MagView magnetic iphone cases that don’t require MagView magnet plate

pirogue

WKR
I haven’t used it a ton with the outdoorsman stud but I will keep you updated.

Initial thoughts/observations is that the magnet ring is not on the side that you take the picture through. The phone sits pretty centered on the binos and balances the weight out.
Thanks. Well that makes sense. When you read “it attaches to one eyecup”, you think your binos are going sag to that side, unless your stud and receiver is full of dirt.

CorbLand

WKR
Thanks. Well that makes sense. When you read “it attaches to one eyecup”, you think your binos are going sag to that side, unless your stud and receiver is full of dirt.
It was confusing until I used it. Basically the ring is on the left eyecup and the picture is taken through the right.

So far, it’s a pretty slick and easy system. I really like that I don’t have to remember to bring anything with me. The plate is attached to my phone case and the ring stays on the binos.

Glassing through the binos with the ring is a little weird and I hope I can get use to it.

pirogue

WKR
Glassing through the binos with the ring is a little weird and I hope I can get use to it.
How long does it take to attach to the binos, in case you don’t want to deal with all the side effects for 2 or 3 hours when you may not even see anything you want a pic of.

CorbLand

WKR
How long does it take to attach to the binos, in case you don’t want to deal with all the side effects for 2 or 3 hours when you may not even see anything you want a pic of.
It doesn’t take long but you would have to pack the Allen wrench around with you. You could probably adjust it to be able to slip on and off but would risk losing it and at 100 bucks a pop, I don’t think I would want to.

krohboy

WKR
I have the MagView and this would be my only complaint though admittedly it is a very small complaint since I don't typically use a wireless charger in the field and I'm ok switching cases since I was already doing that for the PhoneSkope. I looked at Ollin but to me it embodied the part I hated most about the PhoneSkope and that was the bulky case required, though it is more streamlined.

However, I did find cases from MagBak. I haven't tried them yet, but they are magnet cases that are wireless charging compatible. My only hesitation to buy one is that the magnets are in the case and the way I understand the the Magview system to work is the magnet is in the eyepiece adapter and what you stick on the case is just a metal square (which is what hinders wireless charging). Is that correct? They do have a good return policy so maybe I'll just buy one and try it.

You are correct. The magnet is not in the case. The plate that goes on the phone is just a steel plate.

Randy1833

FNG
Magnet is in the eyepiece portion that folds out. Metal is a plate that either attaches to your phone with adhesive, or can slip inside your phone case. I’m running an iPhone 14 Pro Max with an Otterbox MagSafe case, and swap it out for a case without MagSafe, and the metal plate slipped in, when digiscoping.

sneaky

"DADDY"
So then, you can’t charge your phone wirelessly in todays modern vehicles, with this outdated design?
Sure you can, you can take the half second to pop your phone out of the case and set it in the charger. It's not as complicated as you're making it out to be.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
Are any of you users using the Outdoorsman stud, or any other center support for the binos? And does the magnet only fit on one eyecup? If so, seems like the weight of the magnet will tilt the binos, and be a PIA.
Hate to break it to you, but any phone adapter is going to put more weight on one side once you put your phone on it. You're trying to over complicate this.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Are any of you users using the Outdoorsman stud, or any other center support for the binos? And does the magnet only fit on one eyecup? If so, seems like the weight of the magnet will tilt the binos, and be a PIA.
Been using the Outdoorsmans stud for years. You can lock it in to place when you add any adapter to it to phone scope something.

I just got a MagView and set it up. I do not like the magnet being on My phone case preventing wireless charging etc. Has anyone found a case that has a magnet in it already that is strong enough to use for the MagView without using the magnetic plate? I read a review on gohunt that a customer did and he said he used a rokform iPhone case and didn’t use the MagView magnet.
Tia

Edited

Repost:
I haven’t read the reply’s here but I just got a magnetic phone holder from @mouscase online. The steel piece that comes imbedded in the phone case isn’t located in the exact spot needed to hold the phone in for the magview window to align perfectly, however just laying the thin steel plate (that came with the magview) in between the phone and case works perfectly. The actual phone case sticks to a magnet/mounting system I mounted in my truck and will likely also work perfectly for another similar one I bought years ago that I have mounted to the console of my boat.

The good thing about this set up is my mouscase phone case is almost identical to the one I was using anyway but the magnet would not stick to my case. Now I don’t even have to use the sticky backed part of the plate it just rest in between the phone and case when I need it.

Also the phone case company has magnetic charging mount options that hold your phone in place and charge or the typical desktop charging option.

Last edited:
I saw that magview has a new wireless charging compatible plate.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230708_080308_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230708_080308_Chrome.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 23
Has anybody tried the wireless charging plate? Curious on how it was working before I bought it. Only see one review on their website with not a stellar report…

jpndave

FNG
Edited

Repost:
I haven’t read the reply’s here but I just got a magnetic phone holder from @mouscase online. The steel piece that comes imbedded in the phone case isn’t located in the exact spot needed to hold the phone in for the magview window to align perfectly, however just laying the thin steel plate (that came with the magview) in between the phone and case works perfectly. The actual phone case sticks to a magnet/mounting system I mounted in my truck and will likely also work perfectly for another similar one I bought years ago that I have mounted to the console of my boat.

The good thing about this set up is my mouscase phone case is almost identical to the one I was using anyway but the magnet would not stick to my case. Now I don’t even have to use the sticky backed part of the plate it just rest in between the phone and case when I need it.

Also the phone case company has magnetic charging mount options that hold your phone in place and charge or the typical desktop charging option.
Any follow-ups on this? I cut the plate as shown here carefully after downloading a teardown video on the S22 to allow it to Qi charge. I took a screenshot, printed it in actual size, and then cut the plate to just clear the charging ring. It has worked fine. I just ordered the S24+ and am searching for cases. This looks like a viable option. There are also cases and rings to use with Apple's MagSafe charging. Does anyone know if those will work with the Magview system? It would be great if I could get a case or the stick-on rings for MagSafe and cover both bases.

20240118_110620.jpg

Last edited:
Any follow-ups on this? I cut the plate as shown here carefully after downloading a teardown video on the S22 to allow it to Qi charge. I took a screenshot, printed it in actual size, and then cut the plate to just clear the charging ring. It has worked fine. I just ordered the S24+ and am searching for cases. This looks like a viable option. There are also cases and rings to use with Apple's MagSafe charging. Does anyone know if those will work with the Magview system? It would be great if I could get a case or the stick-on rings for MagSafe and cover both bases.

View attachment 659206
This is where I got my phone case from, it has a magnetic holder and charging system but it will not line up correctly to the mag view. I just place the thin steel plate that came with the mag view inside the case and it sticks to my spotting scope perfectly. I don’t know if it will charge with the extra plate on the inside of the case, I haven’t tried that yet, but it’s easy enough to take the case off and remove the steel plate if it doesn’t charge.

slimbw3

FNG
Has anyone found a phone case that will work with the Magview without using the Magview metal plate?