300 win mag options

Pulleye16

FNG
Hey all-

Excited to join a good group of hunters. I’m a mid west guy looking for a 300 win mag for some elk hunts out west.

I LOVE tikka t3’s but I’ve also heard it’s not fun to shoot in the 300 win mag.

In all seriousness, I’m not looking to break the bank here as I’ll Probably only get a half dozen ek hunts in…bamn lottos! Lol

I have a really nice scope already, so looking to drop “around” a grand on the rifle.

Looking for the obvious:
Light weight
Accurate to 500-600 yards
Threaded barrel as I WANT a muzzle brake

In your opinion, what’s a good 300 min mag that I could put or Gomes with a muzzle brake?

Thanks!

Imo, a 300 win mag is way more horsepower than you need for 600 yards shots. With rangefinders, high bc bullets, and reliable scopes, 6.5 creed will do 600 yards plus on elk, and you won't need a brake to kill your hearing.

A Browning X-bolt fits in that 1k range. They are great shooters right out of the box. Tikka is a great choice too, but if you don’t like recoil, you’ll want a good brake. I have a T3x in 300wsm and it was unpleasant to shoot until I put a brake on it.

Durran87

Lil-Rokslider

I just got this and I’m super happy with it. Shoots sub-Moa and recoil isn’t bad.

Get something inherently accurate. My son just killed a mule deer at 600ish yards with a 223 with 77gr TMKs.

6.5 Creedmoor will kill elk all day long out to 700 yds with factory ammo that's more available, cheaper, consistent and easier to shoot accurately.

300 Win Mag is a dying cartridge for good reason.

OP
P

Pulleye16

FNG
A Browning X-bolt fits in that 1k range. They are great shooters right out of the box. Tikka is a great choice too, but if you don’t like recoil, you’ll want a good brake. I have a T3x in 300wsm and it was unpleasant to shoot until I put a brake on it.
That’s what I’ve heard…so, you were able to put a brake on a tikka? Was hoping not to include a smith.

Welcome.

I built up a tikka in 300 WM. I wouldn’t say it is fun to shoot but it ain’t bad. It is a lot better to carry around than a +12# log of a precision gun. Agree with others that you could go with a lot less crack But I am glad I did it. a stainless t3x in 300 or 3006 would be a hell of an answer to your question.

Fwiw A guide I spoke to that has been in the elk business for 30 years shoots a 308. His kid uses a 6mm.

Forgot links in my earlier post

axeforce6

WKR
300wm is a great choice for elk. What is your budget for a rifle? If you load your own, the 3.4” mag of a tikka will be a problem.

eric1115

WKR
No. I'm just a man.
Ok, you're right. All the guys that actually track group sizes and hit rates and can correlate recoil levels with actual performance over thousands of rounds are full of shit (or are just not manly men).

Oregon

WKR
Ok, you're right. All the guys that actually track group sizes and hit rates and can correlate recoil levels with actual performance over thousands of rounds are full of shit (or are just not manly men).
Ok. Awesome. You're obviously correct because you have statistics. I'm 55 years old and have shot the same 338 since I was 22. I truly don't notice it.

Duh

WKR
I got a second vote for the Seekins in 300 win mag. I really don’t think it’s unpleasant to shoot at all. Handloads and factory ammo shoots well in mine. Got a suppressor on it now and don’t mind shooting it all day.

Yeah it’s not the recoil of the 223, 6mm, or 6.5 etc. which I shoot the hell out of too. I just find myself grabbing the Seekins these past couple years because I feel so confident with it. I really like my 6.5 creed too and will mix it up once in a while but I’m shooting the Seekins the majority of time. I did recently become a convert to a tikka in 22-250 so I’ll likely be singing its praises soon enough haha.

I use a Browning x-bolt hells canyon long range in .300 win mag. Not the lightest and the barrel length is longer than I was used to but it's been a very effective elk and deer rifle so far. I don't get into long range shooting but the rifle is capable of that as well. It came with a threaded muzzle brake and thread protector if you don't want to use it. It kicks lighter than my old Tikka synthetic in .270. You should be able to find one in your price range.