T3x Lite vs lightened CTR?

Igloo

FNG
Decided on a Tikka T3x in 308 as a "big" rifle, with loads built around 110 and 130gr Barnes TTSX bullets and a max range of 300 yards on big game.

But, having a heck of a time choosing between a regular T3x Lite and a CTR put in a regular Lite stock with its normal bottom/magazine.

What do you guys think? Which do you prefer and why?

There's the Roughtech too I guess.

OP
I

Igloo

FNG
Follow up question, is the fluted barrel of the Roughtech actually heavier than the CTR?

sdupontjr

WKR
I own both. My Lite is set up strictly for low light, so weight isn't my concern. It's topped with a Schmidt Bender Polar. My CTR wad put on a diet. Put it in a T3x stock, same bottom metal and mags. Also pulled off rail and use UM rings. It's topped with Trijicon Credo Hx. The CTR as it sits is about .74 lbs heavier.

I shoot 130 ttsx and 155 scenars out of both. I haven't chronograph the 130's, but the 155's with varget shoot 2860 out the Lite and 2840 out the CTR.

Lite
20200921_132519.jpg

CTR
20231102_135046.jpg

Herr is a thread a did a while back when I compared weight.

Last edited:
OP
I

Igloo

FNG
Thank you sdupontjr, your thread is part of the reason I started thinking about the "CTR on a diet" rifle haha. Appreciate it!

I know its subjective but how do you find it feels, is the weight distributeded pretty evenly you think even with a smaller scope than yours on it?

sdupontjr

WKR
I didn't care for the weight of the Arken EP5 that I had on it. I don't backpack hunt but to me it still felt way too heavy to even haul around in my woods. At the range, no prob, but not hunting. Since removing it, the rail and putting it on a diet, adding the Credo 4-16x50, if feels no different that me hauling my Browning Abolt II 7 mag around. The main reason is the shorter barrel for my type of hunting. I hunt tower or box stands and the shorter barrel sure is nice sticking it out the window. My browning had a 24" but also had the boss system which added about another 3". Trying to get 27" of barrel out a window, while being quiet is something. I think if you stick to the 20" CTR rather than 24", the weight is basically nothing.

OP
I

Igloo

FNG
Gotcha, appreciate the insight. And BTW, great job on the sponge camo on that Lite.

sdupontjr

WKR
Actually bought it from a guy on the site. 1st tikka I ever owned. Had a few shots on it, but he did the paint. Holding up very well.

Macintosh

WKR
I have both in the same caliber, both 24” barrels—mine are 6.5cm’s, but same/same. I didnt do the “full” lightening on the ctr, mine still had the rail, factory bottom metal, and a fairly good sized brake…but I was using MDT polymer 3-round mags and the same scope. My lite also had a tikka pic rail and a ctr cheek-riser. My ctr weighed almost 2lb more than my lite when rigged out that way (give or take a few oz, neither is set up same now and I dont recall exact #’s). Basically my lite was an 8.25lb rifle all-in, the ctr was just over 10 iirc.
If I were carrying the rifle in open country, glassing and getting into a supported position to shoot usually 200+ Id probably choose the CTR—the extra weigjt is really nice if its just carried slung or on a pack much of the time. Possibly same if I was looking for a factory 20” barrel threaded for a can. If I were using it as a “do-all” more traditional hunting rifle that Id be carrying at the ready, still hunting a lot and using offhand much of the time, I’d take the Lite hands-down, as it carries much nicer and puts more of the weight between your hands.