Looking for good cartridge and budget rifle for 14 y/o

H

HappyHuntr

Hi all, I am trying to find a good cartridge and budget rifle for my 14 y/o. He is pretty lean built and stands probably 5'7 and 130lbs. Hunts duck a lot but basically no rifle experience other than a little 22 shooting. Here are some criteria

• We live in western washington and most of our hunting will be shooting across blueberry fields for blacktail. Also possible central montana mule deer or eastern washington whitetail/mule deer. I also would like something that he could shoot a cow elk with maybe.
  • Needs to be pretty low recoil and available ammo
  • Somewhat flat shooting - good to 300 yards probably (he would never shoot game that far for a while but maybe as he gains experience)
  • 6mm+ for washington big game centerfire laws so dont give any 223 stuff as much as i love the 77 tmk thread fights
  • chambered in a rifle that is sub $450 hopefully.​
Should he get a new rifle or shoot the old crappy winchester 670 30/06 i have with an old tube scope. i've never shot it and not sure if the barrel is good or if really anything is good but maybe get my old buddy to look it over then go from their and maybe take it to the gun shop for hunting season prep.

Thanks, HH

bbell

WKR
It’s not super nice, but a savage axis in 6mm arc would fit that bill. 108 eldm and your good to go. My friend has his son shooting an Axis and it has worked well for their uses.

OP
H

HappyHuntr

It’s not super nice, but a savage axis in 6mm arc would fit that bill. 108 eldm and your good to go. My friend has his son shooting an Axis and it has worked well for their uses.
What are your thoughts on 6mm for big game. Not trying to show up your opinion but why one of the 6mm cartridges over a 6.5cm or 308. Is the recoil that significant to choose the smallest legal big game rifle in my state basically. Thanks for your help!

OP
H

HappyHuntr

I like the axis idea though. Buddy has one of those that he started his kid on in 243 when he was like 11.

bbell

WKR
The recent threads have changed my mind. I’m still mid transition though. I’ve killed a couple blacktails and a bear with 6.5 Grendel 123 eldm and was impressed with the damage. The 108eldm is only 15gr lighter and will be traveling faster and a better bc. I am putting a 6mm creedmoor barrel on a savage model 10 for spring bear this year. I would have went arc but couldn’t get good info on converting the model 10.

I hunted with a 30/06 from 12-30 years old and after using the Grendel and following the threads here I don’t really see the need to shoot something with more recoil than necessary. Hope that helps👍

OP
H

HappyHuntr

6.5cm would get my vote, but don’t discredit that old Winchester m70. Doubtful the barrel is shot out, but an upgrade in the optics department might do it some good.
Ok. What would be the best way to find out if the 670 is still in good condition. Just take to the gun shop and then outfit it the way they say i should?

OP
H

HappyHuntr

.243 win or 6mm creed.....30-06 is a lot of gun for a 14 y/o and not needed. The 6mm will be easier (and more enjoyable) for him to learn with.
Ok. What i was looking to hear. Do you think i could find a budget rifle in the 6creed? What is better 243, 6 remington or other 6mm?

Although I am a fan of the 6mm Rem, finding a rifle and also ammunition would point me towards a 243 Win. Lots of reasonable options in that cartridge.

I'm with bbell Ruger American Ranch in Grendel with Arken lh 4-16x mil......
IMG_0878.jpeg

OP
H

HappyHuntr

I'd assume good, because my local shop has 3 different loads. Haven't really looked, as I reload.
cool any other cartridges you would suggest. Maybe more available. I love the looks of that ruger though it is awesome.

NRA4LIFE

WKR
I live in W. WA as well. My local gun shop has been flush with Grendel ammo, 123 gr SSTs, 123 ELDMs and 123 Frontier (Hornady components) 123 FMJs, and others. I stocked up for my new rifle with loaded ammo as buying cases and components were about the same price.

OP
H

HappyHuntr

I live in W. WA as well. My local gun shop has been flush with Grendel ammo, 123 gr SSTs, 123 ELDMs and 123 Frontier (Hornady components) 123 FMJs, and others. I stocked up for my new rifle with loaded ammo as buying cases and components were about the same price.
Which store?