Looking for some new recipes

Tucky

FNG
I have a TIKKA TX3 8" twist. Usually I load a Hornady 140g ELDM with 40.6gr of IMR 4350, Lapua brass and Winchester primer. Mostly I would like to change the powder bullet combo because my recipe is hard to find locally sometimes and I hope to out shoot my brother at 600 yrds. Also I have a AR 223 DPMS 8" twist. Usually 69g Sierra BTHP, 23.5gr Magic Fairy dust (IMR 8208 XBR) Winchester primer. I guess the Fairys are extinct. I found a box of 500 Berger 140g Hybrid Target, which just looks like BTHP to me. For the Remington 223 I would like to find a new powder that is temperature stable and also accurate. Is there anything out there that compares to the 8208XBR. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Imo for the 223 with 69-77 grain bullets varget is my choice. It's very temp stable. My tikka 1-8 shoots bugholes with the 75 amax and varget. Unfortunately they are discontinued. So I tried the 75 eldm. I tried everything, and couldn't get them to group. Now when it warms up I'm going to try 77 SMK bullet over varget.

Look up on YouTube "Jonny's reloading bench mk262 cloning" he shoots a bunch of different powders with the 77 grain bullets. There are 8 videos I think.

Last edited:
OP
T

Tucky

FNG
Imo for the 223 with 69-77 grain bullets varget is my choice. It's very temp stable. My tikka 1-8 shoots bugholes with the 75 amax and varget. Unfortunately they are discontinued. So I tried the 75 eldm. I tried everything, and couldn't get them to group. Now when it warms up I'm going to try 77 SMK bullet over varget.

Look up on YouTube "Jonny's reloading bench mk262 cloning" he shoots a bunch of different powders with the 77 grain bullets. There are 8 videos I think.
Thanxs. I have a couple loads worked up with Varget, one is sierra 69 BTHP and nosler 69 BTHP. When the wind and snow quites I will give them a try. I have been seeing Varget on the shelf latley.

Mulyhuntr

WKR
H4350 or RL16 with 147s in the creedmoor. Both my tikkas love that bullet with either powder in the 41-41.5gr range.

OP
T

Tucky

FNG
I could not any H4350 and RL 16 was $75 a pound all they had was 1, I did find some 6.5 StaBALL. Also I read somewhere people are using small rifle magnum primers for the 6.5. The Lapua has a small flash hole and I have not had any accuracy problems with regular small rifle primers. I did find a box of 1k magnums today. Never used these before. How does this effect pressure and powders min and max to work up a load?

logem

FNG
Look at AR-Comp for your .223. Very temperature stable, and should produce higher velocity than Varget with similar accuracy. I just bought 8-lb so I know it's available.

Mulyhuntr

WKR
I could not any H4350 and RL 16 was $75 a pound all they had was 1, I did find some 6.5 StaBALL. Also I read somewhere people are using small rifle magnum primers for the 6.5. The Lapua has a small flash hole and I have not had any accuracy problems with regular small rifle primers. I did find a box of 1k magnums today. Never used these before. How does this effect pressure and powders min and max to work up a load?
H4350 is readily available online.