Looking for input on optic for new LR build

CaNINE

FNG
Hi folks, I just took delivery of a new rifle from Benchmark. When I originally drew up the specifications for this project and established a budget I had plans for a NF NXS 5.5-22x50 optic. Well, I went about $600 over budget on the rifle with a few upgrades (jewell trigger, wyatts box and ptg one-piece bolt) and am left with less money than I expected to put toward my optic.

I am considering two options:

1) Leave the rifle scopeless until I can save up enough money to buy the Nightforce (maybe 4 to 6 months away)
or
2) Buy a Viper PST 6-24x50 now and get to work on load development

I own three Vortex Vipers now and have good reliability and repeatability with the turret mechanics. These scopes have performed well on the mountain for me. I use these rifles regularly so opt not to remove these scopes to put one on my new gun. I've never owned a Nightforce but have had the opportunity to use them before and well, I've was just flat out impressed with the optics and how pleasant it was to get behind the scope.

I'm leaning toward option 1, as painful as it will be to leave this new rifle in the safe for months. I'm looking for some real world experience from members of the forum who have ACTUALLY USED these two scopes in the field. I already understand there is really no comparison between the NF and the Vortex in terms of optical clarity and mechanical integrity. My question is under real world hunting conditions will the NF be worth the wait? My hunting buddies are telling me to just buy the Vortex and get on with it. I think the truth is they just don't want me to have a NF because then they will see how good one is and then feel pressured to buy one too :)

Thanks in advance for your input.

Ron

I haven't owned an NF, but my Viper PST makes me want to own one. In all reality, it hasn't been a bad scope. The adjustments have been good, it's never lost zero to any degree, it is very light for a scope in that category, and the price point was great. That said, it's cheap. The rings around the base of the turrets are glued in place. I'm almost positive it has the exact same glass that's in the Crossfire (I can tell the difference between high dollar optics, but nothing between the two rifle scopes). Optical quality really is awful for a $1000 scope, and it's definitely been a setback in a couple situations. My windage turret unscrewed at one point too, I had to re-apply Loctite and thread it back in. The Vortex would get you by, but leave a lot to be desired. Here's how I see it. A scope is a huge, fundamental part of a precision rifle, not an afterthought. You've built yourself a great gun, cut no corners, and you should continue that theme with your optic. There's a great deal of time before next fall, and many years to hunt with that rifle down the road. IMO it's worth the wait. Now I'm waiting two years until I finish college to do what I should have done in the first place.
ETA: I'd borrow a scope off another rifle to do load development. If you use a 20 MOA base on the other gun, and mount it in a 0 or 10 MOA base on this gun, re-zeroing is even easier. I think the few rounds it takes to re-zero would be worth getting load development done, while still being able to save for a better optic.

Broz

WKR
Option 1 or a used nightforce

Spot on, you will be happier in the long run. There are some good buys on some NXS's used right now. And if you opted for the Gen 1 with 10 moa turrets and no zero stop it would be even less. Than upgrade later if you want a ZS.

Jeff

dotman

WKR
It sounds like your only $600 short, I'd take option #1, you'll save that up before you know it. Also checkout Red Hawk Rifles, they may still have some demos in stock.

OP
CaNINE

CaNINE

FNG
Thanks for confirming what my gut was telling me. I'll stick with option 1 and start setting aside some savings toward a NF. In the meantime I'll keep my eyes open for a used unit. What are the best sources for on-line purchase? I've been looking at OpticsPlanet and Scopelist.

Here's another viable course of action.

Spend $299 on an SWFA fixed power of your choice (available in MOA or Mils), and start enjoying the new rifle. When you get the NF, you can move that SWFA real fast for $250 or so.

I use SWFA 12X MilQuad on a couple rifles, and a 10X MilQuad on a third. They have very serviceable glass, with 43 mils (140 or so MOA) el travel, and track great.

Stefan

Lil-Rokslider
If the Nightforce is what you want, then I suggest you wait! Buy once, cry once! They are good, solid optics which is why I am running it on my BFG-50, .50 BMG rifle (NXS 5.5-22X56). I have no regrets buying it and I own a few optics of various calibers (Leupolds (MRT, M3A, LRT, ERT), S&B PMII, USO SN3 T-PAL and some lessor stuff not worth mentioning).

OP
CaNINE

CaNINE

FNG
Well I found a way to buy a Nightforce ahead of plan. I sold a Vortex PST to a buddy for $500 and applied that to a new NXS 5.5-22x50 with MOAR that I found on sale. Of course, now I'm without a scope on another rifle that was wearing the PST but I'm sending that gun in for cerakote and break installation anyhow so won't be shooting it for awhile. I'll post up some pics of my new build wearing it's new NF when I get it mounted up. Time to start loading test rounds. Thanks again for all of your advice.