Looking for Bog Pod Death Grip Tips

Mtns2hunt

Lil-Rokslider
There seem to be tons of information on the Bog Pod Death grip but I have not found any to address my issue. Bought the Death Grip a few weeks ago and have shot off it several times. Problem is I can not get consistency. I have tightened everything up solid and comfortably. but groups look like a shotgun pattern. Once I did get a MOA group but could not repeat it. I must be doing something wrong as this has happened with two different rifles. Looking for advice. Thanks.

Pay attention to the legs. Your rifle still needs to recoil straight back. If it pushes back unevenly on just one leg it will pogo itself a bit.

I struggle with the same. My POI changes significantly from say shooting off "prop" rest and being locked down in the tripod. I have asked on several forums and some folks swear no difference while others say not the same POI. I it definitely different for me.

Interesting…I’ve never tried to use mine for shooting a group. When I first got it I took it out and shot a target with it (after verifying my rifle on the bench), center punched the bullseye and called it good.

I’ve never missed a shot on an animal with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Mtns2hunt

Mtns2hunt

Lil-Rokslider
Pay attention to the legs. Your rifle still needs to recoil straight back. If it pushes back unevenly on just one leg it will pogo itself a bit.
Thanks for the tip. I will insure the legs are stable and its pushing back on two. That should stabilize hopefully.

I have always shot moa off a bi-pod and was very disappointed in this Bog tri pod. but then like everything else will take time to iron out the bugs.

deezs

FNG
I have noticed when my nephew wanted to use one, when the clamp of the tripod was on the barrel, it shot badly, if we clamped more towards the action, the groups improved a lot. This was with a Savage 99, which are known to be sensitive to any barrel pressure affecting accuracy

OP
Mtns2hunt

Mtns2hunt

Lil-Rokslider
I think you are correct not to attach the clamp to the barrel.

I have recently read about how to stabilize the tripod by supporting the legs on YouTube as well as another poster (swavescatter).

Going to shoot this evening to test.

OP
Mtns2hunt

Mtns2hunt

Lil-Rokslider
Just an up date: still unable to get good results. Yet, on a bi pod I do really well. Really disappointed in this rig. I will find someone locally to demonstrate.

Just an up date: still unable to get good results. Yet, on a bi pod I do really well. Really disappointed in this rig. I will find someone locally to demonstrate.
Shooting off a tripod isn’t easy!

When compared to shooting off a bipod in hunting situations, I personally have to slow down my shot process a lot more. A heavy pull on trigger, pistol grip, incorrect lop doesn’t make it any easier for me.

One thing you can try is shooting from a lower position. It should be more stable similar to bipod. Then practice standing up and find out what exactly you need to focus on. If you can’t shoot well seated then practice there until you are comfortable before moving to the more unstable positions.

OP
Mtns2hunt

Mtns2hunt

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks. I'll try the lower position.

As it takes so long to set up I am beginning to feel the pod may not be the best form of stabilization for my style of hunting.

What are you trying to achieve and at what distance? You’ll likely never achieve accuracy on par with shooting prone with bags or a bench, but are you hitting within 6” circle at your max range?

How good are your groups without the tripod?

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Thanks. I'll try the lower position.

As it takes so long to set up I am beginning to feel the pod may not be the best form of stabilization for my style of hunting.
Tell me about your style of hunting? How far, what rifle/cartridge, what vital size, etc.

Tripods are a whole different beast. The right one is super simple because it is one solution you can practice/deploy for nearly every shooting position, but then the techniques are complex.

Bipods in prone are the opposite, technique is simpler, but limits you to few field conditions.

I’ll see if I can’t tailor some tips for success and identify why the clamp systems like Bog Pod introduce more wobble than other tripod systems. They are considered the least stable of the three principal types: direct attach, bag, and clamp.

Those who say they are the bees knees are biased and often have lower standards or fewer needs and some are probably in denial.

No one I show the three options ever says, the clamp is good enough…

OP
Mtns2hunt

Mtns2hunt

Lil-Rokslider
My current style of hunting is field hunting the edges: both predator and deer. I move along then sit for awhile. I should say I am hunting next to a very large thicket. Action is frequently very fast. Rifles used are 30-6, 22k hornet, 243 and 220 swift.

Range can vary from 20 yards to 425 sometimes longer. Over all I have come to the conclusion that the Bog Pod is to cumbersome and complicated unless I am just sitting somewhere. Plus accuracy is all over the place. On bi pods I can do 4 inches at 100 yards or less. I will probably give this device to a buddy that lets me hunt on his place occasionally. Just thought I would try something new.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
My current style of hunting is field hunting the edges: both predator and deer. I move along then sit for awhile. I should say I am hunting next to a very large thicket. Action is frequently very fast. Rifles used are 30-6, 22k hornet, 243 and 220 swift.

Range can vary from 20 yards to 425 sometimes longer. Over all I have come to the conclusion that the Bog Pod is to cumbersome and complicated unless I am just sitting somewhere. Plus accuracy is all over the place. On bi pods I can do 4 inches at 100 yards or less. I will probably give this device to a buddy that lets me hunt on his place occasionally. Just thought I would try something new.
Correct, fast action is not in the wheelhouse for a bog pod. It’s terrible for that.

Sitting with bipods you are 4” or less at 100?

With fast action, are you having to cover large angles right to left?

If so, a bipod or shooting sticks is typically the best answer.

If the lateral window is narrow, a tripod attached or off bags can be killer. If you have to lift and move the tripod to cover more angle then you have to go with a bag on top of the tripod.

NRL Hunter does show that fast shots inside 500 can be accomplished off a bagged tripod. It probably takes new skills and techniques to master. Stick the bag between you and the target and the shot can happen fast.

If the opportunities are too short and fleeting for that between 300 and 425, that’s a hard one to answer.

Castmaster

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve had nothing but good luck with the bog death grip, I always make sure to get it perfectly level and not over tighten it. Also I make sure to clamp it down over or right in front of where the magazine or floorplate is.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I’ve had nothing but good luck with the bog death grip, I always make sure to get it perfectly level and not over tighten it. Also I make sure to clamp it down over or right in front of where the magazine or floorplate is.
What’s your use and application?

Agross

WKR

If yer buddy doesn’t want it, I’ll be yer other buddy that does.😎

On a side note, great pic with the mountain lion. Looks like a dandy.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Whitetail hunting out of blinds or off the ground out to 400yds.
Inside blinds out to about 400-500 or so is the best application for the bog pod and clamp style tripods. No rail needed. You can put it in the blind and anyone can use it. And, you don't have to modify your rifles with rails.

And, I think you make another excellent point, which is to clamp it just in front of the mag and to secure it tightly. One of the reasons to clamp it in front of the mag or closer is that the stock generally has parallel sides, so that you can clamp it securely.

It the clamp tightens but can't grab a stock because of the shapes, sometimes you can put a piece of high density foam, just give the clamp a little more purchase and to make the connection a little "softer" so that the rifle doesn't want to squirt out at weird angles.

OP
Mtns2hunt

Mtns2hunt

Lil-Rokslider
Some good advice provided. Thank you! I have decided to hang onto the Bog Pod for awhile and attempt to straighten out my techniques. I mainly purchased the Tripod thinking it would be more stable then my bi pod. I do hunt out of blinds frequently as well as walk and sit at thicket edges. I like to hunt Bobcats a lot.

It does take time to set up which I consider a drawback when I can walk along with a bipod and be set up in seconds. So I will limit it to stationary stands. Originally I noticed many predator hunters using them to hold their rifles and thought it would be neat to have a tripod ready at a moments notice. Now I just need to get it on target.

The Mtn lion in my Avatar mentioned above weighed 160 on a cattle scale and was killed in Lander Wyoming. A large cat for sure as I am 6 feet. The Tom is entered in the Boone and Crockett books.