MagnetoSpeed

gbflyer

WKR
I would like to acknowledge this company for excellent customer service. I recently purchased a new Sporter model and apparently at some point unbeknownst to me let the transducer slide forward whereupon the muzzle blast blew the side out of it. It still works, by the way. The company sent me a brand new one, no charge.

Lawnboi

WKR
Do you like the sported model? I’m about to bite the bulge on a chrono and wondering if the more expensive one is worth the price

I really like the magnetospeed chronos, but they do shift POI significantly on my rifles. Not a major issue, but you can't shoot for groups and speeds at the same time.

tdhanses

WKR
I’ve had the Sporter since it was released, I really like it and see no reason to upgrade.

mmac

WKR
I have to agree, great way to test loads without having to set up the chrono etc. However, I was making the frustrating mistake of trying to test accuracy and speed and was baffled why groups were all over the place. Took it off and group went back to what I had seen before. So I now test speed seperate.

I had to google other forums to learn it was the chrono.

Great to hear. The magnetospeed sporter is a great product. Really a game changer. Does change point of impact but that's easy to adjust to. Huge improvement over the tripod mounted chronys that took 30 minutes to set up, and were sensitive to light conditions and precipitation.

VernAK

WKR
I have to agree, great way to test loads without having to set up the chrono etc. However, I was making the frustrating mistake of trying to test accuracy and speed and was baffled why groups were all over the place. Took it off and group went back to what I had seen before. So I now test speed seperate.

I had to google other forums to learn it was the chrono.

I use one and find it to be very accurate for fps......IF.........I do not try to hit a target.....the time required for target acquisition will increase temperature of your rounds after that first shot........simply close the bolt and fire down range quickly and you'll find much less deviation in velocities.

Dzel777

FNG
I use one and find it to be very accurate for fps......IF.........I do not try to hit a target.....the time required for target acquisition will increase temperature of your rounds after that first shot........simply close the bolt and fire down range quickly and you'll find much less deviation in velocities.

Awesome suggestion! That makes a lot of sense.

Do you like the sported model? I’m about to bite the bulge on a chrono and wondering if the more expensive one is worth the price

Sporter model works fine. Where it is limited is with big muzzle brakes, you get more clearance with the standard models. The sporter just barely works with my APA gen II fat bastard brake.

I stopped using a magnetospeed once I got a labradar. Time is limited and I hated having to shoot for speed and accuracy separately with a magnetospeed. It does impact barrel harmonics and POI, especially on sporter contour barrels.

Labradar's limitations show when you're on a crowded range and it starts trying to pick up shots from people next to you.