Low Poundage and BH

Luked

WKR
Looking at gettin my wife set up with her own bow finally.
Have most things picked out but one thing I am looking at more is the BH for her to use.
All of her hunting will probably be for deer size game around home here.
For lower poundage (Around 40lb pull) I am thinking a 2 blade COC will be the best way to go.
But What I am wondering is what are some you all would recommend.
And no its not going to be something like an IW. the cost isnt justified for me to go that route.

I am kind of looking at the Magnus line something like the 85gr Magnus Stinger 2 blade or maybe even the Singer 4 blade
Have any of you all used these heads?

LostArra

WKR
My daughter kills deer with Slick Trick but I think your listed choices are good too. I've used two blade bh with trad gear.

qad exodus is super tough, but it's not an exceptionally great penetrating head. Magnus is probably a good choice, any cut on contact, moderate cutting diameter should work well.

Bump79

WKR
Those would be good choices for her. I'd keep the weight reasonable like you are with the 85 grains and utilize something like the Magnus Stinger 4b. Bleeders are kind of a freebee in my opinion - they don't take much force after the tissue and bone has been breached.

This could be another option.

I wouldn't hesitate to use a solid 2b head with a shorter profile. Or even a 3 blade like a VPA.

A small cut replaceable blade like the Madman is a great budget head as well.

MThuntr

WKR
I liked the Magnus Stinger line of broadheads. Killed a few deer though at a much faster velocity than a 40lb bow. I'm not sure I'd drop too light in broadhead weight and be sure to check the local laws about cutting diameter. 100+ grains is still probably the lightest I'd go though don't have a good reason why except the slight advantage in arrow weight and cutting diameter,

Reactions: Zac
OP
Luked

Luked

WKR
Its going to be a challenge to get her set up right i think.
Shes 5'2" and has little T rex arms. So shes got like a 24" draw.
So with trying to find an arrow with the right spine is going to be tough also.
I shoot Slick Trick Viper tricks now and have had really good luck with them.

Bump79

WKR
Its going to be a challenge to get her set up right i think.
Shes 5'2" and has little T rex arms. So shes got like a 24" draw.
So with trying to find an arrow with the right spine is going to be tough also.
I shoot Slick Trick Viper tricks now and have had really good luck with them.
I wouldn't hesitate to be a little stiff. A 500 spine will be perfectly fine. At that velocity you'll be able to get the Magnus to fly perfectly fine.

I picked up some Bloodsport Onyx 500 awhile back and they'd probably work well for her. Spin well & I've got some Ethics for them as well. Let me know if you're interested.

OP
Luked

Luked

WKR
I wouldn't hesitate to be a little stiff. A 500 spine will be perfectly fine. At that velocity you'll be able to get the Magnus to fly perfectly fine.
Im hoping that the 500 spine will work ok. shes pretty short so the only thing that concerns me is having to cut them down so much which will stiffen them even more.
Not sure which way we are going to go arrow wise yet.
Should be an eventfull offseason for sure.

Beendare

WKR
Recurve guy here....I can tell you there is a huge difference in penetration between one of the many popular short chisel point heads and a 2 blade with low energy bows. Night and day...the 2 blades kill them.

In fact, a 2 blade turns almost any arrow into a penetrating monster.

Magnus is good....but FYI....I have been using some cheap off brand heads...and they still work great- just have to touch them up before using to make sure they are super sharp.

The 2 blade tapered design slides in....vs the chopping in of some of the short chisel heads. This makes the quality of the steel less of an issue with a 2 blade. There is very little pressure on the edge of a tapered 2 blade, thus cheap steel works unless you hit heavy bone...but then no head from a low energy bow works well on that.

Last edited:

Bump79

WKR
Recurve guy here....I can tell you there is a huge difference in penetration between one of the many popular short chisel point heads and a 2 blade with low energy bows. Night and day...the 2 blades kill them.

In fact, a 2 blade turns almost any arrow into a penetrating monster.

Magnus is good....but FYI....I have been using some cheap off brand heads...and they still work great- just have to touch them up before using to make sure they are super sharp.

The 2 blade deign slides in....vs the chopping in of some of the short chisel heads. This makes the quality of the steel less of an issue with a 2 blade. There is very little pressure on the edge of a tapered 2 blade, thus cheap steel works unless you hit heavy bone...but then no head from a low energy bow works well on that.
I agree. With low energy setups it makes perfect sense. Once velocity increases - then it's a different story as the surface area makes them difficult to get to fly right.

Marble

WKR
Im hoping that the 500 spine will work ok. shes pretty short so the only thing that concerns me is having to cut them down so much which will stiffen them even more.
Not sure which way we are going to go arrow wise yet.
Should be an eventfull offseason for sure.
You can leave them a little longer. But being stiffer is better when tuning the broadheads.

I went through this with my wife. She shoots 100 grain heads because there are so many more options for field points and broadheads. The difference between 85 and 100 won't male a difference really. She shoots the Kudu points now. But she's pulling 51lbs now at 27" draw length.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Bert01

FNG
I was thinking stingers as I was reading your post. There was some high foc stuff done with low draw weights where they were killing pigs and getting pass throughs.

nphunter

WKR
German Jagers, stingers and Kudu points are what my kids are using. The original kudu is a great head for penetrating and probably more reusable than the Jagers and stinger but all of them are great choices.

CMF

WKR
Magnus stinger killer bee 7/8" 2 blade. It took down my 6x6 bull this year and have taken a few deer with them as well.

Zac

WKR
Kudu is probably your best value 2 blade. I’d just go with the 100 grain. Also you can get a sharpening kit from Innovative Outdoorsman and get them pretty terrifying.

Joe Holden

Lil-Rokslider
My Fiancé shot her first ever deer with a compound last fall (26" / 43lbs / 375 TAW / 205fps - under 15 yard shot). With her set up, I thought a Killer Bee from Magnus would be a good idea. It definitely worked with a well placed shot, but I can't stop thinking about outcome if shot placement was less than ideal. Pic below shows the hole through the heart.

Moving into this fall, we'll probably get her into something with a bigger main blade and smaller bleeders (Stingers, Viper Trick, SF Phat Head, etc)

If helpful, i wish her arrow weight was closer to 350 and speed a bit faster. Her pin gaps currently are 20 / 25 / 30 for hunting. 40 / 50 for practice.

Attachments

• heart.jpg
    heart.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 8

JNDEER

WKR
I would recommend the 3 blade Wac’em .. never liked the 2 blade- even with bleeders. They penetrate, but overall cut is smaller and can produce poor blood trails.

Wacem is true COC head, not the chisel kind with razor sharp blades.