Low Light Setups

Long Cut

WKR
Here in Georgia, we can legally hunt 30 minutes before and 30 minutes after Official Sunrise & Sunset.

For whatever reason, most of my action with mature bucks seems to be in that last 15 minutes of legal light. No matter where I go or what I do.

My current setup is a 3/16 Peep with a Spott Hogg Tommy Hogg MRT 2 Pin. While I enjoy both, the peep is too small for low-light and the SH is too heavy and lacks in pin-brightness compared to my old Montana Black Golds.

That being said, Would you try a 1/4 or 5/16 peep?
What sight (without a light) do you feel is the brightest?
What Pin setup? (Single, Vertical 2 Pin, 3-5 Pin)

-I’m torn between a Montana Black Gold Dual Trac and a 3-Pin MBG Slider.
BUT I’m open to suggestions

Reddish

Lil-Rokslider
Use a nose button and get rid of the peep. With some practice it’s still accurate and no need to worry about lighting as long as you can see the pins.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
My original BG Flashpoint sight still has the brightest non-lighted pins I've seen during those hours. I would think that one of those with .029" pins would be great, even with your 3/16" peep. I use 3/16" or 1/4", but use my 7-pin SH Hunter sights with .019's just because they're more durable sights than my old Flashpoint. But ya.....those first or last 15 minutes it's tough to see much, especially in the dark timber, even if I had no peep.

OP
Long Cut

Long Cut

WKR
My original BG Flashpoint sight still has the brightest non-lighted pins I've seen during those hours. I would think that one of those with .029" pins would be great, even with your 3/16" peep. I use 3/16" or 1/4", but use my 7-pin SH Hunter sights with .019's just because they're more durable sights than my old Flashpoint. But ya.....those first or last 15 minutes it's tough to see much, especially in the dark timber, even if I had no peep.

I just ordered a Custom Montana Black Gold Rush with the 2” housing and 3” ML3 base.
I went with a 5 Pin with a .029-.019-.019-.010-.010 configuration.

Apparently MBG is phasing out of the 2” sight housings and sticking to 1.75” from here on out. If that’s true, I may order another Rush in a 2” housing for a backup.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I've always said my perfect sight would be a 7-pin SH Hunter with a Flashpoint bubble, and that Photochromatic shell. I love how durable the SH's are, but hate that tiny hard to see bubble and even their wrapped pins. I guess they've fixed the bubble issue now with a larger bubble, but their pins still need to be brighter in low light.

the MRT ring is way easier to see than the MBG rings. The MBG pins are brighter than the spot hogg pins in low light. The tommy hogg housing does not have sufficient room to squeeze a layer of photochromic poly around the fibers.

bigger peeps help quite a bit in low light regardless of the sight you use, but you do need to preserve the peep to housing alignment.

If they're legal in GA, the garmin electronic sights look like the very best option for extremely low light performance.

TSAMP

WKR
As said above, peep - housing alignment is important. I shot a 1/4" peep with a MBG 1.75" housing on a hoyt. Then got the 2" MBG on my phase 4 and had to drop to a 3/16 peep and hated it. I went with up to a 7/32 and have found a happy medium. I'd prefer the bigger peep but this fits the bill. I will say all peeps are not equal. Try a few

eltaco

WKR
I’ll 2nd the Garmin Xero A1i sight. I’ve been using them since they first hit the market and don’t see myself ever going back to traditional pin sights unless hunting a state where electronic sights are illegal.

The Garmin has a large sight ring, so you’ll end up with a bigger peep for alignment purposes, which helps with low light. The LED pins auto adjust brightness and can be seen even in no light conditions. I’ve shot animals multiple times now out of a blind in the first or last few minutes of legal shooting light which I know I couldn’t have done with a fiber sight.

My encounters are like yours in whitetail woods, and the vast majority of my shots are near legal shooting minutes. The Garmin sight is the single best investment I’ve made in archery equipment towards actually increasing my success in the field.

OP
Long Cut

Long Cut

WKR
the MRT ring is way easier to see than the MBG rings. The MBG pins are brighter than the spot hogg pins in low light. The tommy hogg housing does not have sufficient room to squeeze a layer of photochromic poly around the fibers.

bigger peeps help quite a bit in low light regardless of the sight you use, but you do need to preserve the peep to housing alignment.

If they're legal in GA, the garmin electronic sights look like the very best option for extremely low light performance.

Yup I agree all around- Minus the Garmin as I’ve not used one personally.

I’m going to try finding someone to 3D print a large MRT style ring for my MBG. That should make it a lot better IMO

I bought a 1/4” and 5/16” peeps, hopefully one pairs up well with my 2” sight housing MBG.

Ultimately if this setup doesn’t work for the 2024/2025 season, I might end up buying the Garmin.

OP
Long Cut

Long Cut

WKR
I’ll 2nd the Garmin Xero A1i sight. I’ve been using them since they first hit the market and don’t see myself ever going back to traditional pin sights unless hunting a state where electronic sights are illegal.

The Garmin has a large sight ring, so you’ll end up with a bigger peep for alignment purposes, which helps with low light. The LED pins auto adjust brightness and can be seen even in no light conditions. I’ve shot animals multiple times now out of a blind in the first or last few minutes of legal shooting light which I know I couldn’t have done with a fiber sight.

My encounters are like yours in whitetail woods, and the vast majority of my shots are near legal shooting minutes. The Garmin sight is the single best investment I’ve made in archery equipment towards actually increasing my success in the field.

My main reservation (aside from price) is accidentally ranging a twig or branch in a low light scenario. I hunt a lot of thick pines, creek bottoms etc where foliage 1-4’ exists. Most is pencil diameter or thinner, which can be hard to see in low-light at 20-30 yards.

Have you had any issues ranging deer?

eltaco

WKR
My main reservation (aside from price) is accidentally ranging a twig or branch in a low light scenario. I hunt a lot of thick pines, creek bottoms etc where foliage 1-4’ exists. Most is pencil diameter or thinner, which can be hard to see in low-light at 20-30 yards.

Have you had any issues ranging deer?

I haven’t personally had any issues with ranging, but also can’t speak for every possible scenario. I suppose I’ve been using the Xero for 5yrs or so without a problem, but your situations could be different?

My general rule of thumb is that if I have an obstacle between me and the target that could feasibly present a ranging issue, I probably need to rethink my shot opportunity. If you have a window big enough for an arrow to travel ti the target, I don’t think you’ll encounter a ranging issue.

WCB

WKR
Looking to complete a setup for lowlight/ground blind and late season hunting close quarters. I think I'm goin with a MBG 3 pin Ascent top pin .029 Green then two .010 pins (not sure color). Most shots are 30yds and in out of the ground blind but want the extra two pins as the bow I am putting it on is set up identical to my main bow (2 BT Prodigys) and will be used as a backup/spare incase. Only difference will be peep size. Pin size on sight and my "blind/late season bow" will be set to comfort setting on the cams for smoother easier drawing. Not sure on Peep size I will mess with that a bit.

If I decide on a real big peep and need to, Ill have someone at work 3d print a ring for my site so I can make sure it is the appropriate size for my site picture. Only thing I might change is the first pin to .019 pin and add a light so at least I have the option.

pHill30

FNG
One thing I love about single pins is there’s only one pin and it’s right in the center of housing. In low light even if your pin is hard to see you still know exactly where it is. I’ve really liked HHA housing with rheostat to increase or lessen brightness as well. Low light is much harder with multiple pins. i haven’t experimented with changing peep size

OP
Long Cut

Long Cut

WKR
Looking to complete a setup for lowlight/ground blind and late season hunting close quarters. I think I'm goin with a MBG 3 pin Ascent top pin .029 Green then two .010 pins (not sure color). Most shots are 30yds and in out of the ground blind but want the extra two pins as the bow I am putting it on is set up identical to my main bow (2 BT Prodigys) and will be used as a backup/spare incase. Only difference will be peep size. Pin size on sight and my "blind/late season bow" will be set to comfort setting on the cams for smoother easier drawing. Not sure on Peep size I will mess with that a bit.

If I decide on a real big peep and need to, Ill have someone at work 3d print a ring for my site so I can make sure it is the appropriate size for my site picture. Only thing I might change is the first pin to .019 pin and add a light so at least I have the option.

I’ll take a 3D printed MBG sight ring as well if they’re interested in selling a couple lol