Looking to have two knives made

DMurphy

FNG
A buddy and I just completed a once in a lifetime black bear hunt and we were both able to harvest our first bear. Unbeknownst to my buddy, I kept the femur from his bear and mine and brought them home with me. I would like to have the bones used as a handle for a custom knife. I think this would be a very cool memento and would be yet another part of the bear that we will utilize in some way or another. Any suggestions? I am in the greater St. Louis area, but suspect I could ship the bones anywhere. I have left messages for several local blacksmiths, but cannot seem to get a reply. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If you're in the greater St. Louis area I 100% recommend checking out Phil Detmer across the river in Breese, IL. Breese is roughly 50 minutes from STL. He's made several for my Dad and 3 for me. If you're on Facebook or know someone on Facebook look up Detmer Knives and you should find his page. Phil builds a really nice knife at fair prices. I'd think you'd be able to go out there, sit down with him to iron out what you want exactly, and figure it all out directly with Phil.

jeffpg

WKR
I have a couple of good options for you. Both are extremely professional gentleman who reek of integrity and are very good friends of mine.

One is a full fledged forger who works from scratch to utilize whatever materials you desire to build your dream custom knife. He is actually a “Forged in Fire” champion who had many years of experience under his belt and finally went full time in the knife making business after winning the title on a episode a few years ago.

The other is a supreme craftsman in his own right, but he utilizes steel from a variety of different manufacturers to create his knives. They are all of his own design (or yours) and are tempered by him, he simply bypasses the forging process by purchasing raw blade materials.

Both of these men’s work are extremely popular and sought after, so there is a certain waiting period if you place an order with them. They both live near me in my home state of Mississippi. I will be glad to put you in touch with them if you want to pm me here.

Jeff

Last edited:
OP
DMurphy

DMurphy

FNG
If you're in the greater St. Louis area I 100% recommend checking out Phil Detmer across the river in Breese, IL. Breese is roughly 50 minutes from STL. He's made several for my Dad and 3 for me. If you're on Facebook or know someone on Facebook look up Detmer Knives and you should find his page. Phil builds a really nice knife at fair prices. I'd think you'd be able to go out there, sit down with him to iron out what you want exactly, and figure it all out directly with Phil.
Thank you for this! I will look him up right now.

aaron600rr

Lil-Rokslider
A buddy and I just completed a once in a lifetime black bear hunt and we were both able to harvest our first bear. Unbeknownst to my buddy, I kept the femur from his bear and mine and brought them home with me. I would like to have the bones used as a handle for a custom knife. I think this would be a very cool memento and would be yet another part of the bear that we will utilize in some way or another. Any suggestions? I am in the greater St. Louis area, but suspect I could ship the bones anywhere. I have left messages for several local blacksmiths, but cannot seem to get a reply. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Contact @thescrawnylumberjack on Instagram or email. He can stabilize those bones for ya/make a custom knife. Awesome guy to deal with.
[email protected]

sndmn11

WKR
Thank you. That’s very kind. I will let you know how the other suggestions work out.

It would be worthwhile to get in touch with Ryan, he has worked with bone quite a bit producing scales.

Tyler Hackbarth at Wolf River Forge. He is an army veteran and multiple Forged in Fire winner. Great man and will do anything and everything to get you the blade you want. Like others, you should expect to wait up to a year from design completion to receive you finished and numbered knife.

From Facebook page:

Intro​

Wolf River Forge LLC is a Veteran Owned and Operated Custom Knife Shop specializing in Damascus

[email protected]

My custom damasacus knife. Tyler is the fella on the left.

Attachments

• 61791863712__5E2C9507-D220-4632-8A68-B2DBD2B3141F.jpg
    61791863712__5E2C9507-D220-4632-8A68-B2DBD2B3141F.jpg
    428.6 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_2152.JPG
    IMG_2152.JPG
    495.4 KB · Views: 40
  • Tyler FIF.png
    Tyler FIF.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 40

Nicaburns

Lil-Rokslider
As has been stated, it would be good to get the bone stabilized for longest life. Are you looking for a stainless (stock removal) style blade or carbon/damascus? I make quite a few "heirloom" knives if you don't find someone local but all my work is high carbon steel and damascus with the exception of stainless go mai and san mai.

OP
DMurphy

DMurphy

FNG
As has been stated, it would be good to get the bone stabilized for longest life. Are you looking for a stainless (stock removal) style blade or carbon/damascus? I make quite a few "heirloom" knives if you don't find someone local but all my work is high carbon steel and damascus with the exception of stainless go mai and san mai.
I am looking for high carbon. I will reach out to you if the guy I am workign with now falls through. Thank you!

OP
DMurphy

DMurphy

FNG
Tyler Hackbarth at Wolf River Forge. He is an army veteran and multiple Forged in Fire winner. Great man and will do anything and everything to get you the blade you want. Like others, you should expect to wait up to a year from design completion to receive you finished and numbered knife.

From Facebook page:

Intro​

Wolf River Forge LLC is a Veteran Owned and Operated Custom Knife Shop specializing in Damascus

[email protected]

My custom damasacus knife. Tyler is the fella on the left.
Wow. That is beautiful. They are next on my list to contact. Thank you!

OP
DMurphy

DMurphy

FNG
I should have skipped all of the internet research and just started here. The quantity and quality of information shared in such a short period of time is impressive and much appreciated. I have found my guy and we are working out the details. I will post pics of the completed project. Thanks again for all who took time to write in with suggestion.

Wow. That is beautiful. They are next on my list to contact. Thank you!
Tyler is a great dude and avid hunter as well. I accidentally left my original sheath by a whitetail gut pile and coyotes gnawed it to pieces and ruined it. He cut and sewed me a new one for $40 and it fits perfectly.
Mine is a high carbon steel blade, and I haven't had any issues with maintenance/corrosion.

Nicaburns

Lil-Rokslider
The great thing about a custom forged knife is the chance to be creative! There may be additional things your maker can do to personalize the gift!
I just finished this one for a guy from his wife for their 30th anniversary. They were married in 93 so the blade is 93 layer damascus and has a mother of pearl inlay since pearl is the traditional 30th gift. Makes being a knifemaker fun!

Attachments

• IMG_6671.jpeg
    IMG_6671.jpeg
    363.9 KB · Views: 37