer closer to $200, as I am saving up for better optics.

In my research, I've come across a few classes (by price) of boots that seem ok so far:
Class 1: Crispi (I like the Nevada and Idaho)
Class 2: Danner Pronghorn or Irish Setter Elk Tracker
Class 3: UA Bozeman Speed Freak

Are there any of these you would recommend over the other and is there any I am missing? Kennetrek is out of my budget. I also don't like flashy boots if that helps.

Thanks,

Caddis

Michael54

WKR
I got a pair of hoffman hunters and have put over 50 miles on them since hunting season (who knows how many during hunting season) and they are still like new. Catch them on sale and they are in your price range. My second favorite boot is my meindle ultralight hunters but i wont wear them when its wet anymore(they leak finally)or when i have a heavy pack. Im in sw pa indiana county.

OP
C

caddis75

Lil-Rokslider
I got a pair of hoffman hunters and have put over 50 miles on them since hunting season (who knows how many during hunting season) and they are still like new. Catch them on sale and they are in your price range. My second favorite boot is my meindle ultralight hunters but i wont wear them when its wet anymore(they leak finally)or when i have a heavy pack. Im in sw pa indiana county.
Thank you for your help. Is this the boot? https://hoffmanboots.com/10-hoffman-hunter

Hi from SW pa.

Just my personal opinion: you are better off with a tough rugged...sometimes heavy boot. One that can be re-soled if needed. Sometimes those lightweight boots that feel like tennis shoes out of the box do not have the shock absorption needed for grueling hunts.

The elk trackers fit that and are affordable compared to many others. I have an uninsulated pair that I really like.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

wildcat33

WKR
You probably won’t find a topic folks disagree on more than boots. Well maybe optics.

Do you have an outdoors or outfitter type store near you? it’s hopeless to choose a boot based on strangers opinions. Try some on and let the boot pick you. If you must order online I’ve hadgood luck with schnees, zamberlan, lowa, asolo, and salomon to name a few.

Welcome.

I hunt NY and PA. IMO a good set of mid height hikers is a great option. Hunting brands are great but there are others to consider and they can do double duty after season. Asolo and Lowe have some good boots but i am biased toward boots with wider sizes. In early season I am a fan of My Crispi Thors and IDahoes. They are a bit spendy but worth it to me. The Thor’s have become my favorite hiking boots. I wear them for spring turkey and into November for deer. I have hiked them from the Appalachian trail to the Grand Canyon. If I had one gripe, it I that the soles rubber are a bit on the soft side so they wear on rock. I am going to try and have mine resoled but I wouldn’t hesitate to buy another pair.

I used to love danner but pronghorns have been a mixed bag. My last pair died early and I wouldn’t buy another. The only Danner boots I have been impressed with in the last decade have been a set of combat hikers I bought on eBay for $50. Apart from that, I have some old school acadias and military boots that are built like tanks but too heavy for me given some other options. I don’t have a lot of experience with UA foot wear. I have read about some issues with durability on their boots.

Check out black ovis and use the rokslide10 discount if you lean toward the Crispi boots.

PA hiker and hunter here. I'm currently breaking in a pair of Lowa Baldo's for my new Elk boots. I personally don't like a heavy or overly stiff boot for PA, but do prefer a stiffer boot for Elk hunting. That Baldo is a little too much boot for running around PA day hiking and light backpacking, but might be a do-all for you.

jdmaxwell

WKR
I owned Meindels for years, Crispi Dakota and Nevadas, Lowa gtx. Now I'm running Zamberlan 960. Great boot to look at in your range

OP
C

caddis75

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks all. You all gave me a lot to work on. Right now I am between the Crispi Thor and the ElkTracker. I want to save some money to spend more on binos.

JimGa

Lil-Rokslider
How do Crispi Thor's fit someone with moderately wide feet?