Looking for a unicorn

I’ve been searching for awhile to find a good prospect or experienced trail/pack/pleasure horse. I have a local trainer and am willing to invest some time and money into a prospect if it fits what I am looking for, or on the flip side find a good experienced level headed horse that doesn’t need much for a bit more $$$. The difficult part is it’s a sellers market it seems anymore. People want $10k for a horse that will buck you off. That being said, anyone have a lead or a horse for sale in the Pacific NW? I’m always looking on Craigslist and dream horse.com, etc. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BKehoe05

FNG
If I were you, I’d check out The Horse Bay. It’s online and the seller has to pay for the health check before listing the horse. Also being that it sounds like you are inexperienced I’d consider looking at a sport mule and not limiting yourself to just horses.

BKehoe05

FNG
There is a saying in the horse industry.

Horses can be cheap, broke or sound. You can have 2 of the 3 but you can’t have all 3.

You can buy a cheap, broke horse but it probably isn’t sound. You can buy a cheap and sound horse but it won’t be broke or you can buy one that’s broke and sound but it sure isn’t cheap.

I have a 4 yr old mare that’s well papered and ranch broke and she’ll do everything you want but she sure isn’t dude broke and I will say she’s worth far more than $10k and while she’s never bucked, she certainly could any random day she wants because she’s a horse. For something like you are looking for, in today’s market, your price honestly should be closer to $25k.

OP
deserthunter2016
I guess that’s my point, it’s hard to find the “right” horse to start out on being inexperienced in buying and only the old timers training when I was a kid of get on and you’ll figure it out. Works for keeping yourself in the saddle, doesn’t work for learning the right way to handle an animal and ride proficiently.

BKehoe05

FNG
I can probably train you a mustang that will do anything you want but it will require a solid 6 months of training. Mustangs can usually be picked up for $125. But like the one I’m finishing now, I would not sell for less than $20k and I’ve got one that is wicked broke that I won’t sell and regularly turn down $30k for. It just depends on your time frame.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I was you this summer and while there is gouging going on price wise, I found a few good horses well under $10K.

Ended up with a fully broke 4-year old registered quarter horse (registered means you know their true age), freshly shod for $5800

Used him mid August to mid October and he was everything I paid for and as nearly as well broke as any I have.

I looked seriously from May to August to find him and turned down quite a few. Had to travel in about 100 mile circle to find what I was looking for. Looked at some very green horses that were priced the same. As soon as I started to work them (catch, lunge line, ride, trailer load) very evident what they were. Buyer beware and don't feel bad about walking away from one that isn't just right.

Also, download the KSL classifieds app. They're huge and centered out of Salt Lake and have a lot of horses in the intermountain West (SE Id, N. Ut, W Wy) on there and that is cowboy country with some good horses.

Unless something's changed since August, can't imagine you have to pay $10K. Usually this time of year, prices drop. I see a guy in our classifieds selling all his horse gear as I type this. Feeding horses all winter noone is using softens the prices. Or should. Some people aren't serious about selling but hear the market is hot to they list them high. Just offer less and see what happens. You're looking for the guy who needs the money enough not be crazy high priced and always haggle some. (my guy dropped $200 and shod the horse in our deal--he was a farrier btw)

@BKehoe05 "Horses can be cheap, broke or sound. You can have 2 of the 3 but you can’t have all 3."

good advice.

OP
deserthunter2016
I was you this summer and while there is gouging going on price wise, I found a few good horses well under $10K.

Ended up with a fully broke 4-year old registered quarter horse (registered means you know their true age), freshly shod for $5800

Used him mid August to mid October and he was everything I paid for and as nearly as well broke as any I have.

I looked seriously from May to August to find him and turned down quite a few. Had to travel in about 100 mile circle to find what I was looking for. Looked at some very green horses that were priced the same. As soon as I started to work them (catch, lunge line, ride, trailer load) very evident what they were. Buyer beware and don't feel bad about walking away from one that isn't just right.

Also, download the KSL classifieds app. They're huge and centered out of Salt Lake and have a lot of horses in the intermountain West (SE Id, N. Ut, W Wy) on there and that is cowboy country with some good horses.

Unless something's changed since August, can't imagine you have to pay $10K. Usually this time of year, prices drop. I see a guy in our classifieds selling all his horse gear as I type this. Feeding horses all winter noone is using softens the prices. Or should. Some people aren't serious about selling but hear the market is hot to they list them high. Just offer less and see what happens. You're looking for the guy who needs the money enough not be crazy high priced and always haggle some. (my guy dropped $200 and shod the horse in our deal--he was a farrier btw)

@BKehoe05 "Horses can be cheap, broke or sound. You can have 2 of the 3 but you can’t have all 3."

good advice.

I’ll check it out. Thanks for the advice.

The 10-15k price point should yield you a very safe mount for what you are after. If something doesn’t feel right just like others have stated move along to the next deal. Cheaper deals can be found but you will need to be patient. It can take months to find what you are looking for that’s pretty typical.

I don’t know these brokers personally but they appear to have nice horses

Ken Mcnabb/ Diamond Mcnabb in Douglas would probably be the first person I’d call. Ken holds an auction once or twice a year and appears to have many quality horses. Probably could ask if he does private party transactions.

If your inexperienced with buying or horses in general you need to have someone help be your advocate. This is very common in the performance horse world and you will end up paying a commission to your trainer. We’ll worth it if you are working with someone that’s reputable.

OP
deserthunter2016
The 10-15k price point should yield you a very safe mount for what you are after. If something doesn’t feel right just like others have stated move along to the next deal. Cheaper deals can be found but you will need to be patient. It can take months to find what you are looking for that’s pretty typical.

I don’t know these brokers personally but they appear to have nice horses

Ken Mcnabb/ Diamond Mcnabb in Douglas would probably be the first person I’d call. Ken holds an auction once or twice a year and appears to have many quality horses. Probably could ask if he does private party transactions.

If your inexperienced with buying or horses in general you need to have someone help be your advocate. This is very common in the performance horse world and you will end up paying a commission to your trainer. We’ll worth it if you are working with someone that’s reputable.

Inexperienced in buying for sure. Have been working with a trainer the last couple years, and he is also helping me with my search and evaluating anything that I come across, whether in person if close enough or through video. So that does help in the sense of potentially not buying the wrong animal. I’m being patient, just throwing feelers out in different avenues to get advice. Thank you.

I've got one. We're planning on putting her in a sale but haven't consigned yet.
thumbnail
thumbnail
IMG_3820.jpgIMG_2887.JPG

OP
deserthunter2016
I’ve decided to go the route of buying a 2 year old gelding and have him trained. It’s the long route to get to where I want to be, but I have a very reputable trainer and I’ll learn along the way. The more I think about it the more I look forward to it. I appreciate everyone’s help.

BKehoe05

FNG
I’ve got a coming 3 yr old that’s pretty special. He’d prob fit what you are looking for

I’ve decided to go the route of buying a 2 year old gelding and have him trained. It’s the long route to get to where I want to be, but I have a very reputable trainer and I’ll learn along the way. The more I think about it the more I look forward to it. I appreciate everyone’s help.
Congrats !! I think you're really going to enjoy the process. If you've got a local trainer you can work with and grow with the horse, that's awesome. I chose the young route too, so that I don't inherit someone else's bad habits, when I got a 3 year old mule, but now I have to be sure I'm not instilling bad habits myself!

That's where the trainer comes in and at least for now, even though we've got a good start on my mule under saddle, I'm investing in regular lessons also with a great local trainer. The goal is to not just train the horse but refine my abilities and timing. So often a trainer gets a horse in great shape only to hand them off to an owner who messes it all up and can't follow through. For me, investing in lessons with a trainer for both my mule and myself are a big part of the foundation I'm working on building.

Do you have some very experienced riders/horses you can hit the trails with?

That's been a big help as my gf's mare has a great trail mind (except for sometime not watching where she's stepping), which makes for a good example when my mule's going over a bridge or through a stream for the first time.

Enjoy!

s

Last edited:
Make it fun and adopt a BLM horse. They'll pay you. Sure the horse will be wild still but if you have the time and the land it could be a fun experiment... Right??

OP
deserthunter2016
Congrats !! I think you're really going to enjoy the process. If you've got a local trainer you can work with and grow with the horse, that's awesome. I chose the young route too, so that I don't inherit someone else's bad habits, when I got a 3 year old mule, but now I have to be sure I'm not instilling bad habits myself!

That's where the trainer comes in and at least for now, even though we've got a good start on my mule under saddle, I'm investing in regular lessons also with a great local trainer. The goal is to not just train the horse but refine my abilities and timing. So often a trainer gets a horse in great shape only to hand them off to an owner who messes it all up and can't follow through. For me, investing in lessons with a trainer for both my mule and myself are a big part of the foundation I'm working on building.

Do you have some very experienced riders/horses you can hit the trails with?

That's been a big help as my gf's mare has a great trail mind (except for sometime not watching where she's stepping), which makes for a good example when my mule's going over a bridge or through a stream for the first time.

Enjoy!

s

I am committing to lessons as well with my trainer on my horse once he gets to that stage. He also has a lesson horse, but I do have an older great gelding that is a good learner. I have basic experience, but like you said I don’t want to ruin a good horse with bad habits so the training is well worth it. I’m dedicated and looking forward to it. I have good places to ride out my back door and will put miles on him. I’ve also considered packing him this hunting season and getting experience on him in the mountains. I know it’s a long road but I’m excited.