looking for beta on 7mm rem mag vs 300WM

2-Stix

WKR
Read the smaller caliber thread and look at bullet construction thread. Big calibures and monos are not great.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies folks, lots of good intel here. I couldn't find the video @Southernfried mentioned on Vortex's YT page, but I did watch the meat eater video were they tested some bullets. I'm also using this data sheet from Barnes for most of my numbers. Looking at fps instead of ft/lbs at 300y/400y, here's what I get:

150 TTSX BT
308: 2295/2111fps
7mm rem mag: 2448/2261fps
300wm: 2600/2393fps

that's only 132fps difference between the 7mm and the 300 and 150fps between the 308 and 7mm.

Here's a photo of Nosler's Etip non lead bullet in 7mm at various velocities. Looking at that I wouldn't feel comfortable with much less than the 2600fps, though I wish they showed it at 2200 and/or 2400fps too.

Seems like if velocity is the main factor and the 2000-2200fps is the floor, then either 7mm or 300 will get me there.
I am so sorry for not responding, dont know how I missed this, but I just stumbled upon it. Here is a link to the Vortex videos if you have not found it by now. Again my apologies.:

Vortex gel testing

Hornady on Impact velocity at 14:21

Hope this helps.

jeffpenland123

Lil-Rokslider
For what it’s worth. My dad has a 300 WM Tikka T3X Lite. He has taken that everywhere out of preference. On this most recent hunt he left his 300 WBY Mag Mark V in the safe. That Tikka with the 180gr Barnes ammo has rocked everything he’s shot. No animals from deer to elk have made it more than a few steps.

I’ve noticed when hunting with monos to start shooting into the shoulders. Hitting something hard seems to allow the TTSX to really mess stuff up.

I’ve also noticed the 185gr Berger Classic Hunter out of my brothers 300 WM to really mess stuff up. Basically the bullet will penetrate a few inches and then break up. It made a mess of the vitals of an elk we were going after.
yeah i would probly leave the mark five in the safe and get rid of the tikka win mag and get a weatherby vanguard in 300 weatherby mag just my opinion 300 win is plenty enough

OP
sawatch

sawatch

FNG
Wanted to circle back on this and thank folks for all the replies. After watching gun broker for ages, I just picked up a lightly used Bergara Mountain 2.0 in 300wm for a great deal. Excited about the rifle (seems like it shot well for the previous owner, so hoping it's not a lemon), only wish it had a threaded barrel. Regardless, I just bought an assortment of lead-free rounds and will head out to the range once I get it all and see how it shoots.