Magnification for hunting?

Are a lot of y’all shooting with magnification in your sights for elk hunting? If so can you give me some quick do this, don’t do this type feedback about it?

Point Man

Lil-Rokslider
Since this is under archery, I believe the gentleman is referring to bow sight magnification, not rifle.
At any rate, I believe that magnification would also increase the pin movement effect. I would not like that, myself when trying to aim.

htlt_surfboards

Lil-Rokslider
Im assuming this is about archery because that's the category its in. I think most guys don't use them because of the conditions you find yourself in while hunting. Any rain or dirt that gets on the lens could be a real problem in the heat of the moment.

I have gotten use to shooting magnification, but I don't use it on a hunting bow. I miss it, but I don't want to put up with it. At 4x with a larger peep I'd want a clarifier, which can be more of a pia than dealing with keeping a lens clear.

Could use 2x, but it doesn't seem worth the hassle.

Keep in mind the X factor also depends on how far out the lens actually is. I bounce around between a 5x and a 6x, using the 6 where the sight is a little closer in and it gives me the same sight pic as a 5x with the sight further out. Just depends on the bow and where it ended up torque tuning.

Personally I also like a smaller housing than I use on a hunting bow to use a lens. That's just a personal preference, use a smaller peep to help keep everything aligned easier. Hunting bow I prefer a larger view.

The general consensus I've seen is it's dumb the use a scope when hunti however I've used a 2x lens in my spot hogg for the last 5 years. Not an elk hunter but I bowhunt spot n stalk .It helps me out at 60+. I have a little scope cover that goes over the sight when I'm stalking or if it starts raining. I also have a little pouch that i can unscrew it off and put it away if needed. Poi doesn't seem to really change but you should double check. I don't need a clarifier either but I think if I used anything more than a 2x youre supposed to.