Low Cost Spotting Scope?

OP
R

Rich M

WKR
A good point with fov.
Since I've never had a larger spotting scope, this will hopefully be less of an issue.

Went back and forth on the diameter - 50 vs 65 vs 80 vs larger. Weight was an issue, bulk considered. Fellow who turned me on to the hunt area said he walked upwards of 15 miles a day covering ground, glassing for deer.

10x binoculars will be used for the first pass and closer stuff, then switch over to the spotter for more distance and "the other side". Be interesting to see how it all pans out in the field. Might hate the spotter, might love it.

Now to draw that tag.

ChrisAU

WKR
For extra low budget (and compact/low weight) that I have been very pleased with I got a Sightron S1 13-40x50 for $123 from RG4Arms in Texas. Their site is down for maintenance right now but their info is on Facebook.

I do like leupold scopes - was looking at the spotting scopes like the Ventana and Gold Ring - just no experience with them.

How far does the 30x function well? Figure on just finding animals and seeing if there are antlers, not trying to size racks.
I like the 15-30x range of the Leupold Gold Ring compact scope. 30x is not so powerful that mirage and spotting scope movement make it difficult to see through the scope and it's strong enough to see what you need to at long distance. It also works well at the range. I like the ability to go down to 15x also and anywhere in between the high and low on the scope. I used it antelope, elk, and deer hunting and I'm impressed with the scope. I like Leupold made here in the USA scopes and they have a great warranty also.

David

OP
R

Rich M

WKR
That's a decent price.

I'm seeing the 15-30x50 Gold Rings for $300 and various Viper HD spotters for $600.

OP
R

Rich M

WKR
Yes, wife just sent me a text that it has arrived. Will look thru it for the first time this evening.

TravisIN

WKR

I’ve been looking at these quite a bit too.

I’m considering the
Vortex Razor 50mm
Vortex Viper 65mm
Vanguard hd 65 mm
Or if I could find one a cheap a gen 1 razor 65mm

I’m not counting rings on a sheep or counting inches on a muley miles away. It’s main purpose will be general searching after going over what I can with my binos. The 50mm is on there because of the weight savings. There is no where I can put my hands on ANY of these so it makes it tough.

Sorry, Not trying to steal the thread

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The vortex 50 is limited. I sold mine as it just left me wanting a little more magnification and FOV. It is good for looking over an animal at moderate distance. It is good for identifying a legal animal at a fair distance. It is not good for trying to find animals with the small FOV. Poor low light performance at high magnification.

tdhanses

WKR
I never tried the vanguard 65 but the 82 was better then the razor to my eyes. I’d go with the vanguard. Search the articles here as there is a good review on the 65.

Idahomnts

Lil-Rokslider
Another vanguard vote here , endeavor series has a lifetime warranty I believe , haven’t had to use it

OP
R

Rich M

WKR
I’ve been looking at these quite a bit too.

I’m considering the
Vortex Razor 50mm
Vortex Viper 65mm
Vanguard hd 65 mm
Or if I could find one a cheap a gen 1 razor 65mm

I’m not counting rings on a sheep or counting inches on a muley miles away. It’s main purpose will be general searching after going over what I can with my binos. The 50mm is on there because of the weight savings. There is no where I can put my hands on ANY of these so it makes it tough.

Sorry, Not trying to steal the thread

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't let me influence you too much. Very new at this game. But also was in the same position as you - buying blind, without places to test comparative scopes.

Ended up with the 11-33x50m Razor. The scope is exceptionally crystal clear to me - very, very easy to look thru.

Haven't put any time into using the scope for birds or animals in a wild setting, so can't really discuss FOV issues like guys who do this every year. My plan is to have 3 hunts, so not like I'll ever be an expert.

Chose the 50 mm cause I'm gonna be lugging this around. Time will tell if I made a good call, if I don't go using someone else's stuff and just focus on what I have, should stay plenty happy.

That refurbished Viper 65 for $450 is a heck of a deal tho.

Best wishes in your search.

OXN939

WKR
That's a decent price.

I'm seeing the 15-30x50 Gold Rings for $300 and various Viper HD spotters for $600.

Just picked up a Bushnell Prime 16-48x50. They're $300 and apparently very well regarded. Will update the thread with my impressions for any interested parties.