Making powered booze

kaboku68

WKR
Making powdered booze

Folks,

Has anybody tried this?
http://www.popsci.com/article/technology/how-make-powdered-booze-home
I am going to do some experimentation with this in the coming weeks. I would love folks to share their results.

I am wondering if it would work with Wild Turkey 101 or Maybe some 151 Rum?

I want to be able to make some cocktails or hot buttered rum on the glacier this year.

Sincerely,
Thomas

Last edited:

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Thomas that is very interesting.
Let me know how it goes man! Cocktail on the glacier would be pretty sweet. Without too much effort I imagine you could have it "on the rocks" too huh? :D

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am also interested in your results Thomas, so please keep us posted.

I thought the how to article was really interesting...my question is, what is the advantage of powdering the alcohol? It would obviously be less dense, but unless I am thinking about this the wrong way, the weight of the alcohol would be the same whether it was liquid or powdered. In fact, wouldn't the powdered alcohol actually be heavier because you have added the weight (according to the article 100g) of N Zorbit? Only the powdered alcohol will take up a greater volume than the liquid would have. I am basing this on the assumption that the liquid is absorbed but retained, I.e. Not evaporated. Maybe I am thinking about this all wrong, so help me see the advantage of powdering because now I am super curious!

Why not just haul a flask of rum up to the glacier and mix it with water and another powdered mixer once you get there?

OP
K

kaboku68

WKR
My guess is that with the N Zorbit that absorbs the alcohol that you can work to suck out the water with silicia tabs. It mentions this in the article. The goal would be to be able to pull the water out of the alcohol without losing the alcohol. This would be a tremendous weight dropper. So imagine a 750 mL bottle of 151 that only weights 200 mL.

We also have a dehydrator so if the N Zorbit can keep the active alcohol without evaporating the alcohol it would be able to be a very compact method for celebrations or night caps.

I was looking into this recently. My hunting partner is a chemist. We've been interested in this for a while...

There is a video of a guy that tried this. It might be on Instructables. I forget the details, but not only did it require you to consume a huge amount of the mix to feel any affect, but it was really unpleasant.

If you need lightweight booze that badly, I think ever everclear is the easiest solution.

this year I will be packing a 12 pack of beer and a bit of whiskey six and a half miles up a mountain with a smile on my face. If you're gonna be dumb you gotta be tough.

Interesting idea on the powdered booze though lol

ChrisS

WKR
I don't need booze when I'm backpacking, but a little whiskey around the fire is quite nice. I'll usually bring a 250ml nalgene filled with whiskey and some instant lemonade packets for backcountry whiskey sours.