Looking for personal experience with the Tikka 300 WM

MHWASH

WKR
I’m looking real hard at a Tikka 300 Win. I’ve done lots of searches and keep reading about the short mag length and slow twist. I’ve read that it will stabilize the Nosler AB 200 and the Barnes 175 LRX. These are really the only two bullets I’m interested in. For shots to 600 yards coupled with turrets I don’t think I need a real high bc bullet.

Comparing rifles in the same price range, I cannot find others that offer a faster twist barrel and longer magazine that will allow bullets to be seated to the lands. I had a Winchester Extreme Weather 300 and those handloads with the 200 AB are only .05” longer than SAAMI COL.

I’m looking for a rifle that is light weight, the bolt locks on safe, and has a barrel no longer than 24”.
I’ve owned 4 different Tikkas so I’m pretty confident in their ability to shoot good with minimal load development.

jhm2023

WKR
I've owned several T3 superlites and they all shot great. The one I had in 300 win mag often times struggled to eject spent brass. Like the others it was a shooter but the failure to eject problem meant it found a new owner rather quickly. I'm guessing the small ejection port was the culprit for this issue. It's worth mentioning that I also had one in 7mm Rem Mag that never once had this issue, granted the 7RM case is slightly shorter. I was able to seat the 180 TSX .050" off the lands which gave just over half MOA results with IMR 7828.

davsco

WKR
you prob know this, but the tikka t3's in 300 have 24 1/3" barrels, just slightly over your 24" req, sure that's close enough.

i'm looking at one (t3x) in 300wsm. the 1-11 twist doesn't seem to be a big problem vs 1-10 from what i've read. i do wish they came with or could be threaded so i could add a brake.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
you prob know this, but the tikka t3's in 300 have 24 1/3" barrels, just slightly over your 24" req, sure that's close enough.

i'm looking at one (t3x) in 300wsm. the 1-11 twist doesn't seem to be a big problem vs 1-10 from what i've read. i do wish they came with or could be threaded so i could add a brake.

Oh they can be threaded. OEM tikka 300 wsm 24.3” barrel on the right and threaded with suppressor.

p4qBSp4.jpg

HOT ROD

WKR
I have a Tikka 300 wm and my go to elk bullet is a 200 grain accubonds… It has shot every bullet from 180 to 200 that I have tried very well with H4831 or H1000.....

Attachments

• IMG_0971.jpg
    IMG_0971.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 51
My T3 lite in 300wm shoots the 200gr ABs very well. Had a brake put on, put on a B and C stock, and had LRI flute the bolt for me (a little lipstick). The way it shoots and carries in the field makes it really hard to pursue any builds, especially for what i have into it. If a man only had one elk rifle, he could do a lot worse.
...And not much better for a med weight stick.
YMMV, good luck

davsco

WKR
ok pls give me the skinny on getting these things threaded for a brake (who, where, how much, etc)? the little bit of feedback i've seen says there isn't enough meat. thanks!

Mine shoots the 200 grain eld-x really well. I am going to have to work up a load with copper bullets for here in California though. I'll probably start with the Barnes LRX stuff. My local smith is going to thread the barrel for me and I want to say he qouted me around a hundred bucks. You'll be happy with the gun I'm sure.

davsco

WKR
thanks RA. what thread pitch are you / others doing? enough shoulder for the brake to rest against, or just welding, pinning, rocksetting etc?

Matt Whaley in Coeur D'alene did mine. $175 if i remember correctly. I can shoot it easily with one hand now. Well worth the money.

OP
MHWASH

MHWASH

WKR
Just the feedback I was wanting to hear. Ill be adding a brake once I get mine.

Kraze

FNG
Sounds like you're already aware of the downsides to Tikka's in 300 WM (twists and mag length) and are willing to work around those limitations, so I say go for it. The only thing I have to add is that you don't need to thread it to run a brake. I have the Witt Machine clamp on brake on mine and it works great. Doesn't look as clean as a brake that's threaded on, but it was definitely a lot cheaper.

16Bore

WKR
Don't worry about BC in regards to drop....that's just physics.

Drift is another game.