Luxe tents

renagde

WKR
I used a Hexpeak and my buddies used a Hexpeak XL for about 2 weeks this season at 10,000 ft in Colorado. We had no problem with ours. Granted, we didn't have high winds or snow but they set up easy, are durable enough, waterproof after seam sealing and they just plain worked. For a lot less than the competition. I'm always a buy American first kind of guy, but I was able to pickup both used for cheap in the classifieds and for someone just getting into the floorless tent game, it was a no brainer.

Had the Octopeak out this week in Alabama. Had wind and rain one night and rain the next night/morning. Stayed dry even though I still haven't seam sealed it yet. I used the inner nest for the first time and it's kind of a pain to set up. I wish there had been a video made showing how to use both together and still get maximum space. Anyone have any suggestions? We set up the nest first, freestanding on it's own, then threw the tipi over it.

Regardless we figured it out. Plenty of room in the nest for two guys and some stuff as well as keeping packs and such under the tipi but out of the nest. IMG_20200206_164122.jpg

Last edited:

Dhicklin

FNG
Okay guys,

I have been eye balling the MLD duomid XL for a long time. Coming from a backpacking background, they are the bee’s knees. However, they are pretty pricey. I have been reading a lot about Luxe tents and watching videos but I have never seen a video of one in some wicked wind, rain or hail. I am unfamiliar with the ripstop material in a shelter and from what I understand it is different than silnylon?

I am assuming that is why they are lower cost?

Anyway, I spend quite a bit of my time above tree line where wind, rain and hail are very common. I use a traditional tent at the moment.

I am curious, has anyone had personal experience with any Luxe tent in some pretty hefty/severe wind, rain or hail? If so, how did it hold up? What do you have to compare it too?

Or should I shut up and just by a Hilleberg GT variant? 🤣

I had my first octopeak fail while out scouting last year. It tore near the peak in some hellacious wind. My guess is 60ish mph gusts. The tent was still standing but the aluminum pole poked through the outer tent causing it to rip about 5-6 inches. I found out later it was partially my fault. Overtightened the lines and my brother put the pole in upside down. Even with that knowledge Luxe took the torn one back and replaced it with a new one. Great service everytime I have contacted them.

RemiR7

Lil-Rokslider
I picked up a minipeak pyramid 2p due to budget and I liked the simplicity. Spent 6 days in it with no issues and the photo attached is minutes after a 2 hour long hail/windstorm with winds I would guess upwards of 40-50mph. While I was a little worried as it was my first time getting stuck in a storm that bad in the backcountry it held up pretty well. As the can see in the picture I did put some decent size rocks on the stakes and guide lines to be on the safe side. I also seam sealed mine and don’t remember any leakage issues.

Attachments

• C37D8465-0203-4897-863E-BB5D9A7A6F1D.jpeg
    C37D8465-0203-4897-863E-BB5D9A7A6F1D.jpeg
    585.2 KB · Views: 124

isu22andy

WKR
How big is the octopeak ? Is it big enough two dudes could sit around the stove at night and cook a meal on it if the weather is south or is it not really basecamp worthy ?

Cimarron vs. Octopeak

Some folks have quoted a price difference of "2-3 times as much", but for comparable tents it's 20% less, not 1/3 the price.

For that money I'm going with a company that manufactures their tents in the USA and has a warranty comparable to the price. I also get a sod skirt standard for my money, along with continuous product improvement and development. And then there is the resale value, where guys sell them USED for nearly what they paid new as the season approaches. Luxe canopy is 10.6 oz heavier (comparing Cimarron with Octopeak). Octopeak 70 square feet vs. Cimarron 94 square feet. Same height.

WARRANTY
Luxe: One year warranty, for original owner only
SO: Lifetime

Ultimately penny foolish to me.

Last edited:
I was in the market for a light weight floorless shelter and purchased the Luxe Hex Peak primarily due to the price, knowing that the quality of the materials would be less. At a fraction of the cost, I decided I could always upgrade to a higher quality tent if I was unhappy with it. My thoughts after the first season...... so far, all seams have held and cosmetically there are no defects. I did not seam seal it, but did spend 3 nights/days straight of rain/snow/sleet in it. If it leaked, I didn't notice, because due to the tipee design, all moisture inside immediately runs down the side to the ground. The material did stretch slightly when soaked but not enough to require a re pitch. I can't tell you about the longevity yet as I've only used it for a season. I keep my bag/quilt inside a bivy so the tent is mostly just to protect my gear and provide a first line of protection anyway. It pitches easily and has plenty of anchor points. I usually pulled the mid tent anchor over my head horizontally to a tree when possible to provide more head room when sitting up inside..
do You run a stove as well? I’m in the market for a new late season shelter but I’ll need a stove.

do You run a stove as well? I’m in the market for a new late season shelter but I’ll need a stove.
I don't use a stove in the lux hex peak, but you can order the hex peak with a stove jack. For one person there is plenty of room for a small stove plus gear. Wouldn't take much heat at all.... if I want heat in the hex peak I just pack in a bigger fuel cylinder and run my burner as low as I can and it heats the tent. The stove, stove pipe and stove jack weigh a lot more than an extra fuel cylinder.

I'm only using heat for a bit in the evening while I'm eating and getting my gear in order for the next day anyway. The hex peak isn't really big enough to comfortably spend a lot of time in.

chlaudy

FNG
Went with the octopeak last year and the gstove. Two guys, some gear and a stove. Due to the snow and high winds we were sitting in our small camp chairs inside BSing and cooking meals. I was so impressed with its performance that I have made up my mind to get a hexpeak xl or minipeak xl for a solo option.
03b1706f4b0a595af662dfe6154432aa.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

ganngus

Lil-Rokslider
Guys getting the Octopeak, have you order with two doors or sod skirt version with single door? Any regrets in choosing either? In the winter, paired with an inner and stove, two doors doesn't make sense, but in fair weather, two would sure be nice. I'd welcome people's experiences with them, so far I like what I am reading.

I ordered the two doors without the skirt and the 2.5p inner. I went with this route so when I go scout over summer or go archery hunting, I can keep both doors open. For late season hunts, I will pair with a stove.

Now, I literally got mine 3 days ago on Saturday. However, I set it up to see what it was like and I was actually pleasantly surprised. Being 6'2, I did not think size was an issue. My only complain was it did not come with instructions as to most effective way to pitch. But I pulled up a 30 second long youtube video and it was cake.

Here is a picture of it.

Attachments

• tent.jpg
    tent.jpg
    324.1 KB · Views: 91

SixxxerCT

FNG
I ordered the two doors without the skirt and the 2.5p inner. I went with this route so when I go scout over summer or go archery hunting, I can keep both doors open. For late season hunts, I will pair with a stove.

Now, I literally got mine 3 days ago on Saturday. However, I set it up to see what it was like and I was actually pleasantly surprised. Being 6'2, I did not think size was an issue. My only complain was it did not come with instructions as to most effective way to pitch. But I pulled up a 30 second long youtube video and it was cake.

Here is a picture of it.

That looks great, thanks for the insight, good luck this year!

Here is a picture of it.
Why did you go without the snow skirt? And if you were to buy it again, would you still go no snow skirt?

wannabemtnman

Lil-Rokslider
I just purchased the Hexpeak XL a couple weeks ago with a stove jack and snow skirts - the Luxe website says the winter outer tent weighs 34 oz, when I weighed mine it came in at 52-53 oz, only difference was mine was in stuff sack (just the outer tent).

I emailed Luxe about it a couple times now but they don’t have any Hexpeak XL’s in stock to weigh.

It seems to be a pretty good set up and I really want to like it, but I bought it for longer summer hiking trips and backcountry hunting so weight was a big factor. It’s hard for me to get behind something that has such a large margin of error, especially when it’s such a critical piece of information that many on this forum use to purchase gear.

I’m curious if anyone else with their tents have checked weight comparisons from real life vs website.

isu22andy

WKR
I had my first octopeak fail while out scouting last year. It tore near the peak in some hellacious wind. My guess is 60ish mph gusts. The tent was still standing but the aluminum pole poked through the outer tent causing it to rip about 5-6 inches. I found out later it was partially my fault. Overtightened the lines and my brother put the pole in upside down. Even with that knowledge Luxe took the torn one back and replaced it with a new one. Great service everytime I have contacted them.
I'm taking a late October elk hunt in the Weiser River area in Idaho. Do you think the Colorado's would be ok for that?

What side is the right side up for the pole? ? Mine looks the same diameter on both ends ??? Any experience in hot weather trying to cool down the inside ??? Feels like a sauna in there.

Dhicklin

FNG
What side is the right side up for the pole? ? Mine looks the same diameter on both ends ??? Any experience in hot weather trying to cool down the inside ??? Feels like a sauna in there.

My pole has a small spike on one end and that goes to the ground. I also cut a tennis ball in half and place that in the top of the tipi to help take off some of the stress.
As far as the heat goes I’m in the same boat. I don’t know if there is much that can be done besides venting it the best you can.

Lowg08

WKR
I just ordered the octopeak stove bundle Thursday myself. Just from research I believe it will be fine

Tryin

FNG
I have been very satisfied with my Megahorn, but an ultralight backpackers tent it ain't. I use mine for canoe camping and when I can pull a sledge/have a partner. Although comparatively speaking, the accompanying Gstove positively makes it feel like a feather.

Upgrade the pegs if you plan to pitch in snow or gravel/sand.

dcff8ed38cbbcece9271c04139626848.jpg
48c34f33e3b21a253e1d480cf37e2996.jpg
129123e686a779c1d0d2ec021a41e045.jpg
0772692036d36d8ed78eb9f1a5bdb891.jpg
d65b3dd9fc81155127ae3bb20b4d9f45.jpg

wannabemtnman

Lil-Rokslider
My pole has a small spike on one end and that goes to the ground. I also cut a tennis ball in half and place that in the top of the tipi to help take off some of the stress.
As far as the heat goes I’m in the same boat. I don’t know if there is much that can be done besides venting it the best you can.
Interesting, I have the aluminum pole and neither side has a spike, one is blue and the other is the silver aluminum in color. No where in the directions did it say what side to use but I wonder if they moved away from the spike. I do like the tennis ball aspect, may have to try that out.

wannabemtnman

Lil-Rokslider
I have been very satisfied with my Megahorn, but an ultralight backpackers tent it ain't. I use mine for canoe camping and when I can pull a sledge/have a partner. Although comparatively speaking, the accompanying Gstove positively makes it feel like a feather.

Upgrade the pegs if you plan to pitch in snow or gravel/sand.

dcff8ed38cbbcece9271c04139626848.jpg
48c34f33e3b21a253e1d480cf37e2996.jpg
129123e686a779c1d0d2ec021a41e045.jpg
0772692036d36d8ed78eb9f1a5bdb891.jpg
d65b3dd9fc81155127ae3bb20b4d9f45.jpg
That's a good looking Ribeye!