Luxe tents

GG9

FNG
Okay guys,

I have been eye balling the MLD duomid XL for a long time. Coming from a backpacking background, they are the bee’s knees. However, they are pretty pricey. I have been reading a lot about Luxe tents and watching videos but I have never seen a video of one in some wicked wind, rain or hail. I am unfamiliar with the ripstop material in a shelter and from what I understand it is different than silnylon?

I am assuming that is why they are lower cost?

Anyway, I spend quite a bit of my time above tree line where wind, rain and hail are very common. I use a traditional tent at the moment.

I am curious, has anyone had personal experience with any Luxe tent in some pretty hefty/severe wind, rain or hail? If so, how did it hold up? What do you have to compare it too?

Or should I shut up and just by a Hilleberg GT variant? 🤣

Luxe contributes here so I’ll be careful. I wouldn’t trust one above treeline. They’re made in China. Hilleberg are bomber. I would look at Kifaru or SO. Luxe is cheaper due to being made in China and inferior fabrics. Kevin from SO is on here a lot as well. I’ve also seen Aron and Kevin back their products. Anytime luxe is brought up the owner never comes to the defense of his product. To me that speaks volumes.

isu22andy

WKR
Lots of people say whats above but I have been watching Luxes reputation on here closely and haven't seen any failures yet. At the end of the day , I have a hard time spending the cost of a nice rifle on a tent or backpack when there are similar tents (luxe) or backpacks (Mystery Ranch ) for 2-3-400 less. Again - I only use my stuff once or twice a year if Im lucky so take my opinion for what its worth .

lefty8

FNG
I have the Luxe Octopeak and had it up in 65-70 miles an hour wind for three days and did not have any issue, other than the normal retightening of the tension on the stakes. I was really impressed. I was also on a ridge above treeline only have short scrub oak for wind break if any.

Attachments

• CCCCADCA-E6C6-4DD6-AC6B-09BDC1E83F80.jpeg
    CCCCADCA-E6C6-4DD6-AC6B-09BDC1E83F80.jpeg
    509.5 KB · Views: 248

Dhicklin

FNG
139832We put up this tent and had to leave it for 3 days. Got about 4 inches of snow. Held up much better than I expected. This ones the octopeak

I have a luxe megatron. This past season I left it up for just over a full month in the back country. I planned on hunting that spot for a significant amount of the month long season. Unfortunately, I was only able to hunt two seperate three day weekends. In other words, I set it up and never adjusted it after that. The location had some serious winds during my first trip. It had much much worse winds while I did not seal the bottom of the tipi. So when I came back, dust covered the tipi, along with everything inside. That was totally my fault. But, based on my limited experience thus far, I have no reservations about Luxe tents and tipi's.

The workmanship, stitching... on my Megahorn is top quality. My only complaint is that I must stop down to enter and exit it. I did however upgrade the tent steaks.

Cf8889

FNG
Interested in following this. I've heard due to the lower price point, the warranty isn't as great as SO or Kifaru. But that is fair.

ttucci16

Lil-Rokslider
Luxe is a great company. They have outstanding customer service. They're hunters and support the community. When i travelled to their brick and mortar store, they took the time to let me set up and test out three of their tents and were 100 percent honest with me on what they thought my needs were. The picture is of a HexpeakXL (3-person tent, but only good for 2 grown men and gear) in the North Cascades one mile from the Canadian border at 7K feet. The night of the picture i had 50 MPH winds and hail pound the tent. I slept like a baby, and didn't have a single issue. Don't let the "Chinese Crap" and warranty deter you. People put waaaaaay to much emphasis on a warranty, and is typically reflected in the price to cover a really good warranty (Warranty work still costs the employer) I have no doubt that the American Made companies are oustanding, but Luxe comes in at more palatable price for the people not willing to spend that kind of money on a shelter that won't be used every weekend for 5 months.

Last edited:

Mountain_Life

Lil-Rokslider
I was in the market for a light weight floorless shelter and purchased the Luxe Hex Peak primarily due to the price, knowing that the quality of the materials would be less. At a fraction of the cost, I decided I could always upgrade to a higher quality tent if I was unhappy with it. My thoughts after the first season...... so far, all seams have held and cosmetically there are no defects. I did not seam seal it, but did spend 3 nights/days straight of rain/snow/sleet in it. If it leaked, I didn't notice, because due to the tipee design, all moisture inside immediately runs down the side to the ground. The material did stretch slightly when soaked but not enough to require a re pitch. I can't tell you about the longevity yet as I've only used it for a season. I keep my bag/quilt inside a bivy so the tent is mostly just to protect my gear and provide a first line of protection anyway. It pitches easily and has plenty of anchor points. I usually pulled the mid tent anchor over my head horizontally to a tree when possible to provide more head room when sitting up inside..

Attachments

• 20191002_173150.jpg
    20191002_173150.jpg
    352.2 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:

Lucci

FNG
I’m glad to hear some of these reviews as I have been looking for an alternative to a more expensive tipi.

SixxxerCT

FNG
Guys getting the Octopeak, have you order with two doors or sod skirt version with single door? Any regrets in choosing either? In the winter, paired with an inner and stove, two doors doesn't make sense, but in fair weather, two would sure be nice. I'd welcome people's experiences with them, so far I like what I am reading.

I have the single door with snow skirt. Admittedly I haven't used it in the snow at all. One thing I don't like is the snow skirt doesnt roll up or pin up in a way that I like. I could be doing it wrong though. I've never wanted a second door on it. I have the inner nest as well but haven't used it yet, that will change next week though.

I'm just a east of the Mississippi hunter at the moment, I don't go out in crazy high winds and am not in a life threatening situation if my tipi fails. Take it for what it's worth. Mine has been great so far. Had it in several rain and thunderstorms with some higher wind gusts. I stayed dry and nothing fell apart. Can't ask for much more.

Jac

Lil-Rokslider
I have the mini peak. It’s built pretty well but I got wet inside it last year on sheep hunt. Also had driving rain coming in from underneath the side that might of been my fault for poor setup.

Elite

WKR
I have had good luck with mine so far no issues
d0dc9939ef78bf34c647307e312584e5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dutch_henry

Lil-Rokslider
I was initially interested in the Minipeak XL (vs a SO Cimarron). But at least on paper the Luxe is 3-4oz heavier, 8" less headroom, and a 8-10 sf smaller compared to the SO. Made me decide to save up for the SO.

I do have a silpoly tent that I like quite a bit. Based on my experiences with it, the silpoly vs silnylon debate wouldn't be a big factor in my decision.

Luxe sounds like a great company. Not everyone can afford or justify a shelter 2x-3x more expensive. I hope their gear gets more people into hot tenting and out enjoying the backcountry.

I saw the announcement of their Rocket XL Tarp this week and depending on the weight/specs - I’ll preorder one to try this off-season. If you’re on a budget - or even want to see if floorless is for you - Luxe offers a great value in tipi and pyramid type shelters. If you like it and want to upgrade later to something made in the US and higher quality - order a Seek Outside shelter. Good luck!

jmike

FNG
I bought the Luxe Megahorn (4) this year. added to Seek XL stove and it damn comfy. Firt trip was 4 days had one stretch of 16 housed solid rain and wind about 20 mph, work great no water inside . I did have to adjust the tensioners after such a long rain. Also was the first time out with it.

Second trip ,no wind or rain to speak of but it got down in the low teens and all seem to go well.

I will also say this if my first floor less tent and I think it is great.

At $295 it is a bargain. We are getting the Megahorn XL for elk hunting this year, want more room for gear and such.

Just off a glance the Luxe material doesn't seem that different than what Seek Outside uses.

Luxe: "40D Ripstop Nylon (Silnylon) fabric 5000mm hydrostatic head - 260 Tensile strength with one side PU and one side silicone"

Seek Outside: "30D Cordura spec ripstop double coated silnylon, waterproof from 3000 to 4000mm hydrostatic head"