Tikka KRG bravo scope change maybe

Outcast

FNG
Looking for thoughts on this. I have a Tikka T3X SS 6.5 Creedmoor in a KRG Bravo. Currently wearing a Nightforce SHV 4-14 F1. Weight is 9lb 14oz. I’m looking at saving a bit of weight because where I elk hunt I do 10miles or more a day. I love the stock though. I have a SWFA 6x I’m thinking about putting on it. Any thoughts on if I will give up much due to the magnification? Shots are anywhere from up close to 700 yards.

I have shot the 6x in field situations at rocks at distance but have not had the opportunity to use it at longer range while hunting. A little more magnification is my preference for the target and practice side of things but elk bodies are bigger than many of the targets and steel I shoot so I’m thinking it would be fine.

Thanks.

I think until you mount it and go shoot,( or do a whole range session on 6x) you won't know and think it will likely be personal preference. I read all the 6x is fine out to 6-700 plus posts on here and am trying to be better about shooting on lower power but I tried 6x and it was too much a jump down for me. Our deer/sheep are small though, elk would probably be easier. Lowest I would go is 3x9 so you can still go lower if you want but I am more confident if my wobble stays inside the vitals. the lower power you shoot I felt like my wobble was magnified with the smaller appearing animal. Maybe that's some psychological stuff that will improve, last 6 animals have been 9-12x, when I was used to shooting 20-24x. Also If you think you will shoot prone a lot (so you are steadier) then you can probably get away with less power. Just my experience. I think my bravo Tikka 20" Sportsmatch rings, bubble and 20oz swfa was at 9lb 5oz.

OP
O

Outcast

FNG
Agreed. I worry that I normally like a little more power on the top end. Might try it and put a couple hungered rounds through it at longer range and see how I feel about it then. Or maybe just suck it up and carry the 9oz extra which isn’t much.

PNWGATOR

WKR
Honestly, for a general purpose backpacking rifle for what you‘re describing it might make more sense to pull that CM out of the Bravo and drop it in a RokStok and top it with the 6x.

Put together another purpose built longer range platform to take advantage of the Bravo.

OP
O

Outcast

FNG
I have actually thought about buying a 6.5 prc and doing exactly that!

PNWGATOR

WKR
That’s my 6.5 PRC with a SWFA 3-9.

I‘ve killed elk to 910 with it. Zero issue.

That said, I would like less recoil and and SLIGHTLY more magnification for an additional 300 yds of effective terminal performance.

matthewmt

WKR
I have a 6.5 SL with a 4-14 F1, scope is great but I've been tempted to put my 6x on it for weight savings, with that being said.
I've had the 6x on my 20" 308 lite compact and shot it regularly out too 1000 and hit small targets at 860 regularly. I ended up shooting a buck at less than 40 yds last season with that setup.
I have a 3x9 and another 6x swfa on backorder but thought that a 3x9 and stockys stock would be a killer setup weight wise.

I'd say try the 6x and factory stock or krg or carry the extra weight with the 4-14 F1. Plenty of time before general to play around with setups.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Nothing wrong with having 2 scope options for one rifle. Just get some rings for the 6x that will repeat properly when swapping between them.