LS Wild wants your help developing 15X Bino Armor.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
We here at LS Wild are working on lots of new gear. One product that we are excited to release soon is our padded binocular cover or case for big binos like our expensive 15x Swaro, Leica, Vortex (15,18, 20), Maven, etc.

When Skinner and I are glassing, we wanted to have a case to protect our glass in the pack and on the tripod. We often move 50 or 100 yards, and don’t like to repack everything or carry out expensive glass naked.

I also like to strap my bino and tripod to my pack so it is easily accessible. In one of the pictures you can see it poking above my shoulder in my pack.

Here are some quick pictures, they are a little vague because I want you to give ideas how you would use it.

Anyone who comments on the thread with an honest thought before October 15, good or bad, will get a chance to win a final prototype or first one off production. If you want something else from our product line, you’ll get credit towards the item.

20ABB7BB-CD9B-4445-B8A2-2BC7470E4E31.jpegE3DEA956-D006-43E5-B6C1-78398FB78B60.jpeg92FED203-5E37-4B3D-893F-5427620F495F.jpeg014FEF0B-267B-4527-BE9E-06E0F5958E2F.jpeg

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
How do the attach/slip over the binoculars? I like to carry mine in the top of my pack but had the lens cover pop off a few times and now wrap them in shirt to hold everything in place so looking at something better for sure.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

OP
hereinaz

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
How do the attach/slip over the binoculars? I like to carry mine in the top of my pack but had the lens cover pop off a few times and now wrap them in shirt to hold everything in place so looking at something better for sure.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
This is a better than a t-shirt for sure, but that’s a pretty low tech solution, lol. I used to wrap mine in a puffy mist of the time, so I get it.

It’s a lot like the forward opening bino harnesses that use a bungee. Quick and easy. Super secure and. I buckles. I will get a video up to show that.

Vrybusy

Lil-Rokslider
Interesting....Is the material DWR treated, or lined with a waterproof membrane? If so, have there been any condensation issues? How about adding a small exernal stretch pocket to hold a wind checker? Any chance for an option to attach externally to a pack with a buckle? For smaller bino's, you could attach them to the shoulder strap on a pack or even another location. Larger ones could be attacked to the top or rear external portion of the pack for quicker access (than having to open your pack) in lieu of a bino harness. Not a harness replacement, rather providing options.

intunegp

WKR
I like the concept, and would like to see more refinement to really dial in usability. I think Vrybusy had a great idea in providing some way to attach to a pack via buckle/strap.

I personally prefer magnets to bungees for opening and closing, so maybe a magnet version? Is it a flip-down style opening on the front and rear?

Also curious to see what the bottom/tripod side looks like. A big elastic slit for various tripod attachments to fit through?

For those of us who may switch back and forth between 10s and 15s throughout the day, how easy is it to access an Outdoorsman's style bino mount to switch between one and the other?

Great idea for the folks that run around with their binos or spotter attached to tripod on the back of their pack. Personally it'd have be under $40 for me to consider it. I would like to see the underside of it to see how good it cinches around tripod attachment. I think id prefer magnets over a bungee but if your design is well thought out & performs well with bungee id be ok with it.

OP
hereinaz

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Interesting....Is the material DWR treated, or lined with a waterproof membrane? If so, have there been any condensation issues? How about adding a small exernal stretch pocket to hold a wind checker? Any chance for an option to attach externally to a pack with a buckle? For smaller bino's, you could attach them to the shoulder strap on a pack or even another location. Larger ones could be attacked to the top or rear external portion of the pack for quicker access (than having to open your pack) in lieu of a bino harness. Not a harness replacement, rather providing options.
We are using the same very durable 500d Cordura as most of our products, it is treated for water resistance. And, the padding is waterproof as far as that goes.

No problem with condensation in Alaska on either of our optics over 16 days caribou hunting.

Yes, we are planning on a pouch for lens pen and possibly another stretch pouch. Yes, we are also going to include some loops for attaching to a pack.

OP
hereinaz

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Great idea for the folks that run around with their binos or spotter attached to tripod on the back of their pack. Personally it'd have be under $40 for me to consider it. I would like to see the underside of it to see how good it cinches around tripod attachment. I think id prefer magnets over a bungee but if your design is well thought out & performs well with bungee id be ok with it.
I like the concept, and would like to see more refinement to really dial in usability. I think Vrybusy had a great idea in providing some way to attach to a pack via buckle/strap.

I personally prefer magnets to bungees for opening and closing, so maybe a magnet version? Is it a flip-down style opening on the front and rear?

Also curious to see what the bottom/tripod side looks like. A big elastic slit for various tripod attachments to fit through?

For those of us who may switch back and forth between 10s and 15s throughout the day, how easy is it to access an Outdoorsman's style bino mount to switch between one and the other?
Right on guys, that is exactly how we use our binos, and right on track with what we are doing. We have the refinements in process.

There is a slit for the bino to stay on the tripod or allow the post to stick out, and it is tight. You have to take the bino out of the pouch to take off the outdoorsman post. I leave my post on my 18x bino 90% of the time.

I think a mag closure option makes sense.
We'll add locations for straps and some pockets.

Watch for it on sale when we release it, intending to do it in mid November.

OP
hereinaz

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
You guys are right on track with design.

I had a thought about something for this product when we launch. I'd like to get some of the final prototypes out for testing and some honest no BS reviews for fellow Roksliders when we release it.
If any of you above who took the time to post your ideas so far want to give it a try, I can ship in a couple weeks. PM me for the details.

Basically, you'll need to agree to get some pictures and give us an honest review with details. I know that it will take a couple of hours to do the work I am asking, so keep the cover as payment or you can return the cover for $75 cash, no questions asked, as alternative compensation for the effort to do the review. We don't want to be seen as paying for a review...

intunegp

WKR
Right on guys, that is exactly how we use our binos, and right on track with what we are doing. We have the refinements in process.

There is a slit for the bino to stay on the tripod or allow the post to stick out, and it is tight. You have to take the bino out of the pouch to take off the outdoorsman post. I leave my post on my 18x bino 90% of the time.

I think a mag closure option makes sense.
We'll add locations for straps and some pockets.

Watch for it on sale when we release it, intending to do it in mid November.

I may not have refined my glassing setup/process enough, but that would be an issue for my current setup. I have one post and two pairs of binos with studs. The 10s live in a harness on my chest so leaving a second post attached to them would be cumbersome. For the terrain I hunt I think there is a benefit in somewhat quickly checking out an area with 10s to find movement or animals in less cover, then really picking it apart and/or analyzing finds with 15s. I like to be able to have either/or on the tripod quickly and easily.

I can see why it was designed that way, but not sure I love it. I wouldn't mind seeing a top access slit/zipper/whatever to unscrew the stud from the post. I understand that you'd have to get the stud into the post blind, but I think that's fairly doable. I know an opening on the top seems undesirable for a protective cover that will likely get rained or snowed on, but if you keep it tight like the bottom and line it with elastic or have a waterproof zip I don't think it would be problematic.

HuntWyld

WKR
I think it has value, you’re going to need to give people a reason to go with yours over the marsupial padded case though. Another thing that needs to be balanced is protection versus weight, I struggle sometimes packing along the marsupial case and it weighs less than a half pound. I certainly wouldn’t be packing anything that was approaching the weight of another bino harness.

OP
hereinaz

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I may not have refined my glassing setup/process enough, but that would be an issue for my current setup. I have one post and two pairs of binos with studs. The 10s live in a harness on my chest so leaving a second post attached to them would be cumbersome. For the terrain I hunt I think there is a benefit in somewhat quickly checking out an area with 10s to find movement or animals in less cover, then really picking it apart and/or analyzing finds with 15s. I like to be able to have either/or on the tripod quickly and easily.

I can see why it was designed that way, but not sure I love it. I wouldn't mind seeing a top access slit/zipper/whatever to unscrew the stud from the post. I understand that you'd have to get the stud into the post blind, but I think that's fairly doable. I know an opening on the top seems undesirable for a protective cover that will likely get rained or snowed on, but if you keep it tight like the bottom and line it with elastic or have a waterproof zip I don't think it would be problematic.
Your process works for you, I don’t think there is a right way. I just hand hold with my 10s for the quick scan, that’s just personal preference.

What I think would work for you is putting the post in a pocket in either harness.

Or, we are probably going to release a little pocket that straps onto the tripod and is designed to hold the post… I recognize that guys have different processes so different solutions are needed.

intunegp

WKR
Your process works for you, I don’t think there is a right way. I just hand hold with my 10s for the quick scan, that’s just personal preference.

What I think would work for you is putting the post in a pocket in either harness.

Or, we are probably going to release a little pocket that straps onto the tripod and is designed to hold the post… I recognize that guys have different processes so different solutions are needed.

But if I can't get the post on/off the 15s without removing the cover carrying the post separately still doesn't solve the dilemma, right? I'd still need a second post or to take the cover on and off whenever the 15s got switched.

OP
hereinaz

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I think it has value, you’re going to need to give people a reason to go with yours over the marsupial padded case though. Another thing that needs to be balanced is protection versus weight, I struggle sometimes packing along the marsupial case and it weighs less than a half pound. I certainly wouldn’t be packing anything that was approaching the weight of another bino harness.
Excellent points.

I love that you are questioning value. Those questions have merit. This is why I asked, so thanks. It helps me understand how others see it and would use it.

And, I struggled with each of those too a little bit. I don’t know of another bino case quite like ours, and I didn’t see anything with a quick glance in the website.

If you have more questions or comments, definitely keep them coming.

You are right, this isn’t for all binos, just the bigger glass that only is used on the tripod.

It is very light. Our current prototype is 4.9 ounces. With a couple simple pockets I can’t see it going much over 5 ounces. We are being very very careful to keep our gear from getting too complex like a Swiss Army knife that has way too many useless tools. I made stuff like that a long time ago, too cute and clever to be useful…

In use, I think the value will become apparent, if the weight dilemma balances out in the personal choice. For me, protecting it inside and outside my pack and outside make it worth it. But, six ounces may be too much. I definitely get that, cause I still cut my toothbrush handle from my backpacking days as a kid, lol, if I bring it…

The clincher for me and those who have tested it is the ability to put it on while on the tripod. Saves the hassle of taking off the optic and putting it away. And, I can easily move around hand holding my tripod with glass still on it protected.

Or, strap it to my pack for quick access to my big glass. I find myself glassing more because of this convenience factor.

OP
hereinaz

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
But if I can't get the post on/off the 15s without removing the cover carrying the post separately still doesn't solve the dilemma, right? I'd still need a second post or to take the cover on and off whenever the 15s got switched.
Yeah, that’s true.

Thanks for the feedback. I am going to ponder that. I don’t want to add anything to the top, cause that help keep rain and snow out.

I will think on it and come up with my best idea for change to product or maybe a way you can tweak your process if having a padded case even makes sense for you.

It honestly might not be right for you and we can make something different. Love new ideas and problems to noodle through.

Where do you typically keep the post now?
When are you typically switching it out, and where is it before the switch?

Definitely like the idea. How fast is it to get from stored to glassing? Have you tested something like the various stay-on cover designs that are around for spotters?

Also how does your current design work with tripod mounts like RRS or Aziak that clamp on one barrel instead of a post between the barrels?

intunegp

WKR
Yeah, that’s true.

Thanks for the feedback. I am going to ponder that. I don’t want to add anything to the top, cause that help keep rain and snow out.

I will think on it and come up with my best idea for change to product or maybe a way you can tweak your process if having a padded case even makes sense for you.

It honestly might not be right for you and we can make something different. Love new ideas and problems to noodle through.

Where do you typically keep the post now?
When are you typically switching it out, and where is it before the switch?

No problem. Just trying to provide perspective from different use cases, not bashing it for not being perfect for me. I also realize putting my 10s on the tripod probably isn't necessary, especially since I admit to using them more for a quick preliminary scan than long, hard glassing. I just like having the option.

The post lives on my tripod, it doesn't get switched out. Every now and again I'll take it off and put it in my bino harness or the lid of my pack if the added length on the tripod is bugging me for one reason or another but that's rare.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Love the idea but I have a bino harness. What I don’t have is a good option for my kowa 883! Someone make a darned stay on, fitted neoprene cover for it! They’d sell like hot cakes, assuming they aren’t 150 dollars!

No problem. Just trying to provide perspective from different use cases, not bashing it for not being perfect for me. I also realize putting my 10s on the tripod probably isn't necessary, especially since I admit to using them more for a quick preliminary scan than long, hard glassing. I just like having the option.

The post lives on my tripod, it doesn't get switched out. Every now and again I'll take it off and put it in my bino harness or the lid of my pack if the added length on the tripod is bugging me for one reason or another but that's rare.
I too keep the post on the tripod.... now if you made the case form fitting enough to use the quick detach and not take the post off, that would be verrry interesting. At that point you might be better off looking at making a modular bino harness that unclips from the chest and snaps straight onto the tripod bino post.