Loose primer pocket fix question

sdupontjr

WKR
I have been following threads and watching videos on youtube about using the 1/2" - 5/8" ball bearing and a hardened bolt to tighten the primer pockets. I don't have any of my brass with loose pockets "YET", but I'm still trying to wrap my head around how this tightens the pocket.

I would assume the ball bearing is small enough for LRP pockets so that it fits into the chamfer of the pocket. Supporting it so you don't drive the primer pocket out of the back of the brass. Why not just lay it flat on a piece of steel so that it can't be driven back pass the base thus giving false head spacing measurements? Seen one video where he used the ball bearing and material flowed around the ball. Then he had to take a file and file down about .001 or more to remove the raised pocket.

Also, it seems that by hitting the bolt, which is perpendicular to the pocket and flash hole, would flatten out the pocket thus making it larger and shallower. Am I missing something? A correct tool would seem to be concave, thus hit it flush and flat, while preventing the material from moving outward. Similar to a sizing die, force all material inward.

wapitibob

WKR
The ball creates an indentation and the resulting flow of mtl is inward, creating a small lip of mtl that helps hold the primer. It's a 1 or 2 off process. Too much impact force will do what you describe, which is why there is a trial/error factor.
I throw my loose pocket brass in the trash.

bigunit

Lil-Rokslider
If you find some of the ginex branded Bosnian primers, they seem to be slightly larger diameter and fit a bit more snuggly in loose primer pockets

OP
S

sdupontjr

WKR
I don't have any loose pockets yet either and seems like the trash would be the safest bet also, but my Engineering head was trying to get wrapped around the concept.

JF_Idaho

Lil-Rokslider
Federal primers have a larger diameter than most of the other manufacturers.

Once primer pockets are blown out I usually just toss the brass. Probably not long before other problems start rearing their head. Especially if you're not annealing.

calhoonprimers02.png