Looking for the best rifle cover

DLOsoft

FNG
I'm thinking about buying a rifle cover to protedct my gun when I'm out in the field. I've noticed that Solohntr make a couple of different models and Muley Freak also sells one. I was going to buy the lightweight Solohntr one, but it seems to always be out of stock. The other Solohntr rifle cover appears to be 10 ounces from what I can see versus 6.5 ounces for the Muley Freak rifle cover, so that makes me think the Muley Freak one might be my best bet.

Anyone have any other recommendations that I might not know about? Also, anyone know if the lightweight Solohntr rifle cover might be coming back in stock before hunting season?

wseidel

WKR
I have used a SoloHntr for a number of years and it does what it is supposed to do - protect your rifle/scope from rain, snow and dings. In fact, I like it so much I bought a second one this spring when they had a 20% off sale (Rugged Rifle Cover - not the lightweight). One of the best uses is for pre-dawn hikes into my deer stands where I know my rifle and scope are well protected. Possibly the best protection you'll find for those wet, sloppy snow days, too. I'm not familiar with the Muley Freak version but you'll be glad you have the protection when conditions warrant. Hope this helps...

I would not want a cover on my rifle while stomping around in grizzly country in the twilight.

farmer14

Lil-Rokslider
I have what one could call the “heavyweight” SOLOHNTR and it’s legit. It’s bomb proof and protects well. I would have doubts as to whether you actually noticed the extra 3.5 oz but that’s my opinion.

willidru

WKR
No experience with covers that you carry in the field, just use a scope cover and sometimes electrical tape on my brake. But I have seen people us a couple other than you listed. Again I haven’t used just some more options for you

Gunslicker and StHealthy Hunter Cover

arri1942

Lil-Rokslider
Caldwell makes a cover that is similar to the solo hunter style. It has worked really well for me and fits both my 26 nosler and 300 win mag that both have 26" barrels.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Dobermann

WKR
I've been looking around for options too, and just found a recommendation at the Hide for Rock Solid Shooting Solutions.

I'd tried the Rapid Rifle Cover and even one from Solo Hntr (looks similar to design and materials of the Low Vis Gear option above). Wanted a bit more wrap-around protection for bad conditions. Just got the Cole-Tac, and it's well-made, not overbuilt like the TAB Gear, but is still 183 g / 6.5 oz.

With all of the advances in Sil-Nylon over the years, I was sure there must be a lighter weight option out there - the Rock Solid Shooting Solutions looks like it could fit the bill. Here's the link for others who want to check it out: https://rocksolidshooting.com/product-category/rifle/

1104171550-e1525631928960.jpg

Dobermann

WKR
For anyone finding this thread in future - the website listed above is currently no longer in service, and currently returns a safety warning in some browsers.

Anyone know if Rock Solid Shooting Solutions are still operating? Their cover looked great, but I didn't pull the trigger before the site went down ...

I have the rugged Solohntr one. It’s been excellent. I saw Kuiu recently released one as well but have not seen it in person.

Yoder

WKR
I use a Boca Shield on my Weatherby. The gun is almost too pretty to hunt with so I bought a cover. I like it. It's not as cold on your hands.

hunterjmj

WKR
I keep my gun in a soft case while driving but seems overkill while hunting. I do have scope caps for snowy condition to keep snow off my scope. It seems possible to have missed opportunity hassling with a rifle case while in the field.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I keep my gun in a soft case while driving but seems overkill while hunting. I do have scope caps for snowy condition to keep snow off my scope. It seems possible to have missed opportunity hassling with a rifle case while in the field.
Those covers pop off quicker than some scope covers. It's a non issue

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I have the solo hunter (non heavyweight version). Had it on my gun for 4 days in Alaska. Wife had one on her gun as well. Zero issues. Seems very durable. And water resistant. For extra protection I sprayed both of them with a couple light coating of scotch guard.

I’m impressed enough that they are on sale right now and I bought 3 more as gifts for a couple friends I’m hunting with in 2 weeks during Colorado third rifle elk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These guys make a decent product. Picked up one last year and have no issues with it. Also avoids having to fund MuleyFreak

jdinville3

Lil-Rokslider
Solo hunter ones are legit, live mine! Also saw a few weeks ago Kuiu came out with a similar one.